A "Christmas Story" Re-visited!!!!

homecook

Ok, you all saw my meal in the process of being prepared........it started looking pretty good, didn't it? At 2:30pm, an hour before the turkey was to be done we lost power. Yes, you heard me, the electricity went out!!!! So we waited and waited thinking it would come back on shortly......and we waited some more. The turkey was registering at 158 degrees and holding.......and we waited some more. Finally at 5:30pm we decided the power wasn't going to be coming on and we would not have our turkey dinner. Shit!!

So we did what every normal American would do in this situation........we went to a Chinese restaurant. Now think Christmas Story..........DH called the restaurant to see how late they were open til, 8PM they said. He also asked if we could get Christmas Duck, the manager started laughing his head off and asked if Pressed Duck would be okay. lol He then asked if the staff would sing Deck the Halls and he again started laughing and said "No problem, if you don't mind if it's in Chinese." So DH says "Everyone get their coats on, we're going out to eat!" And we did. We did nothing but laugh the whole time we were there. We actually had the best time ever!!!!
It was so out of character, out of tradition that is was funny!! Actually we think it was my mom's doing. She was pissed that she couldn't join us so she made it that we couldn't have our normal turkey dinner.......
We arrived back home about 8:30 to still no electricity and a house that was freezing cold! We lit a fire in the fireplace and sat around just talking and laughing. My son then went to spend the night at his girlfriends and Heather and the kids left for home where they did have electricity. lol DH and I decided we weren't going to stay in the cold house all night so as I type we are staying at a local motel! hahahaha
Actually, this has been the best Christmas ever!! Here's some pix of our lovely dinner.

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 040.JPG
    040.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 046.JPG
    046.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 045.JPG
    045.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 052.JPG
    052.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 054.JPG
    054.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 117

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
ringle bells ringle bells ringle all the way ................

Merry Christmas Barb!! i am glad it was a great dinner with your family thats all that matters.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like fun - when I looked at the thread title, I wondered if Heather had had her baby yesterday??? Thought it was a bit early.

Meme4251

Gosh, Barb, so sorry to hear but after reading the post and seeing the pics, only and the first thing that popped in my head was "God's will". Your mom's def had a hold on it and look, it was GREAT! Merry Christmas, sh:thumb:

homecook

Thanks Ray and Sheri!
lol Ray, yeah, that would have been something with Heather, she's not due until May.
It all turned out well in the end and yes, being with family was the most important thing....

heb1976

it was a great time! i think it definitely happened for a reason ... instead of crying and being upset (which we were inside) ... we laughed and enjoyed ourselves. definitely a positive end to a VERY shitty 2009!

oh ... and as i post this ... to add to the lovely holiday, i got woken up by a phone call from hubby saying he was in a car accident. nothing too major. he hit a patch of ice coming home and slid into a ditch. he was just shaken up a bit and there was no damage to his truck except his muffler sticking out a little farther then normal. see ... this is what happens when you come home from work earlier then you are supposed to! LOL

Deelady

Wow what a night you guys had!! Seee I told you I would be sending you smiles!!! ;) LOL
I'm so glad everything worked out and you were able to make it the best Christmas ever! Seems like when everything that can go wrong does...thats when you usually get the biggest laugh.
Well at least you also have PLENTY of leftovers for the week!! :D :D

Glad to hear hubby is safe and ok Heather!!

homecook

Thanks Andy!

Dee......we had smiles and laughs all night long! LOL
As far as leftovers, if the power doesn't come back on soon we wont' have any food to speak of.......we're still at the motel until around 1 then may go visit my aunt and uncle and get fed. lol

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well there is still a bright side to this Barb, you will have turkey broth for a while now. Glad it worked out for every one though. :mellow:

homecook

We had alot of rain and 55 mph gusting winds all night. It goes out frequently on our block because they won't fix the problem......just band-aid it!! This time there were only 3 houses. Ours included. Down further there were more houses affected. They're also saying it won't be on until around noon or 5 tonight.....maybe!!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
We had alot of rain and 55 mph gusting winds all night. It goes out frequently on our block because they won't fix the problem......just band-aid it!! This time there were only 3 houses. Ours included. Down further there were more houses affected. They're also saying it won't be on until around noon or 5 tonight.....maybe!!
if it were their houses that band aid would be fixed pretty damn quick!! i am sorry barb. i used to live in an apartment building many years ago that even the smallest rain caused the building to loose power. just our building no one else around. it stinks!!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm sorry that it is taking so long to get your power back on Barb...but you sure did make a wonderful Christmas memory...one that you and your family will be talking about for many years to come.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I'm sorry all of your preparations were cut short, Barb, but this is a wonderful story! When I saw your pics of the table all set and the turkey ready to be roasted - my heart went out to you knowing that it would be bitter-sweet to sit down to a table without your mom. I think it was your mom that forced y'all away from that table! Moms always know when to add a little humor to lighten things up! It speaks volumes about you and your family that you just went with it! Love you, girlfriend.

homecook

Thanks Mama and Terry! Yes, it would have been bittersweet to sit down at that table. They always say "Mom knows best." LOL It will definitely be a Christmas to remember! hahaha

Now let's just get on to the next year already!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Now let's just get on to the next year already!!!!!!!!!!!!
Next year will be better, for sure. I was driving down here to the coast last night, thinking about my father, who died 5 years ago on Christmas Day. I drove past the USS Lexington, which is the ship he retired from. It was all lit up in Corpus Christi Bay and I thought of all the times I waited as a child in Pensacola for the ship to come in. This was the first year I could do that without crying, and that was so nice.

suziquzie

That is just too funny Barb!!! I always wanted to go out for Chinese on Christmas..... just cuz! :)
Heather I'm glad hubby is ok.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Bummer, Barb, but you made the most of it and had a great time with your family. Things have a way of working out. :alc:

homecook

Next year will be better, for sure. I was driving down here to the coast last night, thinking about my father, who died 5 years ago on Christmas Day. I drove past the USS Lexington, which is the ship he retired from. It was all lit up in Corpus Christi Bay and I thought of all the times I waited as a child in Pensacola for the ship to come in. This was the first year I could do that without crying, and that was so nice.

A bittersweet moment for you too Terry! Love you, girlfriend....

homecook

That is just too funny Barb!!! I always wanted to go out for Chinese on Christmas..... just cuz! :)
Heather I'm glad hubby is ok.

What's funny is the place was pretty full..........I guess alot of people like Chinese on Christmas. LOL

Bummer, Barb, but you made the most of it and had a great time with your family. Things have a way of working out. :alc:

Yep, family was the focal point, to be sure...

And we're now home and HAVE POWER!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!