Greek Yogurt

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had never heard of Greek Yogurt until a couple weeks ago. A co worker was talking about how gross it was, unless you add some fruit or health cereal.

Today I see a tip where they saying it is very important to eat protein in the morning. It will help you eat less the rest of the day.

They went on to suggest scrambled eggs using 1 whole egg to two egg whites (plenty of protein without the calories); plus they recommended Greek Yogurt with fruit and nuts mixed in.

What is different about Greek Yogurt? Does it have protein that other yogurts do not. I don't care for yogurt as a rule but I now have a strawberry Greek yogurt in the fridge to try tomorrow.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i luv it! it's thicker, richer, creamier, & that. i luv liberte yogurt, too.

Carolina Cooking

OMG

I too was so late to this rodeo. I bought my first tub of GY last week. I have 2 registered dietitians I drive crazy lol. Both of them told me to eat GY. Less carbs & calorie.

I know one thing I doubt I will ever by the other stuff again.
It is soooooooo good. It is thick & creamy.

I got plain so I can cook with it. All I do is make smoothies so far. I buy frozen fruit. I take 4 or 5 strawberrie, cup or so GY, splenda, dash of milk. Ice cubes. Blend it all. Makes one huge smoothie..

:heart::heart: Greek Yogurt.

cookingirl

Greek Yogurt---:readytoeat: YUMMMMY
Breakfast every morning, with some granola mixed in..
GY has more protein, is thicker and an overall better consistency than the regular non fat versions.. and no artificial sweetneres...
IT is sooo good! My entire department is hooked on it--
we love one brand in particular, maybe another..
One is Chob@@@ and the other is Fa@@...
:wink:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds GREAT, but is it really from Greece or is it the way it's made ...ie: What makes it Greek?

I usually use it to make Tzatziki sauce, as it's thicker than reg yogurt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzatziki

There might be a low-fat version out there. You could also strain reg yogurt, but that's another topic.

I've been buying Yoplait in a variety of flavors & putting it in the freezer for a frozen yogurt healthier dessert treat.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i swear by the liberte yogurt. oh, my, a layer of cream before 'ya get to the yogurt half. & the variety!~ wub/luv

cookingirl

Chobani and Fage are the best! (IMO):a1:
I started out with the fruit and now I can eat the plain. Fage, though..
it is not as runny, or as yucky tasting as the other types..I find these 2 brands are the thickest. I buy the 0% fat.. If you ever try the 2%, wow! it tastes like thickened cream...:mrgreen:
I always have at least 2, more like 6, in my refrigerator..

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This is a really interesting thread!

I will try eating it with fruit first, as cookingirl suggested!

Lee

cookingirl

QSis, Try Chobani.. maybe the blueberry, pomegranate, both 0% or try the 2% Pineapple, or strawberry banana...love them..
I use 0% .. I really like the honey vanilla or he vanilla, and I add granola to them..:bounce:
I do like the Fage non fat plain, or 0% blueberry, blueberry acai or strawbery...the 2% is honey vanilla. The topping is on the side and you can add as much want.. It is almost like dessert!:eating2:

GotGarlic

I first had Greek-style yogurt for breakfast in Turkey about 10 years ago. It had a variety of fresh fruits mixed in and was drizzled with honey and sprinkled with sliced almonds. OMG, so good. I love it. I also use it when making tzatziki.

If you can't find Greek-style yogurt in your area, buy plain, unflavored yogurt and put it in a cheesecloth-lined strainer over a bowl. Let drain for a couple of hours and you have Greek-style yogurt.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Chiobani yogurt!
The peach and vanilla are superb.
Going to try the lemon next time.
Love it!