sweet & sour

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
DW came up with an internet sweet&sour chicken thing - looked quite typical,,,

pineapple juice+brown sugar+splash vinegar+splash sherry . . .
add diced pineapple chunks, thicken with cornstarch . . .

what a waste of perfectly good chicken.

so, it didn't work. the flavor balance was way off.
it can't be difficult - who's got a TNT sweet&sour sauce routine?

Dogboa

I came up with a similar dish for hog fish. I did use sweet red bell pepper and onion, both cut in large chunks. Didn't use sherry or vinegar as, IMO, the pineapple was tart enough. I did use some soy sauce. I didn't use any thickener since I reduced the sauce before the fish went in. I served it to friends and they raved about it. It went over white, long grain rice. I think it would be good with pork and chicken, but the preparation would need some tweaking to insure tenderness of the pork. For chicken, I'd use boneless/skinless thighs. Probably use tenderloin seared in the pan first, them set aside and added back to the dish much sooner that I would the fish. Same for the chicken.

Last edited:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
This is the one I use...
Can't guarantee you'll like it, tho'

Sweet And Sour Sauce
1x 15 ounce can pineapple chunks in juice -- drain/ reserve -- juice. reserved Pineapple juice
1/2 cup tomato catsup
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
Combine all of the above, making sure the cornstarch is thoroughly dispersed.
Use this sauce with stir-fried chicken or pork with the appropriate stir-fried vegetables (green peppers,
onions, carrots, celery, water chestnuts, tomatoes, what-have-you), and the pineapple.

Moxie

C'Man,

You are correct in saying this was an internet type recipe. The pineapple juice is definitely an American fast food type sweet & sour. In my experience, the pineapple juice makes the sauce too syrupy. I have a large collection of Asian cookbooks, and none of them call for pineapple. They pretty much stick to vinegar/sugar combinations.

If you want the carry-out pineapple kind, try this one. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/01/sweet-and-sour-sauce.html

If you want authentic, try one of these. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/06/sweet-and-sour-spare-ribs-recipe.html

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
it seems to me - and that can end not well,,,, there should exist

a basic sweet&sour sauce - which can be taste tilted one way or the other based on the dish.
eh?

anyone used honey? you can cook down honey to any state of sticky/thickness you want . . .

the recipe I made was basically pineapple chicken soup at the Tiki Bar.
not my style, sigh.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Not that I've ever made sweet and sour sauce from scratch that often,but when I have it's simply sugar,garlic,soy sauce,vinegar and ketchup.

Wonder how honey would work in place of the sugar?
Adjusting some ingredients, scientifically of course.