ISO - Low calorie salad.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Last Dr's appointment my A1C was "On the cusp" not there, don't want to be.

Dr. asked that I take off 25% of my body weight by January. In Andyese, that translates way more than that, same time frame.

Anyway, as some of you know, my wife and I do 30+ craft shows a year. We are out once sometimes twice a week over the summer. as Fall and the holidays approach, we will be out all weekend.

I pack meals and drinks for us. I am looking for some kind of a salad or something that has some taste to it and no carbs and few calories. Any ideas would be appreciated.

My personal goal is 800 calories a day.

Andy

Cooksie

Site Supporter
That's going to be pretty much a green salad. Load it up with things like radishes, cucumbers, tomatoes, and use a very little amt of low-cal dressing. At night add some grilled chicken tenders, or a grilled chicken tender :(.

You might want to check into getting a George Foreman grill. They're non-stick, and all the fat drains off. I love the ckn tenders that I cook on mine.

Fish on the George and a salad is another choice.

Good Luck!

lilbopeep

🍀🍀🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I like to dress a salad simple often I just give my salad a splash of lemon juice and fresh grated romano and parm cheese. It tastes great with tuna or grilled chicken on top of the salad.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andy, did your doctor suggest an 800 calorie/day diet for you? That's pretty low.

I used to do that when I was in my 20's, but just for 8 weeks, to lose some weight so I could be hedonistic on my island vacations. It was easier in those days - for one thing, I smoked a lot of cigarettes.

I take it that you've read up on it. Lots of info. - here's one article http://www.diet-and-health.net/Diet/800caloriedietmenu.html

In the meantime, I'll think about salads/meals that you can take while craft-showing.

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
most vegetables tend to be low in fats and carbs - it's the dressings that do in a diet . . . the low-to-zero calorie dressings are also lowlow fat - typically yogurt or soy based.

800 calories / day is indeed a severe diet - keeping a balance of other nutrients will be very important so you don't inadvertently go off some other deep end deficiency wise.

are you thinking "hearty" type salads with meats/dairy/proteins?

chicken is the usual go to; gets old real fast - curiously tho lean beef and pork can be quite reasonable for calories and fats in smaller quantities (2 - 3 ounces vs the 80 ounce steak house cut . . . )

lots and lots of resources out there - holler if you need some leads.

Johnny West

As, I've stated previously, we're doing the Whole30 program and eating a lot paleo meals. I've lost 20 pounds in 1.5 months. Even over the weekend trip we took, I stuck pretty close to it except for some bread, pasta, and a bit of good cheese. 800 calories is not a lot and agree with Lee.

Whole30 has lots of nice salads with you can google.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Just thought I would check in here.
Weight at Doctors when I decided to do something. - 258
Weight this morning - 227
800 Calories didn't make it. I found that below 1,000 to 1,200 your body backs off on metabolism.
I am now reasonable happy, I have gotten past the major hunger pang and working toward a goal weight. Not ashamed to share that number, just don't want to jinx it. Some day I will tell you the back story for that.

Andy

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
well, i live on a feeding tube & booze--
that being said, i know my food--
put veggies, scads of them, into your meals
-proponents ought be chicken breast, tofu (lite silken tofu has a textural differentiation that i luv), stuff u find in a veggie aisle, & fibers,-- fiber keeps u not-hungry
-almond milk
-seltzer, not pop
-salad is simplistic-- lettuce, a lean meat in moderation (chix, turkey) & a dab of cheese-- balsamic vinegar & egg sans its middle-- lettuce is by no means gonna make your belly say 'yep!', so add a meat-- an egg is 15 k-kals when u take it's yolk away, & chix is 150 @ best

i have a gazillion others, tips & pointers, so if u need them, message me--

btw, not deli turkey/meats-- sodium in that meat'll hold fluid-- not an A+

Last edited: