How to grill baby eggplants

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
They've very small. Do I fork them & puncture them, or slice them first and then skewer them ?

Thank you !!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I have small, but not tiny, eggplants (Ichiban variety).

I slice them in half lengthwise, brush them with oil on both sides, then put them on a grill topper to grill.

If yours are REALLY small, you can probably just put two bamboo skewers through them, and poke them again with a fork. Olive oil, salt and pepper.

Would you post a picture of yours, chocolate?

Lee

ichibaneggplantsreadyfowp3.jpg

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
If we indeed bbq on Sunday and DD comes (she's the only one who knows how to do pictures) I will.

The eggplants are very small, like a large thumb...I was thinking to skewer them as I do all our veggies but maybe it's not necessary. I guess I hae to think out of the box here.

High Cheese

Saucier
Skewering makes it easier to cook since you only have to trn one skewer containing say 8 eggplants, rather than turning each one seperatly. Use two skewers each, only a couple minutes per side.

I do the same exact thing Lee does with Ichibans.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Fan them....hold by the stem ; with a pairing knife, make slits from 1/4 inch below the stem through the end. Generally, you'll get three slits per eggplant.

Gently spread the fan (don't worry if it doesn't open all the way), season with olive oil, balsamic, a bit of sugar and S&P. Grill about a minute each side.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
MMmm!! Great idea, Vera! I'll try that with mine this summer!

Bet it makes a nice presentation.

Lee

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
It really does....the heat helps them open a bit more, revealing the inside flesh and it's contrast to the dark purple skin. Looks especially nice with patty pan squash.