Okay Trivia crew.... Uncle Lucky needs......

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
......................an answer.

Question; When you buy the typical steak or roast at the local chain supermarket, how long, on average, has that cow been dead ??

I've not been able to find a definitive answer, so I'm throwing it to my minions.................

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Your only prize is the knowledge that you've found an answer to a question that I couldn't ..............

oh,alright.....if somebody answers this, I'll send 'em a PDF copy of my Hillbilly Cookbook Vol. 1.................

FryBoy

Depends. Dry-aging beef can take up to a month or more, but wet-aging beef takes only a few days. The average industry time for aging beef before cutting the carcass into retail cuts is about seven days. Most of the beef offered for sale as retail cuts at supermarkets is aged from 5 to 7 days. Beef for certain restaurants is aged from 14 to 21 days, primarily to obtain the strong aged beef flavor. CLICKY and CLICKY

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Good job, FryBoy; now, more to the point, after they "age" it and cut it up, does it ship like that or is it frozen, and if it's frozen, how long does it "hang around" somewhere befor my market gets it and cuts it into steaks, chops, etc. ?

FryBoy

If it's been frozen, markets have to tell you that. Once frozen and thawed, meat should not be refrozen.

Most markets and chains sell their meat ASAP. It's an investment in stock and because they operate on very low margins -- as low as 2% in this area -- they can't afford to have a lot of money tied up in meat. It's a variation of the modern "just in time" theory.

Last edited:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Gotcha ! and really good to know ...............

(BTW- "just in time" drives me crazy sometimes.......... cylinders are in the press, but the material is in a truck somewhere on I-95 ! Or, Material is at press, and cylinders are somewhere on the Pa. Turnpike!)