What's Cooking 4/9 - 4/16

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Yesterday was Lasagna project ;
today is Stuffed Shells project, but all will go into the freezer, as we will serve Chicken Pie for dinner...:eating2:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Souper-Tuesday came on Monday this week;

Stuffed Italian Hoagie, Sass's Rotel V8 & Cabbage Soup, Mac Salad

So.... Souper-Tuesday becomes Steak Night this week !

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
For Monday night's dinner, we had Caribbasian chicken tenders from 1 of Norman Van Aken's books with a honey, mustard, sesame oil, sriracha dipping sauce. Sides were homemade fries and coleslaw.

Tonight, Tuesday, we'll be having red beans and rice from Paul Prudhomme's recipe, except I adapted the recipe to the pressure cooker. I made it last night in between cooking our dinner so it would have time for the flavors to meld nicely since it seems to always be better the next day.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Big Fat Tamales - I don't think I'm going to get any calls for a tamale rolling job any time soon :blush:. Pic is before steaming.

06140c73-a763-404d-bf62-745fe8a637d3.jpg

This is my third batch. The first batch was pork and chicken rolled in corn husks, and the husks are a lot easier for rolling and steaming. For the second batch, chicken salsa verde tamales, I used parchment paper...never again. On these, again chicken salsa verde, I used wax paper, and they were easier to roll than parchment but not as easy as corn husks.

I'll hopefully get a pic of the inside tonight. Guess I need to clean up that baking sheet, but I probably won't :D.

Johnny West

I love tamales and usually buy them from a lady by the side of the highway. Of late she is no longer there and wondered if she was closed down.

One day would like to make my own.

Johnny West

Here are tonight's leftover linguini with meatloaf simmered in marinara. I swear it was better than when it was fresh. There was enough leftover for a school lunch.

Attachments

• ########Spag LO's.JPG
    ########Spag LO's.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 161

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Couldn't stand it, had to do a tester, they're meaty:

IMG_6715.jpg

Very impressive, Cooksie!

Sometime when you have a chance, would you please start a new thread with your recipes, techniques and photos?

These look terrific!

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Never considered that combo, Johnny ..... Will remember that !

Last night's offering;
Salad Greens; Romaine, Green Tango and Radicchio, with Radish, Tomatoes and carrot sticks, to be topped with a Red Wine Vinaigrette ...

... and the Spaghetti with Mini Meat Balls and Buttered Squash...

Tonight I'll attempt to do an "Orange Chicken"-type dish, using thighs, next to rice and Asparagus Spears.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
We had what we call tasso pasta for Wednesday night's dinner. We use our homemade tasso, which is slices of pork butt with a packed on (and I do mean packed on) cure of various Cajun spices, and yes it has lots of cayenne, cures for several days in fridge and then gets smoked. The rest of the dish is made up of carrots, onions, zucchini and yellow squash, garlic, cream, chicken broth and parm cheese, with pasta obviously. No need for any other spices or herbs, the tasso cure has plenty of everything. Just realized we've never taken a picture of this. If Dogboa left me any for breakfast, he really likes this and had seconds last night, and probably had some for breakfast already, I'll take a pic to post. Not the prettiest dish in the world, but sure is tasty.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I love tamales and usually buy them from a lady by the side of the highway. Of late she is no longer there and wondered if she was closed down.

One day would like to make my own.

Give it a shot! It isn't hard, just time consuming. I know traditionally tamale masa is made with lard, but I just used vegetable oil and they taste fine to my taste buds.

One of my sisters who lives in far south Texas used to bring me the most wonderful tamales. She bought them from a woman who could churn them out, and they were delicious. She even had small cloth bags with drawstrings made for them. I've eaten elk tamales too, and they're great.

Very impressive, Cooksie!

Sometime when you have a chance, would you please start a new thread with your recipes, techniques and photos?

These look terrific!

Lee

Thanks! Let me get one more batch under my belt and then I'll do just that.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I'm on a Twelve Step program to give up crab cakes. I'm gonna start real soon, I promise . . . .

meanwhile - trying Baltimore Jimmy's crab cakes. there are copy cat recipes on-line, they do not agree with what the dude told Guy on DDDins - I scribbled the rx from the tv show.

they are baked, not fried.

starts like this:

Attachments

• IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 143

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
here's the full recipe
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/crab-cakes

note the secret "seafood seasoning" - so getting the exact taste could be tricky.

I cut down the recipe for one pound; it was too wet. methinks the chopped bread sops up more than the panko I used. the were so soft I put them on toast to bake - I didn't want them breaking apart.

as made - used Old Bay for the secret stuff - it would make nice crab gratin.
or a good crab burger on a bun.

I used lump - in his pix you see the effect of "jumbo"
I also think a broil finish would have worked better.

so,,, didn't do the recipe exactly and didn't get the results exactly.
we're close enough we may go for din-din one night to see the real thing and then decide whether to pursue it more.

Attachments

• IMG_0494.jpg
    IMG_0494.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 143

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I'll plus however many on making tamales. They aren't hard, just time consuming. They can be made in big batches and frozen though. I use dry measuring cups and/or big ice cream type scoops so I can get more or less the same amount of masa and filling in each one.

For Thursday night's dinner, Dogboa made us eggplant parm. We like individual ones instead of casserole type. So, he did stacks of 2-3 slices wiht fresh moz and a bit of sauce in between, then baked them long enough to melt the cheese. Bucatini with sauce on the side.
3KBb4NDSdRpyuIuHpONhFdpdrElVghJD-D1EwtzaaMMpX92IB

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
My Orange Sauce was good, but the heat level wasn't there, nor was the deeper color I expected.......... also, a poor choice of plating......... but overall a successful attempt.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Prepping tonight's dinner and my Pizzagaina ingredients.

Scampi, clams and Greek salad tonight.

Tonight's and Easter ? menus posted in holiday thread.

Johnny West

The mrs made a vegetarian faux chicken stir fry for dinner and it was excellent. She got some pre packaged stir fry veg at the commissary today and will never have to chop veg again. Good stuff.

Attachments

• ########Stir Fry.JPG
    ########Stir Fry.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 92

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
We had breakfast for Friday's dinner. Dogboa made sausage gravy and Alton Brown's biscuits. We also had fried eggs and cubed home fries that were joint efforts.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Last night's compilation;
Andouille Brats w/ Peppers and onions, Yellow Rice and BBQ Baked Beans...

Tonight we will wing it ; might go out, we'll see.............

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Last night I had a spinach salad and some crabbies. I have a corned beef in the crock pot for sandwiches for tonight.