Beef stew over egg noodles

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Beef Stew based on a William Sonoma recipe with some additions and changes.

Ingredients:
5 1/2 lb. chuck-eye roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
4 oz. pancetta, cut into small dice (or un smoked bakon)
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 yellow onions, coarsely chopped
4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme (dry will work also just use 1 tsp.)
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup full-bodied red wine
2 cups beef stock
1 Tbs. veal or beef demi-glace (I use the William Sonoma brand though expensive it lasts and it great for other dishes and gravies.)

Mushrooms (optional but I used a dozen sliced with stems both crimini and button mixed)

Buttered parsleyed noodles for serving
Minced fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish

Directions:
Season the beef generously with salt and pepper.
In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the pancetta until browned and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pancetta to a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.

Increase the heat to medium-high. Working in batches, brown the beef on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes per batch. Transfer the beef to a large bowl.

Reduce the heat to medium and warm the olive oil. Add the onions and carrots and sauté until almost softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme and bay leaves and sauté for about 30 seconds. Stir in the flour and cook until lightly colored, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the wine, stirring to scrape up the browned bits from the pan bottom. Add the stock, demi-glace and the reserved pancetta and bring to a simmer. Return the beef to the pan, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the meat is tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Add mushrooms about 30 minutes before is should be done if using. Remove the bay leaves and discard. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper. Serve the stew over buttered parsleyed noodles and garnish with parsley.

Serves 8 to 10.

chowhound

I was thinking of picking up some egg noodles for the stew I made last night.
mmm, stew over egg noodles... good stuff. And filling.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I like to coat the egg noodles with melted butter too and parsley before putting the stew over it.