trivia 3/12

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
trivia 3/12
DID YOU KNOW...
toilets account for 35% of indoor water use!
1. The world's tallest obelisk is located in what U.S. city ?
2. In the famous Longfellow poem, what was Hiawatha's wife's name
3. what famous artist took up painting when her fingers became too stiff for her to continue her favorite past-time, embroidery ?
4. Name that State;
Chaco Canyon, Carlsbad Caverns, Badlands wilderness
5. Name that Cocktail ;
The original recipe used gin, cherry brandy, and Benedictine (most often in equal parts). The drink was shaken and strained into a glass, and then filled to individual taste with club soda.
the modern recipe reads;
Gin-Cherry Brandy-Pineapple Juice-Lime Juice-Cointreau-Benedictine-Grenadine-A Dash of Angostura Bitters-Garnish with a slice of Pineapple and Cherry...
6. Before going solo and changing to the Country venue, Kenny Rogers headed up what rock group ?
7. Which of Shakespeare's works contains the quote, "Now is the winter of our discontent / Made glorious by this sun of York........"
8. Which children's TV title characters have a vacuum cleaner named "Noo Noo" ?
TRUTH OR CRAP ??
During the Spanish-American war, the United States lost 5 times as many troops to disease as was lost to enemy action.
1. Washington D.C.
2. Minnehaha
3. Grandma Moses
4. New Mexico
5. Singapore sling
6. The First Edition
7. Richard III
8. The Teletubbies
Crap !!
As a matter of fact, the losses to disease was THIRTEEN times higher than losses due to enemy fire.
The three month-long engagement between Spanish and American troops on the island of Cuba cost the lives of 380 soldiers in combat, and another 5,006 to various diseases.
Of the 380 soldiers killed in action, 230 were U.S. Calvary volunteers, known as the "Rough Riders", who fell in the famous charge up San Juan Hill.

Calicolady

Poo, poo.

Thought I knew #1, but wasn't sure it was the WORLD's largest.
#4, I thought was S. Dakota, as you said "badlands".

All in all, one big fat GOOSE EGG, again.
Thanks, lt.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
there's no way I would have missed Singapore Sling....... I spent eight years of my life, one night, on singapore slings !

Calicolady

I had "slings back in the 70's but didn't know what was in them. I never knew I had ever had gin. Who cared? Just get me another! LOL!

Calicolady

Cool pics, lt. I thing S.D. Badlands are one of the coolest places to go also. Especially at sunup and sundown. The colors are awesome, and landscape does seem "other worldly".
Cool beans!