Death Of A Salesman

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
If this doesn't beat all, the fifth death of a (old) friend since coming north for the warm season. Perhaps my leaving for Florida next month will stop the madness. His name is Bill and his death was, or is about to be, as bizarre as his life. He was the fraternity brother who ironed his pajamas on weekends in anticipation of getting some chick up to his room during a party. He was the guy who had worked for several slick financial companies in Chicago and other cities around the country doing deals no one should get involved in, at least from the customer side of the equation. He was the guy who spent two years in the slammer because he pissed off one of his many ex wives and was ratted out for tax evasion. In all his craziness he was a fairly cool guy, and handsome as can be. He always reminded me of a young Sean Connery.

I just received the following, second hand from another brother:

Dearest Friends,

It just occurred to me that I should share this information with you. A week ago Bill Willard had a serious choking accident in a restaurant (in San Diego, where he lives.) He excused himself, went to the men's room. After he didn't come out for a long time someone went to look for him and found him passed out on the floor. No idea how much time had elapsed but apparently enough time between the episode and the arrival of medics that he suffered severe brain damage from oxygen deprivation. He has been in a coma ever since. Basically, doctors are not giving him any likelihood of recovery and the options are keeping him alive with a ventilator and feeding tube for who knows how long, or letting him die.

Bill has no family-- no parents, no siblings, no wife, no children--and had given no one a power of attorny over his affairs or health care decisions. I think they found a cousin in Chicago but I don't know if that is close enough for her to have any authority, and besides I think they had had a falling out (like he did with so many of his relationship over the years.) He has a few friends in San Diego who are doing what they can, but they are not in a position, nor would they want to be, to make that decision. So it will be up to an ethics panel at the hospital. Although his friends think he has a lot of money (and he may) it is most likely that he does not but, as usual, he had just been putting on a very good show. I wouldn't be surprised if he has no health insurance. He would be on Medicare if he botherd to sign up, but when I signed up for Medicare myself a few years ago they asked me if I knew his whereabouts because he hadn't paid into Social Security in years and Medicare didn't have him on their rolls.

I have had no contact with him for almost 30 years. None. I didn't even know where he was until just a year or two ago when mutual friends had had a visit from them. Those same friends tracked me down last week to tell me about this and mainly to see if I knew of any "next of kin." I was no help because I couldn't even remember the cousin's name.

I never expected Bill to end up this way. I imagined a number of grim scenarios, but this one is too bizarre. I feel sorry for him, especially how alone he is.

Jinky

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I'm curious about one thing:

He would be on Medicare if he botherd to sign up, but when I signed up for Medicare myself a few years ago they asked me if I knew his whereabouts because he hadn't paid into Social Security in years and Medicare didn't have him on their rolls.

Why exactly would a Federally run health care system ask a member out of nowhere about another member? Was this guy wearing a shirt saying “Ask me About Bill Willard”? Did this guy include in his paperwork that he knew all about Bill Willard? Did he start his interview by laying down a Most Wanted poster about Bill Willard? Were the federal employees on duty that day inclined to break Federal Law and discuss other patient records with this super special person that obviously has uber-secret clearance within the Federal government?

Something seems fishy here to me.

Not to mention the guy writing that comes across as a self-serving prick.

If the deceased was your friend, then I’m sorry for your loss. But the guy that wrote this is a real heel if you ask me.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Why exactly would a Federally run health care system ask a member out of nowhere about another member?
I was thinking the same thing.

Sorry for your loss, Buz. I went thru a similar scenario with the death of the guy who was my Best Man at my wedding. He never married, was a cop, and embalmed himself with Windsor Canadian (that's the joke made by our mutual friend who is a funeral director). He led a solitary lifestyle and really drank like a fish. Cirrhosis and heart disease (smoked 3 packs of Camels a day) was listed as cause of death. They found him in his home after he didn't show up for work after 3 days. A month later his twin sister died of unknown causes. She, too, led an unusual and reclusive life, at least in the eyes of those close to her. Olga (aka Honey) and Joe were the only children of Olga and Joe. Yep, named the kids after themselves.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I'm curious about one thing:

Why exactly would a Federally run health care system ask a member out of nowhere about another member? Was this guy wearing a shirt saying “Ask me About Bill Willard”?

I received the email from a fraternity brother who was passing along Jinky's mail to him. Jinky is one of Bill's ex wives. I assume that is the SSN connection.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My condolences Buzz.

Are you in Florida now?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I received the email from a fraternity brother who was passing along Jinky's mail to him. Jinky is one of Bill's ex wives. I assume that is the SSN connection.

Oh. That explains a lot. :oops::blush:

Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
My condolences Buzz.

Are you in Florida now?
I think Buzz and DW are spending a weekend away together. :wink:

I am very sorry you got this sad news, Buzz. There is not much that is sadder than someone dying alone because they have no one left in their lives.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Update:

Brother Alpha Delts,
I am sad to inform you that Brother Bill Willard has passed away. The short story is he was eating in a restaurant in San Diego, choked on a piece of steak, passed out, went into cardiac arrest and died This Sunday afternoon we are spreading his ashes in the Pacific and coming back to hoist a few drinks and tell some Bill Willard stories. We all have a lot of those. If you have a favorite story to tell, let me know.
Brother Krueger

True Stories:

I loved catching him explaining his injuries from his sky diving accident when he'd had some trouble with his parachute, while grinning at those of us who knew he'd just been drunk and fell out of a window.

And will any of us who were there ever forget how freaked out his Mother was when she opened the door to their place in Lake Geneva that morning and discovered it strewn with MANY Alpha Delts and their dates?!!

Bill Willard did go to Chadbourne Hall with several other brothers including Gary Olin. Bill presented himself to a co-ed there as if he were representing Playboy Magazine and interviewed her and some photos were taken in the lounge at Chad as preliminary to the promise of a photo shoot later. Gary Olin took my camera and took some pictures, which I may still have somewhere deep in the recesses of the basement. Whether a more revealing photo shoot was ever held, I don’t recall.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good stories good times. Thanks for the update buzz.