Ghirardelli's Chocolate Chip Cookies -- Amount of Sugar?

FryBoy

This is a bit odd. Our cookie stash was running low and DW requested that I replenish it. I found part of a bag Ghirardelli Chocolate Chips in the cupboard and decided to make chocolate chip cookies. However, instead of following my usual recipe, I decided to try the recipe on the bag. They turned our very thin, although crispy, and judging from the dough, VERY sweet.

After making the cookies, I went to the Ghirardelli website and discovered that the recipe for chocolate chip cookies on the site was different from the recipe on the package. It's exactly the same except that the package recipe, which I followed, has more sugar. The on-line version calls for ¾ cup of white and ¾ cup of brown sugar, but the package recipe calls for 1 cup of each.

Here's the link to the recipe: CLICK ME

I'm not sure if this would make a difference in the texture of the cookie, but I suspect it would.

What do you think?

Here's the end result of the package recipe:

Attachments

• Ghirardelli Chocolate Chip Cookies.jpg
    Ghirardelli Chocolate Chip Cookies.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 970

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
It will most definitely make a difference in the cookie.

Like fats, sugars liquefy in the oven. The type and amount of sugar used play a big part in the texture, taste and look of your cookie.

White sugar makes a crisper cookie than brown sugar or honey. Cookies made from brown sugar absorb moisture after baking, helping them to stay chewy.

Most chocolate chip cookie recipes call for both brown and white sugar. If you lower the amount of sugar called for in a cookie recipe, it will make the cookie puffier. Since the cookie recipe you used called for more sugar than the recipe on the website, your cookie came out flatter.

FryBoy

That all seems consistent with what I've observed with these cookies. Thanks, Mama.

BTW, they're chewier than I thought they would be, crisp mostly around the edges, very sweet, but certainly delicious!

Johnny West

I'll try their chips next time. Today I bought a double chocolate brownie mix to make special brownies next week.

Here is my grandmother's recipe. She'd be 122 now and still miss her.

Grandma B's Chocholate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup of shortening
1 tsp soda
2 Tbs hot water
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 small package chocolate chips

Cream shortening and sugars; add eggs and beat well;