Smoked pork shanks?

chowhound

I went to the town grocer to pick up the items I needed for Keltin's DO sausage and veggies. The sausage called for was (Hillshires) smoked, so of course all to be had was Polska Kielbasa. In any brand.....
So I had a brain storm. In order to add a smoky taste, I bought a package of two smoked pork shanks. I've seen them, but have never purchased them before, nor do I know anyone who has ever used them. I am hoping this was a brain storm and not a brain fart. I intend to add one of them when I add the sausage.

So what are these things used for? Just flavoring? Can you eat them? A quick Google got me some soup recipes that called for them, but of the ones I read, none said to remove the shank before serving.

Thanks

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
You can eat them. I use them when I make a pot of beans (typically pintos). I add the shanks (or smoked neck bones) to the crock pot, then the beans, then enough water to barely cover. Let it go on low over night, then remove the shanks. Once they cool, bone the meat and add it back into the beans. The smoke flavor is awesome. You really don’t need to add any other seasonings to your beans when you use them.

You can use the Kielbasa in that recipe I posted just as well as the smoked sausage. The smoked sausage doesn’t really add much smokey flavor to the veggies, but I do like the taste of the meat. Adding the shanks for smokey flavor ought to be pretty cool. Let us know how it turns out!