Octopus

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Anybody do this at home ?

I've really become a fan, but the one place that has it on the menu is not somewhere I want to eat often ($$)...

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
We've done it at home once with a smallish one, maybe 16-18 inches, and were a bit disappointed. We followed the recipe, but .... We decided next time we went to our go to fancy place that we'd try octopus if it was on their specials menu, since it's something they don't serve all the time. And we don't go there too often as we usually drop a bundle when we do since we go all out with 4-courses and get a nice bottle of wine too.

We did buy some tiny baby octopus once at an Italian market, but when we got it home and opened it, whew, the ammonia smell about knocked us down, so that went in the garbage.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I also bought a tray of baby Octopus.... Clerk said they were pre-cooked (Came with a Dipping Sauce, even). I'd planned on shaving some into a salad, but I tried one first and it was like rubber, and tasted, well, like you said,Medtran... Ammonia-like.

Mine too, went into the garbage.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I'm a sucker for good street food . . .

Attachments

• img162.jpg
    img162.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 1,016

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Since this got reupped, we tried some grilled at a nice Greek restaurant and loved it. We have reservations tomorrow night at an upscale Italian place and octopus is 1 of the appys on their menu I am considering.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Hooray for You, Med !

When it's done right, I could eat it every week !

Here's what I get for an Appetizer at Toscana, my 'Ritzy" Italian Restaurant...

Toscana 52 Seared Octopus.jpg

It's also great in a Carpaccio Appetizer there.... Crab, Octopus and Conch ...

Toscana 52 Crab, Octopus & Conch Carpaccio.jpg

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
that carpaccio appy looks good. what's the sauce?

I have really high hopes for this place. It's close to the house and has fantastic reviews.