New SERVER should fix email issue and give us SSL

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I want to thank all our members who have put up with lack of email notification that has been going on for over a year. Some members get the notification but many do not. This is due to my email server not being 'recognized' by google/gmail and other big email carriers. Part of the issue was my server was marked as a spammer and the other part was I could not afford SSL for this site or for the mail server.

I have looked and looked for an affordable way to fix this to no avail. So, I'm going to bite the bullet and commit to move to another server that offers everything we need but it costs twice the price of my current set up. If I wanna play, I gots to pay.

So, we most likely will experience an outage or two as I try to make this work. I will post a notice but if you are not online that day don't fret, we will be back as soon as possible.

We will be on a new IP address so it is imperative that you know how to flush your dns records so your browser will point you to the new IP where FF will be hosted. I have a lot of work to do before this happens but hoping sometime in the next week or two to move to the new environment.

To flush DNS on windows computers go to command prompt and type:
ipconfig /flushdns [and hit enter]

more info on this here: https://www.wikihow.com/Flush-DNS

Keep this info handy as when the site is not available you won't be able to see this post.

Be ready. Working with host admins now. We might be down for a day or two. Refresh your dns / flushdns to get to the new server the quickest once we are up.

Working with them I am not in control of when we drop off line. So this is the only notice you will see on this. It could happen tomorrow or ....later this week. Thanks for your patience.

Wish me Luck!!!!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
MIgration request is in. I had no clue they would move the data for me. So Tomorrow morning I will turn off forums and do the update dns names. 24 to 48 hours later everyone should be able to resolve the new server if all goes right. If not ....well I don't want to talk about that. Never fear, we will be back.

If things do not work I will redirect back here ....but again 24 to 48 hours to propagate.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This effort was A major FAIL.
Sorry for the wasted days of downtime. Sure did not work out ask I had hoped.
Glad to be back up and running on ole faithful. :D :clap:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Awwww, Doc, thanks for trying something new!

Glad to be back!

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If you see this you are seeing us on a new server. Email should now work for ALL members.
If you notice anything not working as it should please post about it here or PM me.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the site itself is not showing up as https
is it just the email server?
(did the flush thing . . )

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
All did not go exactly as I had envisioned.
I have not put the SSL in yet. Working on my other forums to get all up here then I will experiment with adding SSL ...then I have to upgrade from this antiquated software. I love VB 3 ..but it and PHP 5.4 are way past end of life and hacks are being spread around the black hat sites. I feel like we are playing with fire.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
All did not go exactly as I had envisioned.
I have not put the SSL in yet. Working on my other forums to get all up here then I will experiment with adding SSL ...then I have to upgrade from this antiquated software. I love VB 3 ..but it and PHP 5.4 are way past end of life and hacks are being spread around the black hat sites. I feel like we are playing with fire.

Grrrr.
:neutral: