Steamed Hard Boiled Eggs

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
" Remove eggs with a slotted spoon to a bowl of cold water or ice water, or run cold water directly into the pan to cover the eggs and quickly cool them down."

drum roll pleeze! and the above is why it works.
try boiling in water followed by an ice bath - same effect.

the steam does not go in the egg.
the steam coming out of the egg condenses when it hits the membrane.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
" Remove eggs with a slotted spoon to a bowl of cold water or ice water, or run cold water directly into the pan to cover the eggs and quickly cool them down."

drum roll pleeze! and the above is why it works.
try boiling in water followed by an ice bath - same effect.

the steam does not go in the egg.
the steam coming out of the egg condenses when it hits the membrane.

Chowder, I've done the boiled eggs-to-ice water thing for YEARS now because some celebrity chef said that it would prevent the green ring around the yolk. She was correct, but it has never made the eggs easier to peel! Peeling continued to be an aggravating chore!

Granted, I've only done the steaming method once and the shells practically FELL off.

So, I'll try it again and report again.

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the green ring is caused by a chemical reaction between the sulfur and the iron in the egg, and is accelerated by temperature. how one heats the eggs is completely irrelevant to the green ring problem - over heat / over cook it, get green.

the longer the interface between yolk and white stays at elevated temperature, the more faster you get green rings. so technically-on-the-surface-as-far-as-it-went, the statement is correct - but if you over cook an egg, you'll have green whether it is ice shocked or not.

the chemical reaction will continue after cooking and cooling. take a second egg from a perfectly-cooked-no-green-in-sight batch and put it in the fridge for 24-36 hours. bingo! you got green.

I poke a hole in the air sac / big end, do the water boil - soft or hard or harder-soft for DW - followed by an ice bath and I never have an issue peeling the eggs.