COVID-19

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I dread the thought of going out but heading out in a few to pick up a click it order I did at walmart. First time ever doing one of these but I prefer not going in the store if possible. We'll see if this works.

The stores click it pick up times are full up. You have to get on first thing in the morning and pick a time which is always for the next day. They only schedule one day out so you have to wait until the morning and hope you can get an opening the next day. Times they are a changing. Be safe out there.

I hope you had a good experience with click and pick. My Walmart does a fabulous job, and I've used it regularly way before all this virus stuff happened. My Walmart doesn't make you sign the electronic pad now. They know me, so I don't even have to show my drivers license.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I hope you had a good experience with click and pick. My Walmart does a fabulous job, and I've used it regularly way before all this virus stuff happened. My Walmart doesn't make you sign the electronic pad now. They know me, so I don't even have to show my drivers license.

Thanks Cooksie ....My experience was very very positive. All went perfect. Got there called, they came out as they could not find my name. I gave them my order number. The name is not even close to mine but we got it figured out. It's like a handle on here ..they know me by that name so next time I just give that name. LOL I didn't have to sign or show drivers license. I will use this service again. The money I save by not buying impulse items is considerable I'd guess. LOL

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Just a question on the curbside pickup / home delivery. Lots of things this would be great for. I'm kind of fussy about produce, meats and fish. Do you let someone pick these for you? If so, how is it working?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I shopped at Walmart last evening.
The grocery entrance was open.
The other side was blocked off with carts and yellow tape.
Their Facebook page announced that young children and babies are now discouraged from coming to the store.
One shopper, one cart only.
The blue stickers were on the floors reminding to keep 6 ft apart.
The store was well stocked too.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I might add that thus far, there are no cases in the county I live in, as well as some of the surrounding counties.
That said, where I work, we've always been very careful when the flu season is active.
Our back ward was on quarantine back in early February because of a flu.
9 residents were ill.
Some were tested for a or b.
Some of us think this was already in the area.
I was sick for 3 days back then, like really sick with something I'd never had before.
My coworkers who had it said the same thing.
As of today, we have to wear masks during the entire shift. On the face, all day.
We're already signing in upon entry, taking our temps, then recording it.
I'm checking the temps of my residents 4 times during the shift and keeping an extra eye on them.
So far, we're all good.
The facility is on lockdown with only delivery people allowed between the double front doors and the back entrance to the kitchen.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Just a question on the curbside pickup / home delivery. Lots of things this would be great for. I'm kind of fussy about produce, meats and fish. Do you let someone pick these for you? If so, how is it working?

I'm not sure Andy. I've curbside picked up once. In that order I searched for boneless chicken breasts and canned meat and frozen meat showed up from my search. No fresh. Not sure if this is the norm but I agree, I would prefer to pick out our own meats in normal times.

Thankfully I bought 1/2 side of beef a few months ago so our freezer is fairly full of beef.

The only produce I ordered was celery and I was able to get that with no issue. It is obvious all the items in the store are not available via curbside pickup but enough were available to allow me to avoid going in the store while the corona virus is still going strong.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Hi Doc - So far, I am taking advantage of "Old Geezer" shopping hours. I don't have a Walmart near me and I avoid really big stores. My local Stop and Shop opens 6 - 7:30 seniors only. Hence, we get first pick of the overnight stocking. I have been able to get enough TP, albeit single ply, off brand. It does do the job. The store was kind enough the other day to put a cart of Lysol wipes (Controlled quantity) right by the door. The people are pleasant. When I first went, the only meat was chicken, with controlled quantities. Now the meat case is pretty well stocked. Produce is again filling up. Fresh fish is not open at that hour. People keep their distance.

DW is very susceptible to respiratory stuff, so, I'm the designated shopper. Fortunately she is a soaper and makes hand sanitizer, even though the FDA only allows it to be called hand cleaner. Sanitizer is a medical claim that even Purel isn't supposed to make. I am doing PC support from home, but, many of my customers are working from home. Should a server hang, I might have to go reset it. Since you are a techie, all my new servers are HP and have an ilo. That helps a lot.

I'm getting off topic, sorry. Bag veggies, celery, radishes, mushrooms, etc, I would be OK with. Meats, fruits, berries and much other produce, I want to see. Possibly I'm all wet.

While I am rambling, I see that masks are now coming into play more. With supplies so short, I am wondering what folks are doing to disinfect them between uses. I read UV light is the easiest, then, who has one at home. I saw a woman in a Pizza parlor pull used nitrile gloves out of her purse, put them on pick up a bag off th counter with her food in it and walk out. I'm not thinking there was a benefit there.

Best
Andy

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
The supermarkets my dd's and hub work at have now closed off the olive bar/salad bar/hot food/Sushi bar's. The deli cold cuts are cut at night and placed in the Grab-N-Go section.

They have installed plastic shields to protect the cashiers and are also closing stores at 8pm.

Cooksie

Site Supporter

I do and have never really had a problem. I was buying most of my meat from Sam's before all this, but I'm no longer willing to go in there, so meat gets picked by the picker too.

Good for your daughter, Peeps. Plastic shields are better than nothing

You made me laugh, Q-Sis. We all need a good laugh about now :).

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I do and have never really had a problem. I was buying most of my meat from Sam's before all this, but I'm no longer willing to go in there, so meat gets picked by the picker too.

Good for your daughter, Peeps. Plastic shields are better than nothing

You made me laugh, Q-Sis. We all need a good laugh about now :).

None of my family are cashiers. But protecting the cashiers will also protect everyone they work with. Hub is in produce dept. and DD's are in online shopping. They don't get any protection.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Posted on FF by Butch:

Click on the link then click watch this video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxOJ7hh3H-I[/ame]

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
We use the 3 ply disposable masks.
While we are not in short supply as yet, they used to be throughout our facility in the wall mounts found in several locations.
Those boxes have been pulled and placed in the staff breakroom or in a specific area in central supply.

