COVID-19

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I go on early for the over 60 hours. Soncectgey stock overnight, I can usually get a 4 pack. I dont hoard.

I don't understand. What/where is that site? Maybe it's a local thing for you because I can't find it.

The tp I finally got came from Sam's.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Go on Wal-Mart.com early, like 4:30, 5, and keep trying. They make some available every so often apparently. that's how I got TP and paper towels, wipes, and cough/cold meds. Have to be fast. If you want free shipping, put other stuff you need in your cart so you can add the TP or whatever and check out ASAP!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I don't understand. What/where is that site? Maybe it's a local thing for you because I can't find it.

The tp I finally got came from Sam's.

In NJ most grocery stores are opening an hou early for folks over 60 only. Works well as stocking is overnight.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
The brand name toilet paper I ordered on March 13 from Amazon finally shipped yesterday...

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I find it rather odd that some of you are still suffering the tp shortages where you are.
It's not been an issue here for weeks now.
The stores are stocked with everything as they normally are.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Not the case in NJ. I cycle between 3 stores. None have significant TP. Produce is hit or miss. Meat seem OK. Cleaning supplies are in quite short supply.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I find it rather odd that some of you are still suffering the tp shortages where you are.
It's not been an issue here for weeks now.
The stores are stocked with everything as they normally are.

Larger cities, denser populations maybe?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
For the past 8 months or so we have ordered a box of TP from amazon. Twice in 8 months. Have tried to reorder since end of March. Amazon is still out of stock on most TP brands. Since TP and Paper towels take up so much room in a grocery cart and they are light to ship I have went to using Amazon. Very handy.

Attempting to do a pick up order from Walmart and I'm shocked by how many items they claim are out of stock. My pickup is not until Tuesday yet they are out of coffee creamer, chicken breasts, bacon, diet coke, marine grease tube, ...odd that they appear to be so low on a lot of items. Canceled the order and will have to make a trip to a different store ...and then stop at auto parts store for the marine lube grease. No biggie. I simply like the convenience of the pick up order.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Larger cities, denser populations maybe?

Perhaps.
But I don't live far from Toledo or Detroit MI.
One would think warehouse shipment from trucker to store would have adverse effect on a town like this relatively small in comparison.
Hasn't been the case.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Not the case in NJ. I cycle between 3 stores. None have significant TP. Produce is hit or miss. Meat seem OK. Cleaning supplies are in quite short supply.

Around here, you can forget getting ground beef. I don't use it often except for tacos or meatloaf. Paper products from Walmart are always out of stock too, so I ordered some from Sam's and should get some shortly.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Around here, you can forget getting ground beef. I don't use it often except for tacos or meatloaf. Paper products from Walmart are always out of stock too, so I ordered some from Sam's and should get some shortly.

The fresh ground beef has been in a shorter supply than those rolls of packaged ground beef, which I'll only use in a pinch.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm going to watch Governor Abbott give his live address at 2:30 on how he plans to open back up the state and economy of Texas. I don't know about all this, so I'm trying to keep an open mind and just listen to what he has to say. I know the small businesses are suffering, and I feel for them.

I watched Governor Cuomo several weeks ago on a live segment about his plans for opening back up New York and how he planned to coordinate with New Jersey and Connecticut. He made a lot of sense. I really liked him. He seemed very intelligent and eloquent while still maintaining his sense of humor. I don't even know what has happened since then in NY/NJ/Conn.

Why I say Cuomo has a sense so humor: There was this young reporter in his audience who kept pressing him about a single point. After going through his response, Cuomo said...I'm going to go through this one more time for you because I realize it's Sunday. :lol:

Disclaimer: I don't know a thing in the world about his political views, so this is not political. I have a hard time just trying to keep up with my own state's politics and the US politics.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Cuomo (NY) and Murphy (NJ) have both recieved high Mark's for their handling of this crisis. Staying away from politics, timexwill tell how anyone did. I feel that life will never be the same, I view that ad a good and a bad thing.

Andy

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Cuomo (NY) and Murphy (NJ) have both recieved high Mark's for their handling of this crisis. Staying away from politics, timexwill tell how anyone did. I feel that life will never be the same, I view that ad a good and a bad thing.

Andy

All this has probably hit your business pretty hard. Hang in there. I do feel like we will get back to normal, maybe not real soon, but we will.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I'm going to watch Governor Abbott give his live address at 2:30 on how he plans to open back up the state and economy of Texas. I don't know about all this, so I'm trying to keep an open mind and just listen to what he has to say. I know the small businesses are suffering, and I feel for them.

I watched Governor Cuomo several weeks ago on a live segment about his plans for opening back up New York and how he planned to coordinate with New Jersey and Connecticut. He made a lot of sense. I really liked him. He seemed very intelligent and eloquent while still maintaining his sense of humor. I don't even know what has happened since then in NY/NJ/Conn.

Why I say Cuomo has a sense so humor: There was this young reporter in his audience who kept pressing him about a single point. After going through his response, Cuomo said...I'm going to go through this one more time for you because I realize it's Sunday. :lol:

Disclaimer: I don't know a thing in the world about his political views, so this is not political. I have a hard time just trying to keep up with my own state's politics and the US politics.

Texas' stay-at-home order to expire Thursday, businesses to reopen in phases starting Friday
Andrew O'Reilly By Andrew O'Reilly | Fox News

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/te...nd-friday-with-businesses-reopening-in-phases

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott detailed plans on Monday to reopen the state for business amid the coronavirus pandemic – allowing places like retail stores, restaurants and movie theaters to open up to customers at a limited capacity by Friday May 1.

