Marco Is. Seafood Fest, 3/28 & 3/29

Calicolady

Gonna see if I can drag my niece with me. Then we'll go visit her grandpa for the first time in a couple months. Maybe bring him some fish too.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I thought Buzz would consider going too. But no word from him.
Oh well, maybe a golf day.

Just checked out your thread for the first time, Cal. All I have scheduled tomorrow is sunrise at the farmers' market for conch, clams, and veggies. If I can talk DW into it I'm game. If not, maybe I'll drive down anyway. Let's PM cell phone #'s.

Edit: WooHoo, DW says "Why not?"

Buzz

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
CL wasn't on line all day yesterday and didn't get the message so we didn't meet up. Today the weather is crappy so I'm holed up at home.

Calicolady

I didn't go Saturday as I was dog sick with stomach, and my niece had a sleep over fri/sat and wanted to sleep all day sat.
Sat/Sun. she had another sleep over, but at her house, so I picked her and her friend around noon. We got there around 12:30 under thunder, and very gray skies. They were not enthused and it began to rain about 20 minutes later.
It was beautifully set up, and lively, but a $5 entry, no food eatin, and I really wanted to try gator nuggets. And it was all local food stuff, which I like to support.
So we left and went to my dad's for alittle while for a visit.
I brought them home and my sister-inlaw said they slept the rest of the day.
I swear, it hasn't rained in what, maybe six months, and it picked this day. But they did put on a good fest, and it was their first "annual", so I'll be there next year. The money raised was for charity, and they said they did well. So all was not lost. And boy, I think a week of that rain would be welcome too.
Next year my niece will be driving (dear Lord!) so either she'll decide to go and drive (I promised her I'd teach her how to drive a stick shift), or I'll go without her.

(Buzz, I hope there's another function in town before you go back so we can meet.)

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
To bad it didn't work out.
I love that whole part of Florida. DW and I went to Marco for our 20th anniversary. Had a ball. We found out why the locals call it Mark-up Island. I would love to pull our Baja down there one year to boat around to the various bars on the water. :D Probably never happen though. That's one long tow for me.

Calicolady

"Mark-up" island it is. But great fishing in the islands off Goodland, and bars down there too.
When I used to vacation and visit the folks here, twice a year from '85-'99, everytime I came down things were different in that 6 months. So much building, traffic increased, roads were widened. I'd love to go back to that more native feel. Now it's so rat race, and commercial, even if it is "prettier".
I remember when my folks were building their house, mom wanted a 2 story and double hung windows, and a dutch door.
None of the builders would do any of it. And to order from N.C. the prices were exorbitant, so it was a no go.
Now the norm is mega-monster everything.
I think we're becoming the "new miami". But if you do have the $$$, it is a beautiful place to vacation and get waited on.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, it's been over 10 years since we were there and there was so much construction going on everywhere. We probably would not know the place today.
So many of the houses on the Island were two story and they even had the huge outdoor netting that was two stories high and humongous. Some impressive sights for sure. I would love to have one of those canals out my back door where it's a short walk to the boat. How nice that would be. :thumb:

Calicolady

They're called pool cages. Fitting, No?

07-pool_lanai.jpg

lanai3.jpg

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ahhhh, yeah, that makes sense. They all did have a pool inside them. :bonk: :D

Is that one yours in the pic Cali? Very very nice!!!!!! :thumb:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
CL - we might have missed the Marco SF but there's something going on every weekend. I'm not headed north for about six weeks so we'll get together even if we have to meet at a garage sale and do breakfast afterwards. That's a promise.

But great fishing in the islands off Goodland, and bars down there too.

Doin' it Thursday. Leaving waaaay early and launching out of either Everglades City or Chokoloskee - don't know which because a friend set it up and I just found out last night. We'll be going after linesiders in the Eastern 10,000 Islands and Western Everglades. Even though the slot size has been tightened up to 28-33" they're biting so hopes are high for keepers.

Anyone reading this who doesn't know what a Snook (linesider) is they are the best tasting fish on the planet Earth. Snook are illegal to buy or sell anywhere in the U.S. so you have to catch them yourself. They live in salt water in the summer and brackish or fresh water in the winter because of the winter drop in Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico temperatures. Snook can't survive in water less than 65 degrees F.

500_fish_snook2.jpg

Wish me luck and I'll report back on Friday. :D