Grilled Fish Taco

phreak

1lb Mahi or other white flaky fish, skin and cut all of the bloodline out completely.
Marinate for about 30 minutes in:
enough sour orange juice to cover fish
4-6 clove of garlic pressed
1-2 tsp of oregano
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp ancho chili powder

White sauce:
1/4-1/2 cup mayo
1/4-1/2 cup sour cream
Juice from 2-3 limes
optional: grate 1 small cucumber
Mix it all together and let sit in fridge for flavors to mingle

Mango salsa:
Dice 1 mango.
Dice about 1/4 cup red onion
chop about 1/4 cup cilantro
ad juice from 1 lime

Pull dripping wet fillets out of marinade and DO NOT dry, toss on medium to medium high grill(preferably lump charcoal with some wood chunks for smokey flavor. Grill 3-4 minutes per side or until center of fillets are opaque.

Serve on warm tortillas with slivered cabbage...I just made this Saturday night. I also made a traditional tomato salsa, but the mango salsa won over in the side by side comparison.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Phreak, I've been dying to try my hand at fish tacos, since my friends in AZ say they are to die for.

Do you pick them up in your hands to eat them? Does the tortilla fall apart?

Lee

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Yep, I'm making these when I get back to FL in November. I think I'll use red snapper. Boy they sound good. Thanks for the recipe.

phreak

Phreak, I've been dying to try my hand at fish tacos, since my friends in AZ say they are to die for.

Do you pick them up in your hands to eat them? Does the tortilla fall apart?

Lee

I guess if you can pick them up with another appendage it wouldn't be a problem.;)

I forgot to mention to flake the fish up into small pieces...You might want to break them up into a strainer or something so the fish isn't too watery(which will make the tortilla fall apart if it lasts that long.)

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made my first Fish Tacos last night - LOVED 'em!

It was a recipe from Taste of Home magazine, which is only available to online subscribers (which I am not), so I'll just describe it.

The marinade for 1/2 pound of fish (I used two tilapia filets):
1/2 lemon, squeezed, a large clove of garlic, minced, and 1 T. olive oil. Marinate the fish in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour.

The avocado sauce is like phreak's white sauce above, only with 1/4 cup of mashed avocado instead of the cucumber, and some chopped dill. I added a couple of splashes of hot sauce.

Instead of phreak's mango salsa, I used homemade pico de gaillo.

Broil fish about 4 minutes, till done and flaky.
Lay fish down on a large flour tortilla.
Pour some avocado sauce on top of it.
Top that with pico de gaillo
Top THAT with shredded cabbage (I bought a bag of cole slaw).
Roll up and enjoy!

I will make these again!

Lee

Attachments

• Fish tacos.JPG
    Fish tacos.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 171

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made these again last night. So delicious and refreshing, on hot nights!

Took a few more pictures, too, LOL! I folded my large tortilla like a burrito (I think. Enchilada?)

Lee

Attachments

• IMG_0825.JPG
    IMG_0825.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0826.JPG
    IMG_0826.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0827.JPG
    IMG_0827.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 161
1lb Mahi or other white flaky fish, skin and cut all of the bloodline out completely.
Marinate for about 30 minutes in:
enough sour orange juice to cover fish
4-6 clove of garlic pressed
1-2 tsp of oregano
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp ancho chili powder

White sauce:
1/4-1/2 cup mayo
1/4-1/2 cup sour cream
Juice from 2-3 limes
optional: grate 1 small cucumber
Mix it all together and let sit in fridge for flavors to mingle

Mango salsa:
Dice 1 mango.
Dice about 1/4 cup red onion
chop about 1/4 cup cilantro
ad juice from 1 lime

Pull dripping wet fillets out of marinade and DO NOT dry, toss on medium to medium high grill(preferably lump charcoal with some wood chunks for smokey flavor. Grill 3-4 minutes per side or until center of fillets are opaque.

Serve on warm tortillas with slivered cabbage...I just made this Saturday night. I also made a traditional tomato salsa, but the mango salsa won over in the side by side comparison.

I may have to "borrow" your mango salsa recipe for these grilled Mojito shrimp tacos:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1634815

A little Mexican take-out stand & restaurant serves shrimp tacos in little itty bitty flour tortillas (wish I could find them) for 99 cents. They are soooo good, I could eat a bunch.

Phreak, I've been thinking about (grilled) fish tacos all day. A little story about my first fish taco... We spent the day at the beach around or above Malibu (perhaps it was Paradise Cove), somewhere on or around Pacific Coast Highway, we stopped at an outdoor food stand. You walk up to the window, order your food, & eat outdoors at a round table with an umbrella and cement stools. I ordered my first fish taco. It came with fries, and was very simple - fish, shredded lettuce or cabbage, tomatoes & tarter sauce. :huh: Maybe it was the cool salty ocean breeze, the sun kissing my shoulders, or the warm sand between my toes; but it was LOVE :heart: at first bite! A nice cold lemonade on the side, and dipping my fries in tarter sauce (& some in ketchup)... & I was in fish taco Heaven. LOL. If you've never tried it, you'll be glad you did. Salmon, shrimp, snapper -- whatever swims in your area, will work. Someday, I hope to find the place again.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That sounds good, HC - I will do that next time, thanks!

Also, I was looking for a simple tempura recipe for my next experiment with fried squash blossoms!

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I have a great tempura batter recipe. It's a mixture of flour & cornstarch, with seltzer water. CRISP!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll get it for you when I get home this evening. (Yeah, I at work - supposed to be working).

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
While Baja is better known for its fish tacos, we do have a great place here in Bucerias that makes them. They look pretty much like the ones QSis made, but the fish is prepared in a light batter. The accompanying sauce tastes like a combo of mayo, crema, cilantro and a tiny bit of chiles - probably serrano. They are yummy, and are always served on a corn tortilla. Three for 40 pesos - about $3.00USD.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
QSis,

Here's the tempura batter I use. If memory serves me (and it doesn't always), I got it from America's Test Kitchen on PBS. It's the best I've ever had.

Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl, and all the wet in another. Don't combine them until right before you're ready to dip your food.

Dry:
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cornstarch

Wet:
1 cup vodka
1 egg
1 cup seltzer

Fry very hot 385-400F.

Guts

QSis,

Here's the tempura batter I use. If memory serves me (and it doesn't always), I got it from America's Test Kitchen on PBS. It's the best I've ever had.

Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl, and all the wet in another. Don't combine them until right before you're ready to dip your food.

Dry:
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cornstarch

Wet:
1 cup vodka
1 egg
1 cup seltzer

Fry very hot 385-400F.

Vodka? Wow! :gulp:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Yes, vodka. It's great for making pie crust, too.

As ATK is wont to do, they gave a detailed explanation of the alcohol evaporating and the seltzer making bubbles, or something along those lines. Together they make a very light, very crips batter.

Maybe someone else saw it and remembers the details - all I know is that it really does work.

Guts

I use a beer batter that gives the bubbles and makes it light, and soda water in biscuits. But never heard of using Vodka in a batter like this. Have to try this on the next time I fry fish. Got it copied the my recipes and will post after I try it, thanks for the recipe.
BTW is the Vodka flavored or just regular Vodka.

Kim

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Have to try this on the next time I fry fish. Got it copied the my recipes and will post after I try it, thanks for the recipe.

Kim

Me too, me too! Thanks, SS!

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Beer adds a flavor of its own - vodka doesn't. This is a very light tempura batter, not as heavy or thick as beer batter.

It's excellent on shrimp. I now wnat some! I think I'm going to make some tonight or tomorrow & post pics.

Guts

Beer adds a flavor of its own - vodka doesn't. This is a very light tempura batter, not as heavy or thick as beer batter

I figured it would thin with about a 50/50 2 C dry 2 C wet plus egg. I would like to see some pis too.
Kim

Guts

Beer adds a flavor of its own - vodka doesn't. This is a very light tempura batter, not as heavy or thick as beer batter

I figured it would thin with about a 50/50 2 C dry 2 C wet plus egg. I would like to see some pis too. maybe one of the batter if you make it if you would thanks
Kim