One of the older nurses fashioned cloth masks, which is all the rage now. More a fad than anything at the moment.
She made a ton of them using cloth scraps and ponytail holders.
The consensus is, "better than nothing".

20200404_053933-768x768.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I'm friends with a nurse practitioner.
She sent me a link from a doctor which is like 5 pages long.
Here is a bit of what this doctor had to say about covid -19.

Just some food for thought amid the panic.

Most people don’t get COVID-19. Why?

Testing of high risk people (those who most likely would get COVID-19 due to exposure to confirmed COVID-19 patients or travel from high risk areas) reveal that 90% of patients are testing negative, i.e., they have not evidence of disease. Why is that?

Most likely, these patients have pre-existing immunity to the virus from previous exposure to COVID-19 or due to cross-reactive immunity from being infected by related Coronaviruses.

Many people have stated that they suffered symptoms of Coronavirus earlier this year. Due to a lack of testing, many people most likely have had exposure to the virus; they have developed immunity to it.

This from the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons/AAPS

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I got the stuff to make masks with cotton fabric, hair elastics and the "blue shop towels" yesterday, and got the joys of waiting in line for about 20 minutes to get into Walmart to pick up my online order. I don't know why they aren't offering curbside delivery for online orders as it would have cut down on the line by at least 2 people and reduced exposure. While I was there, I picked up a few grocery items we were either out of (like sliced sammie bread) or getting low on. Guess I'll be doing some sewing later. Will have to do it by hand as I got rid of the machine years ago since I hardly ever sewed anymore.

Now if I could just get my order of 99% isopropyl alcohol. Ordered it on 3/20 and I'm still waiting. They said 7-10 days for shipping so I called last week, looks like it won't get shipped for at least 2 more weeks. Would have been nice had they notified me wouldn't it? Already have the pure aloe and bottles, now it would be nice to get the alcohol.

There's no hand sanitizer to be had, though I did manage to get antibacterial wipes a couple of weeks ago.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I got the stuff to make masks with cotton fabric, hair elastics and the "blue shop towels" yesterday, and got the joys of waiting in line for about 20 minutes to get into Walmart to pick up my online order. I don't know why they aren't offering curbside delivery for online orders as it would have cut down on the line by at least 2 people and reduced exposure. While I was there, I picked up a few grocery items we were either out of (like sliced sammie bread) or getting low on. Guess I'll be doing some sewing later. Will have to do it by hand as I got rid of the machine years ago since I hardly ever sewed anymore.

Now if I could just get my order of 99% isopropyl alcohol. Ordered it on 3/20 and I'm still waiting. They said 7-10 days for shipping so I called last week, looks like it won't get shipped for at least 2 more weeks. Would have been nice had they notified me wouldn't it? Already have the pure aloe and bottles, now it would be nice to get the alcohol.

There's no hand sanitizer to be had, though I did manage to get antibacterial wipes a couple of weeks ago.

I can just imagine how fast the blue shop towels are flying off the shelves. I looked for them earlier but couldn't find them around here.

Shipping is all clogged around here too. I'm still supposed to get some tp tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed. I did get some bleach and some facial tissues.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
We use the 3 ply disposable masks.
While we are not in short supply as yet, they used to be throughout our facility in the wall mounts found in several locations.
Those boxes have been pulled and placed in the staff breakroom or in a specific area in central supply.

One of the older nurses fashioned cloth masks, which is all the rage now. More a fad than anything at the moment.
She made a ton of them using cloth scraps and ponytail holders.
The consensus is, "better than nothing".

View attachment 36074

Highlighted stuff: Maybe they help your patients feel more comfortable too. The regular masks might scare them a little more than the cloth mask covers.

Re: 3 ply disposable masks
How do those compare to the black ones? A friend gave me some of the black ones today. They are supposed to be reusable. Just wondering since you have experience with masks and I have none

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Highlighted stuff: Maybe they help your patients feel more comfortable too. The regular masks might scare them a little more than the cloth mask covers.

Re: 3 ply disposable masks
How do those compare to the black ones? A friend gave me some of the black ones today. They are supposed to be reusable. Just wondering since you have experience with masks and I have none

You are so right about the cloth masks making the residents feel more comfortable.
Many of them understand what is going on and why all the sudden the masks.
There is a basket of them in the med room- every design, every colour of the rainbow.

If you're speaking of the black nylon type masks, I've seen them but have never used them.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Peeps and Andy.
Bloomberg is reporting a decline in the number of new cases and deaths, in both New York and New Jersey.
This is good news.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I can just imagine how fast the blue shop towels are flying off the shelves. I looked for them earlier but couldn't find them around here.

Shipping is all clogged around here too. I'm still supposed to get some tp tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed. I did get some bleach and some facial tissues.

Did you try auto parts places? That's where I got ours.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Did you try auto parts places? That's where I got ours.

I did and found some about 2 hrs away but wasn't willing to take the chance of driving that far and finding that they had none left. Thanks for the suggestion.

Got my tp :bounce:

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I did and found some about 2 hrs away but wasn't willing to take the chance of driving that far and finding that they had none left. Thanks for the suggestion.

Got my tp :bounce:

I did an online order and waited for pickup notice. I actually ordered from 2 places. Never got a pickup notice all weekend from the one and then got a cancellation notice this morning.

Glad you got TP!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Our town posted an update. As of 4/4/2020 we have 23 confirmed cases and 2 deaths in our town of Pop. 2,800.

One was a former fire chief. The other was the patriarch of a long time restaurant in town. Hub and I met with him years ago to plan the party after our DD's baptism. :sad: