How do you cook your bacon?

How do you primarily cook your bacon.

• In a Cast Iron pan on the stove top.

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • In a Stainless Steel pan on the stove top.

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • In a non-stick pan on the stove top.

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • In another type of pan on the stove top.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Baked in the oven.

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • In the microwave.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • On the grill.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t do bacon.

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Sloooowly over low heat in a frying pan or oven bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes. 20 for crispy and that's the way I like my bacon.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Cast iron skillet for me 99% of the time but have a grand daughter that makes in a microwave, got the be the limpest stuff I ever saw though it tastes ok.

suziquzie

none of the above?
I have a big honkin' electric griddle DH bought me when we moved in here..... I can fit the whole pound on at once and turns out perfect.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
"I don't do bacon"? :ohmy:

Yes, unfortunately there are some people who don't do bacon,some of them don't do meat at all.

Some people also can't eat it on religous grounds.

But we still respect them all.

leolady

Yes, unfortunately there are some people who don't do bacon,some of them don't do meat at all.

Some people also can't eat it on religous grounds.

But we still respect them all.

With the exception of my sister who is a complete numbnut.:twak:

chowhound

lol, good one Buzz. Which category would your "frying pan" fit in then, SS, non-stick, CI...? I think that's what Keltin was getting at. And Suzi, your electric griddle is probably non-stick, right? That's the only way I've seen them anyway. I'd put a vote up for the cooking surface used.
I voted CI, even though I usually use my griddle.
Last night's bacon precooking for Bam's Buffalo style shrimp.

Attachments

• bacon on griddle.jpg
    bacon on griddle.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 153

chowhound

Did you really have to do that?!?!?! :yum:

That is some good looking bacon. Look how wide it is! Nice!

lol, last night I was bitchin' about how wide it was. Either that or my shrimp were too small :lol: Try wrapping a wide piece of bacon around a curled shrimp the same size. Pain in the butt!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
lol, last night I was bitchin' about how wide it was. Either that or my shrimp were too small :lol: Try wrapping a wide piece of bacon around a curled shrimp the same size. Pain in the butt!

You got shrimpy shrimp chowhound, you need something like these, oh and the knife is 8.5" long on the blade. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• shrimp1.jpg
    shrimp1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 145

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
You got shrimpy shrimp chowhound, you need something like these, oh and the knife is 8.5" long on the blade. :mrgreen:

OT Joe, but who did the handle? Fish? Doesn't really look like his normal stuff but doesn't look like any other custom handler's either.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
lol, good one Buzz. Which category would your "frying pan" fit in then, SS, non-stick, CI...?

I use non-stick and DW uses All-Clad SS. Matter of preference but I've gotten the SS too hot in the past. Call me Mr. No Patience.

lilylove

start with a cold pan... fry at a low heat... under cook just a bit.

I do a few pounds every time and freeze some. I take it out then warm it up in the microwave since, it's undercooked the microwaving doesn't over cook it... :)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
OT Joe, but who did the handle? Fish? Doesn't really look like his normal stuff but doesn't look like any other custom handler's either.

Yes it was Fish and the knife is a Misono 210mm UX10 gyuto, the first I got from him. He also did a Tojiro PM for me a bit different than his usual style shown below.

Attachments

• FishTojiro240mm_2.jpg
    FishTojiro240mm_2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 139

chowhound

Boy you got that right JoeC, but they were $11.98 for 2 lbs compared to $28/2 lbs that were only slightly bigger. I was saying something at the store and was told that there might have been another seafood market that opened up in Erie. We used to have three, now we have none. Go figure. Those are some nice looking shrimp you got there.

Hey Keltin, you didn't include microwave bacon pans (lol). I still have mine back from when microwave cookware was the rage.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Yes it was Fish and the knife is a Misono 210mm UX10 gyuto, the first I got from him. He also did a Tojiro PM for me a bit different than his usual style shown below.

I sure wish he was still around as I have two knives I'd love to have him rehandle in his own special style..

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Hey Keltin, you didn't include microwave bacon pans (lol). I still have mine back from when microwave cookware was the rage.

Yep, microwave is up there. I've actually used one of those bacon trays a few times. They work pretty good to be honest. :hide:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Boy you got that right JoeC, but they were $11.98 for 2 lbs compared to $28/2 lbs that were only slightly bigger. I was saying something at the store and was told that there might have been another seafood market that opened up in Erie. We used to have three, now we have none. Go figure. Those are some nice looking shrimp you got there.

I actually get these shrimp for Kroger's a few times a year, but then I buy them out when I see them. These are my first choice for coconut shrimp due to their size. Oh and those 4 without the head weight almost exactly one pound.

chowhound

oops, missed that the first time I read it, K.
Yep. I've done it in the microwave, too. Covered with a paper towel. That's why I still have my microwave pan, just in case the mood strikes me again (lol).

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Primarily, I bake it in the oven on two long racks over two cookie sheets, so I can do a whole pound at once. I undercook it a little, so when I nuke it as I need it, it's done just right.

But the flavor of cherry-smoked bacon on the smoker is a cherished treat in the summertime! Try this with a sandwich of homegrown tomatoes and Hellman's mayo ............ AMBROSIA!

Lee