What's your favorite skillet?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What's your favorite skillet made of? Is it a brand name one or basic cast iron?

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I have my grandmothers 10" cast iron skillet. We use it every week Great for bacon and eggs or cornbread. It is well seasoned, coal black and has been since I can remember. We also have a pair of cast iron muffin trays that will make cornbread in the shape of small corn cobs.

Jim

RoadKing

Same here I have my Mom's cast iron and love it.

Here's something I do when simmering a sauce or making soup.
If you've noticed top line stockpots have a very thick bottom to dissipate heat but cost an arm and a leg. What I have is a cast iron circle from an old woodstove I put that on the burner ( gas stove ) then put my stock pot on that. I haven't burnt a sauce since. It takes a little longer to heat the iron but once it's hot it stays hot and even.

Locutus

Depends on what I'm cooking!:)

Cast iron for most things, teflon or ironstone for others.

If I had to get by with just one single skillet for the rest of my life, it would probably be my 30 year old Herter's 12 inch cast iron. :heart:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Herter's 12 inch cast iron. :heart:

I'm amazed to find someone who ever heard of Herters, much less owning something from their catalog.

My first press and loading dies were from Herters in the early 60's. The press was $7.95 and weighed a ton. The rifle dies were $5.95. The press is long gone, replaced by a RCBS but I still have the dies.

Jim

Locutus

My skillet is the Herter's "model perfect.":wink:

A Herter's catalog was one of my wife's first Christmas presents to me. :kiss:

I really miss the old Herter's catalog. I bought a lot of stuff from them, including that old skillet and a humongus Dutch Oven!

Also got a bullet swager and a lot of supplies there.

Hey! Ever try one of their magnificent "Wild Rice Flour Fruitcakes? :yuk: :sick::yuk:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
My skillet is the Herter's "model perfect.":wink:

Lot of their stuff had "perfect" in the title. :yum:

I really miss the old Herter's catalog. I bought a lot of stuff from them, including that old skillet and a humongus Dutch Oven!

Also got a bullet swager and a lot of supplies there.

I enjoyed reading their catalog. I still have Herters loading blocks and a primer turner.

Hey! Ever try one of their magnificent "Wild Rice Flour Fruitcakes? :yuk: :sick::yuk:

Nope, never tried any of their recipes either. :w00t:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I actually have 5 pans 3 cast iron a Griswold, Wagner and Lodge Grill Pan. I have 2 scanpan pro line (stainless handles) that I just do eggs in one 10" and one 12". All of my cast iron is 12".

Locutus

has anyone ever done a side by side comparison between a heavy cast iron skillet, and a stainless steel skillet?

If so, what do you think of each as compared to the other? :confused:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have and don't care much for frying in a stainless pan. I have a couple of stainless with aluminum encapsulated bottom pans that are good for some things but not frying. My main complaint with the stainless it requires more oil etc to keep it from sticking while good properly seasoned cast iron is really the real none stick. Now the stainless is great at lower heats though for making mushrooms for example. Another good pan for frying is the black steel pans. Now they are thinner than cast iron and much lighter but they are excellent egg pans and quick frying steaks. I haven't owned one in years but they are also fairly cheap in restaurant supply places.

Last edited:

PanchoHambre

My favorite skillet is my Wapak 10 it is probably not my 'best' and its not one of them fancy indian head one but it just feels right.... i put it through quite a bit of abuse... last night it browned 2 pork loins and a pound of sausage, was deglazed twice (once with Marsala once with white wine) and rendered a pound of fat into lard deglazed a third time with water, wiped clean and is sitting on my stove happy and ready to go.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I have a Wagner CI and Lodge CI that I love. I don't like frying in my SS pan, but I do like sauteing in it. For pots I really like my SS with glass lids.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Cast iron hands down.... no clue what brand it is. Next would be my cheap-o non stick skillet.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The problem with non stick skillets is the non stick can't handle enough heat to fry a good steak for example. My non stick I won't go over medium heat on my stove but usually stay below that for the most part. I used to have a carbon steel pan but lost it somewhere in the move from Florida to Kentucky and have never replaced it. I actually loved it for searing meats to cooking eggs. I really need to buy another as they are really cheap in most restaurant supply places.

smoke king

Banned
Cast iron hands down.

Concur-my CI has been with me longer than I care to admit, and have no idea what brand it is, but you can take it when you pry from my cold dead hands!!

I won't go into what brand of pans I use (for fear of being mocked!) but, suffice to say, they aren't Allclad but judging by the way my family stuffs their pie-holes at dinner-time, they do get the job done!!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Man my stainless is Wolfgang Puck which I got 5 years ago at Sam's club for under $100. I've added a few pieces but excellent stainless with thick aluminum encapsulated bottoms. They won't work on induction stove tops though so I will probably replace them next year when I go induction. My cast iron will work fine though and I don't use copper at all so not a problem.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I actually have three favourites...

