1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups sliced cucumbers
1 small onion (sliced thinly)
In a bowl, combine mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar and salt. Add cucumbers and
onions; stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. Yield: 6-8
servings.
VARIATION;
Add a splash of Balsamic vinegar to the mix.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
CUKES AND RED ONIONS

INGREDIENTS
2 cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
DIRECTIONS
Combine cucumbers and red onion in a salad bowl.
In a small bowl, stir together water, rice wine vinegar, sugar, and seasoned salt. Pour over vegetables. Chill for 1 hour. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Serve as is, or spoon over grilled hamburgers or layer between two slices of cheese in a grilled cheese sandwich.

homecook

The sugar and vinegar are a must try. I've always just made mine like my grandmother and mother. Never outside the box. Why fix it if it ain't broke?

cukes
onions
sour cream
salt and pepper

I do use sugar and vinegar in another recipe but then I don't add the sour cream. You learn something new every day. Thanks LT for opening my eyes to something new!!!

I tried to give you karma but I have to spread it around first...IOU! lol

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
The sugar and vinegar are a must try. I've always just made mine like my grandmother and mother. Never outside the box. Why fix it if it ain't broke?

cukes
onions
sour cream
salt and pepper

I do use sugar and vinegar in another recipe but then I don't add the sour cream. You learn something new every day. Thanks LT for opening my eyes to something new!!!

I tried to give you karma but I have to spread it around first...IOU! lol
:wave: you can spread some karma on me!! LOL :biggrin: i'm always willing to help out!! :tiphat:

chowhound

I do half mayo and half sour cream, plus the s&p.
Hmmm, sugar.... why not? We put it in creamy cole slaw :^D

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
The second recipe brought back memories, Lucky. I grew up in a small town on a quiet street. Everyone knew everyone. My next door neighbour, a nice older lady named Mrs. Jones, (it's the truth!) made the most wonderful cucumber salad every summer. I believe the recipe is very similar to yours.
Thanks for the memory.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I do use sugar and vinegar in another recipe but then I don't add the sour cream.

Does that other recipe have the cukes marinating in sugar-vinegar water with dill, Barb? Then, when you serve the cukes in individual bowls, you pour a little browned butter over them.

That was my Polish aunts' alternate cuke salad to the sour cream version, and it's my favorite!

Lee

homecook

Does that other recipe have the cukes marinating in sugar-vinegar water with dill, Barb? Then, when you serve the cukes in individual bowls, you pour a little browned butter over them.

That was my Polish aunts' alternate cuke salad to the sour cream version, and it's my favorite!

Lee

Yep, that's the one!!! I love it too.........I've got to make both these recipes soon now that the cukes are taking over. LOL

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I grew cucumbers about 10 years ago. My husband and kids loved them. And boy oh boy did they overtake the entire garden. I was making cucumber salad all the time. Even made pickles out of some of them. Lou, on the other hand, does not care for cucumbers and that part of the garden has since been planted with pear trees and a mannequin...

They always tasted better than anything I got at the store.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I also use red onion and cucumbers but my sauce is half mayo and sour cream with a small shot of balsamic vinegar. I also use a bit of salt and pepper of course. Balsamic having a sweet taste I've never thought about adding sugar though.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Lucky! I'm being overrun with cukes right now!

I am too SK have about 6 we are going to do up tonight. I also have about a dozen nice tomatoes ( I didn't grow them a friend did) so I will probably cut some of that on top of the cumcumber salad as well. That and a pot of Navy bean soup with smoke ham hocks for dinner tonight should be a great meal with some left overs for the next couple of days lunches.

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Where is the GARLIC!?!?!?

I boil garlic till soft, smash the heck out of them and then add em.

In addition to the mayo S&P and sugar I add a little fresh chopped taragon and squeeze in some fresh orange :bounce: