Chicken Kiev

Ian M.

A friend and I catered a sit-down wedding luncheon over the weekend and this is the menu we did: Chicken Kiev, served with white rice with white raisins and almonds, steamed fresh asperagus with butter sauce and a salad of fresh baby spinach with slivered carrot for color. As well, we had the wedding cake (we didn't make that - the bride was smart enough to realize that that would have been way over our heads!) and we made a number of pastries to serve in addition. The recipes for those will be found in the pastry forum. They include Cassata Alla Siciliana and an Apricot-Apple Tart.

Chicken Kiev

1 cup butter
2 tbls. chopped parsley
1 1/2 tsp. dried tarragon leaves
1 clove garlic, crushed
3/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

6 boned whole chicken breasts (each approx. 3/4 lb.)
3/4 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
3 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 cup packaged dry bread crumbs
Salad oil or shortening for deep-frying

In a small bowl with rubber spatula, thoroughly mix butter, parsley, tarragon, garlic, salt and pepper. On foil, shape into 6-inch square.
Freeze until firm, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, wash chicken and dry well with paper towel. Using a small sharp knife, carefully remove skin from chicken. Cut each breast in half. To flatten chicken, place each half, smooth side down, on a sheet of waxed paper, cover with a second sheet. Using a mallet, pound chicken to about 1/4 inch thickness, being careful not to break the meat. Cut frozen butter into 12 pats and place one pat of herb butter in center of each piece of chicken. Bring long sides of chicken over butter, folding ends over to make sure that no butter is showing, fasten with toothpicks. This is important to keep the herb butter inside during frying. Roll each chicken piece in the flour on a sheet of waxed paper. Dip each piece in beaten egg and roll in bread crumbs, coating evenly. Then shape each piece with your hands into a triangle shape. Refrigerate, covered, until chilled - about 1 hour. In a Dutch oven or large, heavy saucepan, slowly heat salad oil (3 inches deep) to 360 degrees F. Add chicken pieces 3 at a time so as not to crowd them. Fry, turning with tongs, till browned - five minutes. Drain, being careful not to pierce coating. Keep warm in 200 degrees F. oven for up to fifteen minutes (no more) in a large pan lined with paper towels. Serves approx. 8. For a larger amount, simply increase all ingredients accordingly. This is just delicious! :cooking:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Copied and saved!

My roommate keeps bringing home chicken breasts, which is my least favorite part of the chicken.

It's a versatile cut, we're starting to repeat our repertoire. This would be a good change!

Thanks, Ian!

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mmmmmm, like Lee said, another keeper. Thanks Ian. :tiphat: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Copied and saved!

My roommate keeps bringing home chicken breasts, which is my least favorite part of the chicken.

It's a versatile cut, we're starting to repeat our repertoire. This would be a good change!

Thanks, Ian!

Lee

Good morning, Lee...we're with you about chicken breast meat - neither one of us has ever especially been a fan of white meat chicken. It's kind of dry, usually. Ian plans to develop a four-footed chicken if he can so that he'll always have a drumstick to chew on. But he'll have to fight me for it. The Kiev is awfully good, though. For the time being, my cat gets the white meat. :heart:

alexandradarex

A friend and I catered a sit-down wedding luncheon over the weekend and this is the menu we did: Chicken Kiev, served with white rice with white raisins and almonds, steamed fresh asperagus with butter sauce and a salad of fresh baby spinach with slivered carrot for color. As well, we had the wedding cake (we didn't make that - the bride was smart enough to realize that that would have been way over our heads!) and we made a number of pastries to serve in addition. The recipes for those will be found in the pastry forum. They include Cassata Alla Siciliana and an Apricot-Apple Tart.

Chicken Kiev

1 cup butter
2 tbls. chopped parsley
1 1/2 tsp. dried tarragon leaves
1 clove garlic, crushed
3/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

6 boned whole chicken breasts (each approx. 3/4 lb.)
3/4 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
3 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 cup packaged dry bread crumbs
Salad oil or shortening for deep-frying

In a small bowl with rubber spatula, thoroughly mix butter, parsley, tarragon, garlic, salt and pepper. On foil, shape into 6-inch square.
Freeze until firm, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, wash chicken and dry well with paper towel. Using a small sharp knife, carefully remove skin from chicken. Cut each breast in half. To flatten chicken, place each half, smooth side down, on a sheet of waxed paper, cover with a second sheet. Using a mallet, pound chicken to about 1/4 inch thickness, being careful not to break the meat. Cut frozen butter into 12 pats and place one pat of herb butter in center of each piece of chicken. Bring long sides of chicken over butter, folding ends over to make sure that no butter is showing, fasten with toothpicks. This is important to keep the herb butter inside during frying. Roll each chicken piece in the flour on a sheet of waxed paper. Dip each piece in beaten egg and roll in bread crumbs, coating evenly. Then shape each piece with your hands into a triangle shape. Refrigerate, covered, until chilled - about 1 hour. In a Dutch oven or large, heavy saucepan, slowly heat salad oil (3 inches deep) to 360 degrees F. Add chicken pieces 3 at a time so as not to crowd them. Fry, turning with tongs, till browned - five minutes. Drain, being careful not to pierce coating. Keep warm in 200 degrees F. oven for up to fifteen minutes (no more) in a large pan lined with paper towels. Serves approx. 8. For a larger amount, simply increase all ingredients accordingly. This is just delicious! :cooking:

This was virtuous but the butter oozed out so I didn't get the spicy sauce from the butter filling that I estimated. Time exhaustive but not difficult, I started with thin carved chicken and some quantities fell separately when I powdered it to 1/4 inch. I may have cooked it too long, too.