burger meat question?

Derek

Banned
I was watching Bob Flay, and he said he puts the burger patties in the fridge for 10-20 minutes right before frying, Why is that?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Frying?

Do you mean grilling?

Depending on cut, there is a bit of fat in ground beef. Allowing it to sit in the fridge for a bit congeals the fat and makes the patties hold strong so you get a firm piece of meat for your grill.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Thanks guys, I'll have to test that out when I make some sliders next time

I'm sorry, but I really must ask this silly question. Is your forehead really tattoo'd with a chile pepper, or is that another watermark on the picture to protect your rights for when you become rich & famous? Not that there's anything WRONG with tattooing your forehead with a chile pepper, I'm just curious.

Derek

Banned
I'm sorry, but I really must ask this silly question. Is your forehead really tattoo'd with a chile pepper, or is that another watermark on the picture to protect your rights for when you become rich & famous? Not that there's anything WRONG with tattooing your forehead with a chile pepper, I'm just curious.
your half way right!

Its a water mark but it also shows I'm a true chilly .

I really don't have a tattoo of a chilly on my head, However I do have tattoos all over the place.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
your half way right!

Its a water mark but it also shows I'm a true chilly .

I really don't have a tattoo of a chilly on my head, However I do have tattoos all over the place.
Thanks for the response and that's quite enough information for right now about the tattoos. My curiosity is quite satisfied, and anything more would be TMI.:tiphat:

Derek

Banned
Thanks for the response and that's quite enough information for right now about the tattoos. My curiosity is quite satisfied, and anything more would be TMI.:tiphat:
LOL no problem man, I wouldn't tell you where the rest are unless your a red head or a sexy brunet :)

:chef:

Calicolady

So....would it be best to fry them from frozen? Or would they be rocks?
I hate my pan fried burgers. They're like rubber mats. People on TV say don't overwork the chopmeat. I try not to but they still come out that way?
And they say add high fat for tender, low fat for flavor. I do that and still crap.
Quizi-okay on the grill.
What's the solution?

Locutus

1/2 cup bread crumbs and one egg per pound of meat holds them together well, IME.

No fat is best. Both for taste and cholesterol level! :tongue:

If cooking frozen burgers, cook on low heat, slowly. If defrosted, cook on low-medium heat. That way, you can get them well done without being tough or hard. :smile:

Love2"Q"

for burgers .. i use ground chuck 80-20 ..
salt pepper and garlic .. a little woowoo sauce ...
for pan frying .. make meat into balls and put into a medium hot
pan .. then press them into pattie shape ..
the only thing i change for the grill is i patty them first them
put an indention in them so the do not puff up ..

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
The less you handle the ground meat the better. I never buy mine in those rolls you see in the stores because the meat has been overworked and tough. My favorite way to cook my burgers is from a fresh chuck roast that I grind up in my food processor myself along with some kosher salt and pepper. I then form it into burgers without trying to "knead" it too much. Just enough to get it to hold together. Then I refrigerate them for about 30 minutes and then cook them on the grill or fry them in a HOT preheated SS pan so they get a nice crust and stay juicy.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I actually buy chuck and grind my own ground beef. I use pork shoulder for ground pork too. I do this so I know exactly what is in the meat and its quality.

Derek

Banned
I actually buy chuck and grind my own ground beef. I use pork shoulder for ground pork too. I do this so I know exactly what is in the meat and its quality.
What if you don't have a food processor and or a meat grinder?

Can I gind a little by little in the magic bullet?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I use a Kitchen Aid with a meat grinder attachment, to grind mine. There are other aways to do for example the Chinese use a pair of cleavers to chop meat.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
1/2 cup bread crumbs and one egg per pound of meat holds them together well, IME.

No fat is best. Both for taste and cholesterol level! :tongue:

If cooking frozen burgers, cook on low heat, slowly. If defrosted, cook on low-medium heat. That way, you can get them well done without being tough or hard. :smile:

While I agree bread crumbs and an egg will hold ground beef together..I don't believe you are working with a hamburger any longer. A burger should be nothing other than the beef and if you insist, some seasoning. I believe the juiciest burgers are 80% beef and 20% fat. Most of the fat cooks out, but the remainder is essential to keep from serving a shoe sole.

PapaJoe8

Fats,,, I know a great chef who only cooks from frozen. Why... I'm not sure! Butt... his food always tastes great!

Go Figure!(*&^%$
Joe

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
In my experiences, cooking anything from a frozen state only shrinks and toughens the meat.

Mommy

i don't know why youo'd do that but i saw a chef on tv once who said he puts crushed ice chips into his burgers for moisture. i found that odd