Japanese Milk Bread

homecook

Lee, sent me a PIN to this recipe and I had to try it. It turned out pretty good for my first time. lol It's almost cool enough to slice into, can't wait!!

Attachments

• 102_4658.JPG
    102_4658.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 212
  • 102_4660.JPG
    102_4660.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 227
  • 102_4661.JPG
    102_4661.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 210
  • 102_4663.JPG
    102_4663.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 220

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Gorgeous! Please let us know what you think, when you taste it, Barb.

I wanted to pin it to JoeV, too, but I don't think he pins.

Lee

homecook

Delicious.....Soft......Fluffy

Attachments

• 102_4666.JPG
    102_4666.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 215
  • 102_4669.JPG
    102_4669.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 246

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ohhhhh, I wanna try!

I've never been successful with bread, other than the NY Times No-Knead Bread.

But I'd like to try again with this one!

Lee

homecook

Lee, I'm sure you can make this. It's not hard at all. You can even make it in two days if you want. Give it a try.....

Ian M.

Lee/Barb - Could you post the recipe for this bread - it looks wonderful! Fallon found a recipe from a friend of hers for something called "Peasant Bread that's a yeast bread (but no kneeding involved - you stir it) that makes the best bread I think I've ever eaten in my life. It's so soft and fluffy inside but has a delicious light crust on the outside. And, we discovered, it lasts way longer then most conventional bread does without turning to green! That's always a plus. However, fresh out of the oven, it doesn't last long in our house, without getting snarfed down by guess who! This bread is special when still a bit warm right out of the oven - slathered in lots of butter and jam. Or forget the jam and just use the butter. Fantastic!! Anyone interested, I'll be delighted to share the recipe - just have to wrench it out of Fallon's grubby little hands............. :mrgreen:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmmm, there are a bunch of recipes for this on Pinterest and I don't know which one Barb used.

Her photos look just like the ones that were posted.

Barb, did you copy that recipe?

Yes, Ian, please post the recipe for Fallon's bread when you get it, in a new thread of it's own.

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I'm glad you posted those pix - I tried
from lafujimama.com - Milk Shokupan

to 150 grams bread flour add
25 g white granulated sugar
7 g yeast
9 g salt

heat 270 g milk to 130'F/54'C; allow to cool to 100'F/38'C
add to dry mix above, incorporate by spoon.

begin mixing, add 150-175 g flour to make a sticky dough
knead 5 minutes (KA, lowest speed, bread hook)

cover, let rise until double
roll out to flat 8x14 sheet; roll short ends then roll entire length
second rise in greased/floured bread pan; til 3/4 inch /2 cm over top
bake 25-30 minutes at 390'F/200'C

but I didn't get that much rise or the pretty end swirl....
time for another go!

homecook

http://food52.com/recipes/30962-hokkaido-milk-bread

For the hangzhong:

6 T water
2 T bread flour

For the rest:

1/4 cup whole milk
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 3/4 cups (about 350 grams) bread flour
Scant 1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk or milk powder (optional)
2 eggs, 1 for the dough and 1 for the egg wash
2 tablespoons butter, softened
splash milk or water, for the egg wash

In a small saucepan, whisk together 6 tablespoons of water and 2 tablespoons of bread flour until no lumps remain. Heat the mixture over medium-low heat, whisking constantly. It should thicken to a gel-like consistency after just a few minutes. As soon as lines appear in the mixture when stirred, remove it from the heat and transfer it to a small, clean bowl. Let cool to room temperature.

Next, heat the milk briefly to just above room temperature, about 110° F or lukewarm to the touch (I do this simply by microwaving it for 10 to 15 seconds). Sprinkle the yeast over the milk and set it aside for 5 to 10 minutes for the yeast to activate (you’ll see the milk start to foam). In the meantime, sift together the bread flour, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl or a measuring cup, whisk together the tangzhong, cream, condensed milk (or milk powder), and one egg.

When it’s ready, add the yeast mixture to the wet ingredients, and whisk gently, just to incorporate. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in all of the wet ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a loose, shaggy dough, then switch to using your hands. Knead for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the dough forms a semi-smooth ball. The dough will be quite sticky -- sprinkle flour over your hands and the dough as is necessary while you knead, but try to avoid over-flouring. (One tablespoon of flour should be enough.)

Add the butter to the dough, one tablespoon at a time, kneading after each addition. Add the second tablespoon of butter only after the first has been evenly incorporated. The dough will be slippery and messy at this point, but just keep kneading (actually, it’s oddly satisfying) and it should eventually form a soft and pliable dough that’s easy to work with. Knead for an additional 4 to 5 minutes, or until the dough becomes smooth and elastic.

In the meantime, sift together the bread flour, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl or a measuring cup, whisk together the tangzhong, cream, condensed milk (or milk powder), and one egg.

Place the dough in a large bowl with plenty of room and cover with plastic wrap or a damp towel. Let proof for 1 to 2 hours, or until well doubled. Alternatively, you can let the dough proof overnight in the refrigerator, which I prefer. It gives extra time for the gluten to develop, and yields a better flavor, in my opinion. Plus, dividing the labor over two days makes the process much more manageable. The dough should be fine for up to 24 hours. If storing in the refrigerator, cover more tightly with plastic wrap to avoid drying out.

Once the dough is doubled, turn it out and punch it down. Divide it into three or four equal pieces. For each piece, roll the dough out to a long oval. Fold the oval into thirds widthwise, then flatten again. Roll the dough up lengthwise, then place into the loaf pan. Repeat with remaining pieces.

Let the dough proof again until nearly it’s doubled, another hour or so. After about 40 minutes, preheat the oven to 350° F. When the dough seems ready, test it by pressing it gently with one finger; when the indentation bounces back slowly but remains visible, the dough is ready to bake.

Whisk your second egg with a splash of milk or water, and brush the egg wash over the dough. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden-brown on top. When it’s done, the bread will sound hollow when tapped. Let it cool briefly, then slice and enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator: