The Port Au Prince earthquake

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
It's looking worse and worse as info comes in. SW FL is filled with immigrants from Haiti - several thousand of them. The Publix grocery store chain here employs hundreds of Haitians and communication to the island is near nill. My friends at the grocery store and their distant families are in my prayers tonight. 888-407-4747 is the line to be used by the immigrants. I hope it's worth something.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes this is really rare in that area of the world. I lived most of my life in South Florida and earth quakes where always something from the Pacific Ocean areas of the world. We get them once in a while here in Kentucky but mostly not even noticeable here. This one is strange and probably the worse place on the planet to happen considering how poor Haiti is and sure not prepared for it.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Being that they are the poorest country in the western hemisphere, with homes/buildings that cannot withstand this, poorly staffed medical facilities... it just makes me weep thinking of the devastation.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
The TV news down here is full of the stories tonight. Our Haitian immigrants are fine, hard working people, but tonight they are scared to death of not only what may have already happened to their relatives, but of the events to come. The government is without any real power and rioting is expected.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
The TV news down here is full of the stories tonight. Our Haitian immigrants are fine, hard working people, but tonight they are scared to death of not only what may have already happened to their relatives, but of the events to come. The government is without any real power and rioting is expected.
Aren't we supposed to be going over there Buzz, with relief supplies and aide?

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
We always try to support Haiti. Getting the goods from the dock to the people can be difficult.

A friend of mine works in Haiti for one week every year with his church group. I'll be with him the day after tomorrow and will see what he has to say as one who has witnessed the goings on first hand.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
We always try to support Haiti. Getting the goods from the dock to the people can be difficult.

A friend of mine works in Haiti for one week every year with his church group. I'll be with him the day after tomorrow and will see what he has to say as one who has witnessed the goings on first hand.
That is awesome. :)

Deelady

I was viewing the devastation this morning.....extremely heartbreaking. Prayers nonstop to them. :(

suziquzie

I have 2 SIL's and a BIL on a cruise in the Carribean....... hopefully tsumamis dont occur or affect giant ships.... :(

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
This is heartbreaking to me, too. I was reading this morning that people are pulling bodies out of the rubble and then laying them in the street covered with a sheet so that others who are looking loved ones can lift the sheet to see if it is the person. I cannot even imagine how devastating this must be. And all the children who, tonight, will be without parents or shelter.

I will be adding my prayer's, too.

Deelady

One nice story from there was a female volunteer worker was burried for 10 hrs in rubble, when her husband heard about the earthquake he drove 100 miles to were she worked and then dug for over an hour in the rubble until he finally found her and rescued her! Sounds so sureal...

It's looking worse and worse as info comes in. SW FL is filled with immigrants from Haiti - several thousand of them. The Publix grocery store chain here employs hundreds of Haitians and communication to the island is near nill. My friends at the grocery store and their distant families are in my prayers tonight. 888-407-4747 is the line to be used by the immigrants. I hope it's worth something.

Thanks for posting the # Buzzard. Reps to you.

Southern California (Los Angeles County) is sending out Search & Rescue, etc.

Recently there was a 6.5 quake in No. Califorrnia (moving homes off their foundations, downed power lines etc. - around the San Andreas faultline), & felt miles away. There were concerns about Tsunamis (sp). I can well imagine how devastating a magnitude of 7 could be here. Sending good thoughts out there.

Last edited: