ISO a TNT Cod Fish Cake Recipe

lilbopeep

🍀🍀🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Please share your favorite TNT recipe for cod fish cakes.

Mom used to make them when I was a kid. She used a box (that was the same size and shape of a box of pudding/jello mix) dry/flaked cod (looked like saw dust) which is no longed available. I really want to make cod fish cakes for Good Friday. I have never made them before. So I am seeking your advice.

Lots of questions:

Cod fillets or cod steak? Does it make a difference?

Do you use mashed potatoes?

Do you poach the cod in milk or water (seasoned or not seasoned) then drain, flake/mash and add to the mashed potatoes?
Or do you cook the cod with the potatoes then drain and mash together?

Do you dredge the cod cakes in egg/flour or egg/bread crumbs (or no egg just flour or crumbs) before frying?

Do you refrigerate or freeze cakes before frying for ease in flipping them?

Thank you so much in advance.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've never made them so can be of no help.

I'll be interested to see if anybody posts any ideas since I just bought a huge bag of Pacific cod loins the other day at Sam's.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i've made them-- jus' use instinct-- i would use potato as my binder & cook my cod gently & shred; combine gently w/ a fork & season, then dredge in either crumbs of some sort, could use panko, then there is cookng them--
fold together, dredge, & fry them-- some bake 'em-- i'm not one of those ppl, i luv my food to be cooked as food ought be
don't know how i'm so teensy

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thank you. Ok I found a recipe but want to see some more input from anyone who has made them.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
it's a question of what one recalls - ye'olde comfort food thing.

they can be made in lumpy fashion or with a food processor 'blenderized' into an almost paste consistency - like fish/chicken croquettes.

it's the same with fishsticks - you have to read the packaging - some are ground up fish extruded into long sticks - others are cut from filets. and it's not the brand per se - (I think it was) Gordons has both.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Peep, did you ever make your codfish cakes?

I can't find the recipe I used the last time I made them, but I'm pretty sure I bought dried salt cod for them.

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Peep, did you ever make your codfish cakes?

I can't find the recipe I used the last time I made them, but I'm pretty sure I bought dried salt cod for them.

Lee
I did make them. But used fresh cod. It was a pain to fry them. DD said she liked the flavor but not to make them again. LOL If I do make them again I will use dried salt cod (bacalao).