Creamy Chicken & Bacon with Mushrooms

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I hope this attachment posts large enough to read.

20181217_153723.jpg

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I suspect most cooks could figure out the general recipe. I'd probably use egg noodles as well since Craig likes them more than rice.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Glad you posted that link, Sass - the first article left out the sour cream and I wondered where the "creamy" was.

Printed out and saved to make. Looks wonderful!

I wonder if the skin stays crispy.

Lee
Ingredients

• 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2.5 pounds chicken pieces bone in with skin
  • 6 ounces bacon thick cut, chopped
  • 1 large onion chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 3 garlic cloves thin sliced or chopped
  • 8 ounces cremini mushrooms or baby bella mushrooms
  • 2 cups dry white wine or vermouth
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • A good handful fresh parsley chopped
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Cups - Metric
Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 400F.
  2. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in an ovenproof, deep skillet over high heat. Add chicken skin side down and cook until golden brown. Turn and cook the other side for 1-2 minute. Remove chicken from pan & drain the excess fat.
  3. Add the chopped bacon to the same pan and cook until crispy. Remove from the pan, set aside and drain the excess fat (without wiping the pan). Reduce heat to medium high. Add the bacon back to the pan along with a chopped onion and cook until soft, but not brown.
  4. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
  5. Add the mushrooms and saute until soft.
  6. Add the white wine or vermouth. Raise the heat to high, bring to boil, scraping the bottom of the skillet to mix the brown bits into the liquid. Cook another 2 minutes to cook down the alcohol.
  7. Add chicken stock and parsley. Return chicken to the skillet, skin side up. Bake for 45 minutes, the chicken should be very tender.
  8. Remove chicken and set aside. Stir the sour cream into sauce, taste and season with salt and pepper.

Recipe Notes

• Thickening the sauce: This recipe males a thin sauce. If you would rather a thicker sauce, my recommendation is to thicken after it comes out of the oven so you don't have to worry about it sticking or burning on the bottom of the pan while in the oven.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
We're making this tonight. Craig didn't realize it was a skin on prep, so he took it off. So, I rendered the skin until nice and crispy and it's waiting on the dish to come out of the oven. We're having garlic madhies to go with.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Well, it will have some changes if we make again. First, cooking time. I checked it at 30 minutes and probably should have pulled at either 25 or even 20 minutes. The chicken would have been tough little lumps at 45 minutes. I cut the stock down to 1/2 cup because of the review. And, I'll either cut the sour cream WAY down or not even use it because it just took over, that's all you could taste after it went into the sauce and, frankly, it wasn't pleasant. I'm wandering if there is a typo in the recipe for the sour cream amount looking at their pictures.

Attachments

• 2018-12-18 18.51.46.jpg
    2018-12-18 18.51.46.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 248

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Hmm, ordinarily there are several places that have the same recipe.
I'll make it with some changes per what you said and see how it goes.

Thanks med.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
That does seem like a heck of a lot of sour cream and liquids to me.
3 cups total.
I'll try cutting the sour cream in half, and using less wine and more stock since that's deglazing the pan.
For some reason I'm getting deja vu with this, like I've done it before.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Okie dokie.
I'm going to make this for tonight's dinner.
I'll be using ingredients that are mentioned.
Different measurements, of course.
Something just isn't quite right.
So, I'll do it my way.
Hopefully it works.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
For 6 chicken thighs:

I used 1- 1/4 c chicken stock to deglaze the very hot pan after sauteeing what little bacon we had, then added the mushrooms then 1/2 c full fat sour cream.
It didn't get as thin as I thought it would.
I think it makes for a very nice colour.
Delicious!

Note: I kept the crispy pan bits in the pan from the chicken as well.
I feel this helped greatly with the colour and flavour.

Loved it.

Nct 1 20181219_153230-768x768.jpg

Nct 2 20181219_155842-768x768.jpg

Nct 3 20181219_155906-768x768.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sass, did you put yours in a 400 oven? For how long?

Lee