Holiday weekend menus??? Plans???

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Still alone in the Big Easy..till Sunday. Coco is coming with three of her friends.

I've been baking all day, cookies, pound cake, cupcakes. I'm going to grill some turkey wings tomorrow.

Sunday, though, Sunday, I get to really cook again. I rubbed a 10# pork shoulder on Wednesday. I'll slow smoke that on Sunday for pulled pork sandwiches. I have a great barbecue sauce recipe.

I'm also making cole slaw and macaroni salad; pork and beans as well.If I go to the farmer's market down on Magazine Street I'll pick up corn on the cob, too. I like the idea of watermelon mojitos, too. Then, it's down to the French Quarter to see the fireworks.

Anyone else have any plans for the holiday weekend??

buckytom

Grill Master
the annual family summer get together and celebrtation of my parents' birthdays (dad is 87 on the 4th, mom is 83 on the 9th) is at my sister's house this weekend.

i finished cooking for it at 4am this morning since i'm working from 8am today till noon tomorrow.

my eldest sis asked me to make meataballs and sauce, of which i cranked out 35 last night, and i also made a spicy carolina style pork shoulder in the crock pot, which i will pull and re-vinegar in the morning before we leave.

dw picked up a triple chocolate cookie cake and a coupla pounds of italian cookies from maria's in saddle brook.

sunday i'm weeding the garden, pulling out an old fence and building a raised herb bed. then it's off to see the fireworks. i may try to convince dw to come into the city to see them over the hudson from the roof of my building.

GotGarlic

I'm going shopping today for a dress for my sister's wedding in two weeks and I may do some preserving today - I have lots of basil and just stocked up on parmesan cheese to make pesto and freeze. I also have lots of Anaheim peppers that need to be roasted, peeled, chopped and frozen for winter soups.

Not much planned for tomorrow but gardening. Monday, we're getting together with my mom and her husband and my aunt and her family (kids, grandkids, husband's family) for a cookout.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm heading down to friends's house on a lake tomorrow.

I'm supposed to be teaching Jan how to smoke ribs and ABT's on her Weber Smoky Mountain again, but every time I try to teach her, she wanders off and cooks something else.

In addition to the ABT's and ribs, I'll make a clam dip and a fresh herb dip, to have with Fritos Scoops and Cape Cod chips, respectively. Jan's planning baba ganoush, a layered Mexican dip, potato salad, quinoa salad, homemade ice cream, and I forget what else.

And there will only be THREE of us! LOL!

The people across the lake from Jan and Ann's back porch put on a fabulous fireworks display, so we'll have nightcaps out there while we watch, with the Boston Pops music in the background.

Oh, and strawberry shortcake for breakfast Monday morning! LOL!

Looking forward to a little R and R after a very tough week at the store! I am drained!

Lee

Saturday, Sunday, & Monday (in no particular order, & nothing is set in stone around here):

Frogmore Stew

Steak & grilled potato salad. The latter recipe, I posted for GotGarlic here:
http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14522&highlight=Grilled+Potato+Salad

Want to try Michel Richard's Restaurant & Bakery, Maison Richard (that supposedly reopened near Melrose Avenue), & taste the Opera Cake:
http://www.maisonrichard.com/

Hoping I can see the fireworks shows from CBS & Hollywood Bowl from my sundeck.

Have a safe Holiday.

Last edited:

Phiddlechik

Just my husband and I here... will do some ribs on the Weber, made potato salad last night, will do some baked beans. Also gonna crank out some icecream, vanilla with a tiny bit of nutmeg and cinnamon. To go with apple pie eggrolls... gonna make apple pie filling, then roll them up and fry.
We'll do most of it today, as we have church from 5-7 tomorrow. Supposed to be kind of stormy on the 4th as well. We'll do leftovers from today.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Depends on the weather, but I'm thinking we're going to have steaks on the grill. I want to carve a watermelon, but I'm not sure if that's going to happen. And there's always lots of fireworks out here, so we just sit out on the front porch and watch while the cat hides out under the bed.

smoke king

Banned
Our annual fourth of July blowout is today-fireworks are purchased, Jagermeister machine is filled and running. Got 40# of pulled pork and a roaster filled with ribs. We are also fortunate enough to have a "front row" seat for the cities annual "fireworks by Grucci" extravaganza, and folks are coming from all over for it. My niece has just landed from Florida just for the occasion.

Tomorrow at this time, Sammy and I will be at 35000 feet flying into Nashville for the week. I am very excited-can't wait to get down to music row to see if any of the magic will rub off on me! At the very least, I will get to walk in the footsteps of the legends (Luckytrim knows what I'm talking about!)

I know its short notice, but is anybody on the forum close to Nashville?

And before I forget, everyone have a safe and happy fourth of July! :)

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Feeding about 200 at my husband's RV park today. Got a bounce house for the kids and fishing from the banks all around it. Everyone is bringing sides to go with brisket, smoked sausage and hot dogs. Neighboring park spends a few thousand on fireworks and sets them off over the water,so, we're set there too and don't even have to do anything but sit and watch, lol

lilylove

Not sure... Paul was supposed to go back packing but the weather turn rainy (what a surprise) He did go out to the woods with a friend today but will be home anytime. Split pea soup for dinner tonight. We'll prbly run some errands tomorrow ... shrimp for dinner and lunch out somewhere. Monday I'm staying home with the cats. It's their first 4th with us and while I'm sure Jellybelly won't be bothered at all by the bangs I'm just as positive that Desmond will go bonkers. He is the biggest chicken in the world!

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Just put a brisket on the BGE for tomorrow and have some Jewish Rye retarding in the fridge to go with it.

Mr. Green Jeans

We're being low key as a call to show the house can happen at any time. I just love the 1 hour's notice deals but hey, in this market you do what you gotta. I smoked a pork shoulder Thursday when I was down in Oregon it is now pulled (the perfect manicure) and in the slow cooker. Next potato salad and probably some berries from the freezer to make into a crisp.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I got to eat some great ribs and chicken, even got to swim a little, but left the party I was invited to because of a jerk/drunk who wasn't invited.
That party went to hell quickly because of him. A few left in fact.
Fireworks later this evening.
What a nice 4th this has turned out to be. grrrrrr

mhend

We are doing the annual family BBQ out in the country at my parents place. Lots of food and LOTS of fireworks. :) I made Keltin's smoked meatloaf again, and it was a HUGE hit!

Phiddlechik

Apple pie filling (home made), egg roll wrappers; with home made vanilla/nutmeg/cinnamon ice cream

Attachments

• IMG_1729.jpg
    IMG_1729.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 89

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
My first 4th off since moving here. The past 2 years I have fed 2K+ People at the job. Always a great time, 3 blocks off the national mall, roof top event, but GOOD LORD, TOO MANY PEOPLE!!!

I sis a simple meal for me, and my lady friend. Teriyaki Grilled ribeyes with roasted garlic mashed potatoes, and steamed broccoli with sea salt and pink pepper. Dessert was homemade ice cream sammiches: home made oatmeal raisin cookies with dulce de leche ice cream for the filling, and dunked half in ganache and wheeled through candied pecans.