The move by Abbot puts Texas – the country’s second largest economy behind California – at the forefront of the movement to reopen state economies that have been basically brought to a standstill as the U.S. grapples with the outbreak of COVID-19.

“We’re not just going to pen up and hope for the best,” Abbott said during a news conference on Monday in Austin. “We’re going to open in way that will also contain the virus and keep us safe.”

He added: "A more strategic approach is required so that we don’t open only to close down again.”

Along with retail stores, restaurants and movie theaters, Abbott said that museums and libraries can also reopen on Friday at a 25 percent capacity. Sole proprietors of businesses can also open and doctors and dentists can resume normal operations as well.

Abbott added that hospitals will still have to keep 50 percent of their capacity for patients suffering from COVID-19.

Churches and places of worship, which were allowed to remain open during the state’s stay-at-home orders, are also allowed to expand their capacity provided safe social distancing measures are still enacted.

Barber shops, hair salons and bars will still remain closed.

The governor’s plan, which he said has the backing of both state and federal health officials, is part of larger strategy in Texas to gradually reopen businesses. Abbott noted that by May 18, if there are no new spikes of contagion in Texas than he will move on to phases two of the plan, which almost businesses to operate at 50 percent capacity.

“We will open in a way that employs safe standards,” he said, noting that places like China and Singapore have seen a second wave of infections after reopening too early. “There is a reason why all businesses in Texas can’t reopen all at once.”

Texas, which has so far seen 25,297 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus with 663 deaths, is one of a number states that have opened up or have plans to soon open their economies.

Mississippi lifted its stay-at-home orders and is alloweing businesses to operate at 50 percent capacity. Montana is permitting retail businesses to become operational if they can adhere to requirements to limit capacity and maintain strict physical distancing and in Tennessee, restaurants are able to reopen at 50 percent occupancy.

Arkansas, Indiana and Iowa are allowing elective surgeries to take place, while Kentucky is permitting non-urgent/emergent health care services, diagnostic radiology and lab services to take place in limited settings and Indiana . Also, Colorado is letting retail stores to open for curbside deliveries.

Minnesota is now letting industrial, manufacturing and office-based businesses that are not customer-facing" to return to work.

Abbott’s announcement comes as the Trump administration is drawing up new guidelines for how restaurants, schools, churches and businesses can safely reopen nationwide. A draft of the White House’s plan includes suggestions such as closing break rooms at offices, using disposable menus in restaurants and having students eat lunch in their classrooms.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Barber shops, hair salons and bars will still remain closed.

I’m disappointed. I need a haircut and would have stopped for a beer on the way home from the barbershop :yankchain:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I’m disappointed. I need a haircut and would have stopped for a beer on the way home from the barbershop :yankchain:

Wear a pony tail and have your beer at home :mrgreen:

Thanks for the printed version. I heard most of that, but it's nice to have a printed version to refer back to.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Apparently it's anytime, anywhere now while out in public.
Should have had this mandation in order months ago.
Just my opinion.

FB_IMG_1588076762382.jpg

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Just watched Governor Abbott live again. What he's saying makes sense to me. He's just slowly opening up certain businesses with limits for occupancy. After gauging how that rolls, he indicated that he will either cut back or go forward with Phase II.

He also said that his staff has been working closely with hair salons and barber shops to find some kind of safe way for them to re-open.

I know they need to work and earn some income. Maybe some of this is all about choice. If the salons/barber shops/whatever businesses choose to take the risk and re-open, then they can. If the public chooses to take the risk for a haircut or whatever, then they can.

So Jim Slagle, Abbott is working on that ponytail problem :).

I'm anxious to see how our state is going to deal with our high school seniors. I read some info the other day about relaxing testing guidelines, which I think is really smart. I don't think those kids who are about to graduate should be punished for something they have no control over.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
So Jim Slagle, Abbott is working on that ponytail problem

I have a solution. I’m letting my sideburns grow a little more so I can do a combover to cover the bald spots.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Quote of the Day ;
(Decision in the Lawsuit brought by “Tea Party” against Mich.
Governor’s ‘Stay at Home’ order...)
“The rights claimed by the plaintiffs are fundamental, but those liberty interests are, and always have been, subject to society’s interests – society being our fellow residents. They – our fellow residents – have an interest to remain unharmed by a highly communicable and cdeadly virus, and since the state entered the Union in 1837, it has had the broad power to act for the public health of the entire state when faced with a public crisis.”
- Judge Christopher Murray

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I have a solution. I’m letting my sideburns grow a little more so I can do a combover to cover the bald spots.

I was afraid that you were going to take me seriously with my first ponytail comment. I'm glad to see that you have a good sense of humor. We all need to keep our sense of humor right now.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I was afraid that you were going to take me seriously with my first ponytail comment. I'm glad to see that you have a good sense of humor. We all need to keep our sense of humor right now.

I’ve had a fair amount of health problems last few years.

Having a sense of humor keeps me going!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Coronavirus cases, deaths rise in Texas after state reopens
By Melissa Klein May 16, 2020 | 2:29pm

Coronavirus cases are on the rise in Texas since the Lone Star state started reopening almost three weeks ago, new numbers show.
The case count hit 45,198 Friday, up 1,347 from the day before, ABC News reported.
The death toll has increased as well, reaching a record 58 fatalities on Thursday and 56 on Friday. The total death count stood at 1,272 Friday.
A spokesman for Gov. Greg Abbott told ABC News that an increase in testing was contributing to a rise in the number of cases. The spokesman said hospitalizations had remained steady.
Texas lifted its stay-at-home order April 30 with a phased reopening. Shops and restaurants are already back in business and gyms are set to reopen Monday.

Filed under Coronavirus , texas , 5/16/20