Status
Not open for further replies.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Re: What are you baking today?

I made Outback Bushman Bread:

P2220568-1.jpg

It's definitely a keeper. I'm going to try different ways of freezing it for DD's wedding.

Last edited:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter

Mama, that is a beautiful bread! Wow! Lovely texture and crumb. Good luck with the freezing. Hey, I wonder if one of those food savers with the special bags that keeps the air away from the food would enable you to freeze the breads but you would have to let them come to room temp to unfreeze without unwrapping and you might need to reheat. Just a thought, Mama.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

I'm going to try freezing the unbaked dough, freezing par-baked loaves and freezing baked loaves. I'll experiment with both a food saver and also wrapping the loaves in plastic wrap and then in bread bags and see which turn out best.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter

I don't think that freezing par-baked loaves will work. I would imagine that between the oven and the freezer, the yeast would lose the spring it would need to continue rising in the oven when you attempt to finish baking them.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

I don't think that freezing par-baked loaves will work. I would imagine that between the oven and the freezer, the yeast would lose the spring it would need to continue rising in the oven when you attempt to finish baking them.
I would agree with that, Susan. But I was just thinking about those dinner rolls you buy in the store that are not fully baked. How do they do that? If you have some time today, you might want to research that for Mama. I have a full day today, starting a new kitchenette/wine bar installation, otherwise I'd look into it. Cabinets will arrive this morning from Mentor Lumber.

BTW, Mama. Beautiful crumb on that bread. I agree that it looks like a keeper.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

I have a Biga going through its first rise, and will punch it down and refrigerate it before going to work this morning. Tomorrow morning I will make some Italian bread from this Biga according to Reinhart's recipe in the T[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bread-Bakers-Apprentice-Mastering-Extraordinary/dp/1580082688/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235390877&sr=8-1"]he Bread Baker's Apprentice[/ame]. After getting somewhat proficient at everyday bread recipes, I'm ready to get into some of the artisan procedures that Reinhart teaches. Should be fun.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter

You will have a blast. However, if you noted what I wrote in the semolina bread recipe, sometimes you have to figure out how much flavor you like in your bread. Sometimes starters make very yeasty, sour breads and I do not mean that in a good way.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

What are you guys baking today? I got done a couple hours earl today, so I'm baking to restock the freezer. I'm making 20 sandwich rolls, two loaves of Italian Bread and two loaves of Rye Bread. Pictures to follow when they all come out of the oven.

homecook

I've been wanting to bake a loaf of rye and some honey wheat bread, I just don't have the time to devote to it right now. Hopefully by the weekend I'll get it in gear!!

suziquzie

I'm kinda bored and feel like baking.... maybe some burger buns and I'll grill burgers for dinner.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

What are you guys baking today? I got done a couple hours earl today, so I'm baking to restock the freezer. I'm making 20 sandwich rolls, two loaves of Italian Bread and two loaves of Rye Bread. Pictures to follow when they all come out of the oven.

How did your other Italian bread that you froze turn out?

FryBoy

I would agree with that, Susan. But I was just thinking about those dinner rolls you buy in the store that are not fully baked. How do they do that? If you have some time today, you might want to research that for Mama. I have a full day today, starting a new kitchenette/wine bar installation, otherwise I'd look into it. Cabinets will arrive this morning from Mentor Lumber.

BTW, Mama. Beautiful crumb on that bread. I agree that it looks like a keeper.
It is possible and can be done well -- although I don't have a clue how to do it (I'm not a bread baker). La Brea Bakery is probably the most famous bakery in SoCal. They began distributing frozen, partially baked loaves and rolls to restaurants and other outlets some time back, and the results are super. Here's link to the description of the process on their website, which some of you bread bakers may find useful in figuring out how to do the same at home: LINK

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter

Nada right now, but since DW is making Ox Tail soup, I should do some wheat bread to go along with it. If I was more talented, I would do rolls... does anybody think I can make decent rolls using a large muffin tin?

suziquzie

My MIL does Mav.... just plop like 2 oz of your favorite dough in a muffin pan and POOF!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

How did your other Italian bread that you froze turn out?
Thanks for reminding me. I put 4 loaves in the freezer about two weeks ago, and we just finished the last loaf at lunch today. We've made sandwiches (2 slices at a time), as well as pulling a whole loaf out and letting it defrost on the counter, then making toast and sammies from it. A defrosted loaf lasts about 3 days and then it's only good for toast. We didn't notice any appreciable loss of flavor, and 20 seconds in the nuke was all that was needed to thaw two slices. In short, you shouldn't have any problem with bread made 1-2 weeks ahead and frozen as soon as it gets to room temp.

Joe

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

If I'm boring you guys to tears, just let me know and I'll stop putting up these repetitive pictures...Sandwich rolls, Italian and Rye.

Bread030509.jpg

Calicolady

1st one gets liverwurst, swiss and raw onion.
2nd gets my nice dipping oil. But don't slice it, just tear a hunk off.
oh yum

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

1st one gets liverwurst, swiss and raw onion.
2nd gets my nice dipping oil. But don't slice it, just tear a hunk off.
oh yum
I'll bring the bread, get the wurst ready. Oh, and a little mayo for me. I also like to tear off a piece now and then. :agree:

Calicolady

Oh, ah, mayo on the onion side, mustard on the wurst side. Try it, you'll like it.
I guess a beer would be in order? But I'm not a beer drinker. I do like an ale once in a while - maybe twice a year.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter

I bought my hamantaschen supplies. Now, all I need is to get my mom stabilized so I can have the free time to bake! [wink wink wink]

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

Thanks for reminding me. I put 4 loaves in the freezer about two weeks ago, and we just finished the last loaf at lunch today. We've made sandwiches (2 slices at a time), as well as pulling a whole loaf out and letting it defrost on the counter, then making toast and sammies from it. A defrosted loaf lasts about 3 days and then it's only good for toast. We didn't notice any appreciable loss of flavor, and 20 seconds in the nuke was all that was needed to thaw two slices. In short, you shouldn't have any problem with bread made 1-2 weeks ahead and frozen as soon as it gets to room temp.

Joe

Thanks Joe!

Status
Not open for further replies.