Crispy Skin Slow-Roasted Pork Shoulder

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This week, pork picnic roasts were on sale for $.88/lb. so I picked up a 10 pounder.

Found this recipe/technique for Crispy Skin Slow-Roasted Pork Shoulder and it was, by far, the best way I've ever cooked this cut in the oven.

https://www.ruled.me/crispy-skin-slow-roasted-pork-shoulder/

The rub I used:

1 teas. Adobo
1 teas. garlic powder
1 teas. onion powder
1 teas. Italian seasoning
1/2 teas. black pepper

Wash and dry the meat. Score the skin and pat rub all over the roast. Place meat on a rack over a foiled baking sheet and roast in a 250 oven until the meat is 190 degrees.

Note: After 9 hours, I was an hour away from dinner time and the meat temp was only in the 170's, so I kicked up the oven to 350 for the last hour - did the trick and the meat hit 189 degrees.

Take the meat out of the oven, and turn up the temp to 500. Tent the meat with foil while the oven is coming up to temp, and replace the foil in the pan with a clean sheet, so the oven doesn't smoke from the drippings.

Return meat to the oven about 5 minutes until the skin is very crispy. Remove from oven and let sit 10 minutes. Cut up the crispy skin and serve the cracklings along side of the sliced meat.

FANTASTIC!!! The meat was so tender, it was almost pullable - hardly needed a knife. And juicy!

It's really hard NOT to eat all the crackling's!

Lee
Pork 1.JPG
Pork 2.JPG
Pork 3.JPG
Pork 4.JPG

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Looks great Lee. I don't think I will find a deal like that around here. :sad: I love the look of that skin.

BUT 9 hours? That's a long time to have oven on in the summer. LOL I might try it on convection roast 350F for 2 hours and check temperature for doneness. I have done a 28 lb. turkey in 3 hours on convection roast. So it may work.

Thank you for the recipe. Mom used to do this. She used a scalpel to slice very then strips in the skin and rubbed salt and pepper into the strips. It was nice how the crisp skin separated from the fat so easily. Then she just scrapped the fat off and the meat was so nice. Thank you so much for reminding me of this.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL, Peep it was 10 hours total in the oven!

But the weather here continues to be stinkin' hot and humid, and since I was cooped up in the a.c. all day, I had the time. And 250 didn't heat up the kitchen one bit.

If it had been comfortable to be outside, I would have smoked it.

Lee

Johnny West

LOL, Peep it was 10 hours total in the oven!

But the weather here continues to be stinkin' hot and humid, and since I was cooped up in the a.c. all day, I had the time. And 250 didn't heat up the kitchen one bit.

If it had been comfortable to be outside, I would have smoked it.

Lee
I’m doing something similar since the weather is not comfortable with rain off and on.

I‘m doing a more Czech style pork roast with garlic, onions, and topping the roast with salt, pepper, and caraway seeds. I have the oven on at 250°F. The roast is from Hormel.

BF12BE02-8034-44DF-9DD3-E0985BAA3A3D.jpeg