Using a pastry (piping) bag

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I want to make pretty meringue cookies, and the "spoon and slop" method isn't cutting it for us. Has anyone used a pastry bag for this? Will a lot of the "dough" stick to the sides, and how on Earth will I wash it afterwards?

thanks

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I've used pastry bags for choux paste, potatoes, vegetable purees, frostings, whipped cream, etc. They wash up very easily in a sink with hot water & a little dish soap.

Most pastry bags have a plastic type lining. If you don't want the clean up, there are 2 other methods I've used.

1. Cut the corner off a large zip-lock food storage bag.
2. Make a cone (called a coronet) from a large square of parchment paper, and clip the point off.

You can insert a pastry tip into any of the 3 (pastry bag, plastic bag or parchment cone) before filling to make your piping decorative.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
There are also disposable pastry bags: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Disposable-Inch-Decorating-Bags/dp/B0000CFMLT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1295371381&sr=1-1-spell[/ame]

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Who thinks I can also use a cookie gun for my meringues? I don't like the Wilton pastry bag I saw in the store.