Okay .... Now What ??

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
So, I bought eight of these monsters on impulse........... now what do I do with 'em ???

Dogboa

Leaving the tail, remove the shell from the carapace down and butterfly, removing the vein in the process. Make a crab stuffing and broil, basting with a garlic, lemon butter sauce.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Lucky - I moved this to "In Search Of". I thought it would get more exposure there. If you object, please let me know.

Thank You

Andy

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I can't wait to see those cooked. Little off topic, but if you ever run across slipper lobster tails, snatch them up. They're delicious.

Dogboa

They called it "Royal Pink" at the Korean Market.....

Dogboa;
Do you have a recipe for the crab stuffing you mentioned ?

I use this recipe, make a smaller amount and sub jumbo lump for the lobster. I also use the crab version to stuff flounder and hogfish.

Lobster Diablo

With this recipe you can adjust the ingredients to your taste. Although I'm going to give amounts, I really just "eyeball" it. Feel free to adjust away to make it your own. This recipe was originally developed using Florida/Caribbean spiny lobster tails, but I'm sure Maine lobster tails would work fine.

4 Previously frozen Caribbean/Florida lobster tails, meat removed and shells saved and cut into 1/2" chunks
1 Medium sweet onion, 1/4" dice
1-1/2 cups bell peppers, 1/4" dice. I prefer to use a combo of red, yellow and orange. but you can use all of one or whatever combo you want. No green please.
1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic
1 tsp Colemans dry mustard
1/2 tsp Cayenne (this is a minimum, adjust to your liking)
1/2 stick of unsalted butter
1/4 cup unseasoned bread crumbs or 1/2 cup panko

1/8 cup freshly grated parmesan
Splash of dry white wine, vermouth or dry sherry
salt and pepper to taste

To remove meat from shells, use a pair of cooking shears to cut the membrane on the underside of the tail, along the swimmerette line, on both sides. Do this from open end to the tail fin, then cut the membrane off at the tail fin. From the open end you should be able to slip a finger between the meat and shell to pop the meat out. Set the shells aside as you will be stuffing the diablo mixture into them.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Melt 4 Tbsp butter in skillet. Add onion and bell pepper and saute until softened. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Salt and pepper to taste. Add lobster meat, mustard and cayenne. Saute until lobster meat is opaque. Add bread crumbs and mix into lobster mixture. Add wine. The mixture should be moist, without excess liquid in the pan. If too dry add more wine. If too moist add more bread crumbs. Remove from heat. Using a spoon, stuff mixture into reserved shells and bake on a cookie sheet until golden brown on top. Sprinkle cheese evenly over top. Place back in oven until cheese melts. Serve immediately and enjoy.

Last edited:

Dogboa

Very tasty variety of shrimp from the Gulf Coast.

Not sure how far offshore you need to go before you hit around 1000 FSW. Royal Reds are a deep water species from what I've read and heard. It is claimed that they taste more like Caribbean/Florida lobster than shrimp.