The first is also the oldest. It was my Mother's. It's a Farberware 18 inch skillet with lid. I recall her getting the entire set when I was 12. She gave me the whole set about 10 years ago. I love the skillet and refuse to toss it...even though the handle has since fallen off long ago. :oops:

The second is the middle aged of the three...and it's a 12 inch saute pan from Cuisinart, also with a lid.

The third is a heavy ass cast iron 10 inch pan that needs nor desires no flowery introduction. It's a workhorse hoping to live as long as the Farberware pan.

My favorite is the 6 inch CI I bought to go in my camper in 1965. I use it a lot, 'til yet. My wife's favorite was her 10 inch CI her Mother gave her, that she baked her cornbread in. Only way to bake real cornbread!

Fred

PanchoHambre

I actually have three favourites...

The first is also the oldest. It was my Mother's. It's a Farberware 18 inch skillet with lid. I recall her getting the entire set when I was 12. She gave me the whole set about 10 years ago. I love the skillet and refuse to toss it...even though the handle has since fallen off long ago.

I have one of these.. picked it up at a flea market along with its companion gigantic stock pot... sometimes size matters:dizzy:

Mine are my 2 10" All Clad SS fry pans. My runner up would be my CI pans I restored. Pancho would be proud. lol

Something nice about cooking with something restored... I have alot of em in the works right now.. .gonna have to re-enforce the beams

Are copper bottom SS a problem on induction surfaces? I assume others and CI are OK on it.

I don't see why not

CI is OK as long as you don't have the heat ring style bottom this will cause a problem because the surface wont touch.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Thanks Pancho, I know two of my CI do have the heat ring on em... aww shucks LOL. Not that I have plans for an induction stove anytime soon...

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Are copper bottom SS a problem on induction surfaces? I assume others and CI are OK on it.

If a magnet will stick to the bottom then it should work fine on induction. The new stainless lines use 18/10 stainless on the inside but 18/0 outside so they will work. Induction top stoves don't get hot just the pan gets hot and almost instantly. Probably the most efficient both in energy use and lost heat that has ever been invented. I have one of these that I wanted to try out to see if I liked it and do. http://www.amazon.com/Circulon-50922-Infinite-Induction-Cooker/dp/B00143O9OU/ref=pd_sbs_hg_5 I use this for my carbon steel woks.

PanchoHambre

Thanks Pancho, I know two of my CI do have the heat ring on em... aww shucks LOL. Not that I have plans for an induction stove anytime soon...

The induction stoves freak me out a bit.... too many scratching worries.. I like fire. Hopefully I will be replacing my stove in the next year or so.. I want something heavy duty with big burner grilles one thing I am not in the kitchen is careful.

If you do get an induction you could always save your current skillets for the grill and pick up a few smooth bottom ones... more CI is never a bad thing:biggrin:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
All of my cast iron even those with heat rings work fine on mine. As for scratching problems I have a GE glass top electric right now and never had a problem with the top on it. Actually it is a pretty good range but would of preferred gas though. Gas is a problem in that it would be a major problem to get a line to our kitchen though I gas hot water heater and fire place.

PanchoHambre

huh Joe... that's interesting I had heard the heat ring skillets did not work w/induction... I wonder if it depends on the stove or the skillet.

High Cheese

Saucier
All of my cast iron even those with heat rings work fine on mine. As for scratching problems I have a GE glass top electric right now and never had a problem with the top on it. Actually it is a pretty good range but would of preferred gas though. Gas is a problem in that it would be a major problem to get a line to our kitchen though I gas hot water heater and fire place.

You could install a dedicated propane tank outside and just run a line to the stove.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The problem is the construction on the office/apartment. It is set on a solid 10" slab with 4 " solid poured concrete exterior walls with 2 x 4 interior wall frames and dry wall. The roof is standing seam steel with no crawl space. So I can't run the lines through the floors or ceilings and sure don't want gas lines coming in from the exterior walls through the cabinets nor do I want to replace a wall to get the line in it. Besides I love the induction it really is a better way to cook than gas with a lot less energy demands, no kitchen heat, instant on off for heat so better control. It is also very fast, you know boils water in 90 seconds. It is a bit pricey at the moment but by next year when I will be redoing the whole kitchen including cabinets, appliances etc. Will really decide at that time and will only have to replace my 18/10 stainless stuff (about 10 pieces) for it.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Induction does sound interesting, and very efficient as well as safer with kids around, but if I do get a new stove I want to put in a double wall stove and a nice gas grill top with griddle attachment... hey if you are gonna do it do it with gusto!! LOL.