Net Cooking Talk

Go Back   Net Cooking Talk > Cooking Talk Forums > What's Cooking Forum

Old 07-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Master Chef

Keltin is on a distinguished road
Default The Asian Market

Went to the Asian Market today. Got a 1 oz bag of Saffron flower for a whopping 1.29! I highly doubt itís the pure stigma of regular saffron, but is instead mostly ground parts of the flower. Still though, it smells just like saffron, and you canít beat that price.

The soy sauce is a huge 33 oz bottle for 3.49. Wonderful flavor. A hint of sweetness up front finished with a rich and dark saltiness that you know and love (but far deeper and more complex than Kinkoman or others of such ilk).

Old 07-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Restaurant Chef

joec is on a distinguished road
Style: Default VB Style
Default Re: The Asian Market

I've seen that saffron here also just never tried it. I buy the real thing locally though no where near that cheap. An ounce is probably closer to $100 instead of $2. As for the soy sauce again I've seen it but haven't tried it yet. I'm working my way through their soy sauces slowly but surely. I use both light and dark in my cooking so as I run out I replace with another brand until I find the ones I like best.

During creation, God promised man that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world.
Then, he went and made the world round.... He has a sense of humor
Old 07-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Master Chef

We do the same with the Soy. This is the third brand/type we've tried from there. The first was incredible, the second was rather dark and salty, and this one is very complex. I'm loving it.....but I wish I could remember the first one I bought. If only I could read those labels!

I typically don't like saffron. I tried some saffron rice a few years back and HATED it. But at this price, and knowing how much saffron typically costs, I HAD to get it at least for the picture. I figure I'll try it in a recipe soon to see if I really do hate saffron or if that was just a bad recipe.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Master Chef

Speaking of which.....anyone got some TNT Saffron recipes????
Old 07-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Restaurant Chef

joec is on a distinguished road
Style: Default VB Style

Yellow rice is nothing but white rice with saffron added which I love and buy it already that way. My favorite brand is Griggs yellow rice. The problem with most people using saffron is they add way more than they need which can then become a bit over powering similar to dill. I get the actual saffron and several strands is more than enough for a few cups of rice for example.

During creation, God promised man that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world.
Then, he went and made the world round.... He has a sense of humor
Old 07-18-2009, 01:44 AM
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec View Post
Yellow rice is nothing but white rice with saffron added which I love and buy it already that way. My favorite brand is Griggs yellow rice. The problem with most people using saffron is they add way more than they need which can then become a bit over powering similar to dill. I get the actual saffron and several strands is more than enough for a few cups of rice for example.
Thanks Joe, I'll try a simple fried rice recipe with this saffron and see what happens!