My Rib Rub

LADawg

Back in the late 1990's, just before the internet really got started, I was on a computer service named Prodigy. They had several bulletin boards and one was about BBQ and the such. There was a man named Steve Burk who wrote in saying that he boarded a plain in Atlanta for a flight back to his home in Phoenix. He just happened to sit next to a man who claimed he had won first place in ribs at the Memphis in May cooking contest. He gave Dave a recipe for what he claimed he used. I copied the recipe and started using it. Over the first couple of years I made modifications to fit my taste, and have used this rub on ribs or Pork Butts every since.

MY DRY RUB
4 Teaspoons Hungarian Paprika
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Teaspoons Onion Powder
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon White Pepper
1 Teaspoon Mustard Powder
1 1/2 Teaspoons Granulated Brown Sugar
Place all ingredients in a lidded container or sealable plastic bag. Shake several times to mix. Be sure it’s well mixed. Store in a lidded glass container for up to 6 weeks or longer.

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The one I've been using is similar and I've saved yours. I like different rubs, so thanks for posting it.

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sweet paprika ( I use hot)
1/4 cup kosher salt
3 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil

Combine all and mix well. Yeields about 3/4 cup

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
Back in the late 1990's, just before the internet really got started, I was on a computer service named Prodigy. They had several bulletin boards and one was about BBQ and the such. There was a man named Steve Burk who wrote in saying that he boarded a plain in Atlanta for a flight back to his home in Phoenix. He just happened to sit next to a man who claimed he had won first place in ribs at the Memphis in May cooking contest. He gave Dave a recipe for what he claimed he used. I copied the recipe and started using it. Over the first couple of years I made modifications to fit my taste, and have used this rub on ribs or Pork Butts every since.

MY DRY RUB
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Teaspoons Onion Powder
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon White Pepper
Place all ingredients in a lidded container or sealable plastic bag. Shake several times to mix. Be sure it’s well mixed. Store in a lidded glass container for up to 6 weeks or longer.

Thanks for this, I will save it and give it a try, cheaper and better then buying prepared ones. I remember Prodigy, I was a Compuserve customer and was on a food forum called cooks online still miss them...

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Lovin the rubs, I like to rollmy own too. Next the I am at a real counter instead of a handheld, I shall post mind.

Thank you both for posting. Ooooohhjjj time for the thanks button

Andy

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
I went to compuServe forum (thanks) and cannot figure how to join! I can see the same people are there from 20 years ago!!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Be sure to tell your friends how you found the forum belaine and maybe even invite them to join us wonderful folks over here :w00t:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I thought that I'd also get in on the action. Hah! Simple, but very good!

Here's MY favorite dry rub;

Ingredients;

1/4 cup course kosher or sea salt.

1/4 cup packed brown sugar.

1 teaspoon dry mustard.

1/4 cup paprika.

3 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper (part of it can also be smoked ground black pepper for a smoky taste).

1 tablespoon garlic powder.

1 tablespoon dried onion flakes or onion powder.

1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, Cajun seasoning or both (for a little bit of heat).

1/2 teaspoon celery seeds.

1 tablespoon Sylvia's Seasoning.

Directions;

Combine all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Stir or whisk with a wire whip to thoroughly mix together.

Sprinkle rub over pork, beef, chicken or fish such as salmon.

You can cook the meat at once, or for an even richer flavor, let it marinate for 2 to 4 hours or overnight in the fridge!

This recipe makes approximately 1 cup, but since I like it so much, and it is my favorite one to use, I always quadruple the recipe in order to keep a lot of it on hand for those times when I want to do a pork roast, babyback ribs or a rotisserie chicken!

The rub will keep for several months in a tightly sealed jar. Store away from heat and light. Enjoy! :wink: :eating2:

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
Thanks for your rub ingredients, I am not familiar with Sylvia's seasoning, will look for it.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks for your rub ingredients, I am not familiar with Sylvia's seasoning, will look for it.

You welcome!

Here's a pic of it (below). I've also provided a link. Actually, it is called Sylvia's Secret Seasoning. I use it in just about everything that I cook, from meats to rice to veggies!! I also like to keep a lot of THAT on hand as well! It takes care of and provides the dried herbs in the dry rub.

It can be found in your local supermarket. There's also a link there with the one below in which you can order it online. :brows:

http://www.sylviassoulfood.com/SecretSeasoning.html

Attachments

• SecretSeasoning.jpg
    SecretSeasoning.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 994
Last edited:

Johnny West

MY DRY RUB
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Teaspoons Onion Powder
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon White Pepper

Basically that is the rub I use sans the pepper and brown sugar. I used smoke paprika x 6 TBS.