Chicken with Mushroom Risotto

High Cheese

Saucier
Here's a recipe I came up with for last night's dinner. I was definately using the chicken and risotto, but the method came about as I was cooking.

Serves 4

olive oil
unsalted butter
2 cups fresh shitake mushrooms, chopped (or whatever you have on-hand)
4 10 oz cans of low sodium chicken broth
about 1 1/2 cups aborio rice
4 whole chicken breasts, skin and bones removed but reserve the bones.
1 large white onion, sliced
2 tablespoons capers
1 to 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
2 tablespoons corn starch slurry
salt & fresh pepper

For the chicken stock:
Add the chicken bones and 4 cans of broth to a sauce pan. You can add aromatics like onion, celery and bay leaf if you'd like too. Cover, bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

For the risotto:
In another sauce pan over medium heat, add about 2 table spoons of oil and butter. Once the butter has melted add the mushrooms and saute for 5-6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the mushroom and reserve for later. Add the rice and toast the kernels. Strain the stock through a fine strainer, reserve 1 1/2 cups, and prepare the risotto. Finish with salt, pepper and about 1 cup of fresh grated parmesan cheese.

For the chicken:
You now have boneless skinless chicken breasts. Season with salt and pepper then lightly brown in a large fry pan over medium-high heat. Once you achieve a slight golden color on one side, flip and do the same on the other side. Do not worry about cooking all the way through at this point. Once both sides are slightly golden, remove from the pan, add a bit more oil and add the onion. Cook the onion until just translucent then add the capers and mushrooms. Continue to saute for another 1-2 minutes then deglaze with the wine. Add the reserved stock and place the chicken back in the pan. Cover and continue to cook over medium heat for another 5-7 minutes or until the chicken is done. Remove and tent the chicken, then reduce the sauce by half and add the slurry to thicken.

Cut each breast into thick slices (against the grain), plate and top with the onion/mushroom sauce.

The idea of using the bones was to make what was once a dull broth into a nice stock. Sauteing the mushrooms first infuses the oil with mushroom flavor which adds to the risotto.

PanchoHambre

Nice Jeeks... my Mushroom Risotto is similar... but I usually do it as a Vegetarian Dish w/Portabello on the side.. I like the chicken/sauce idea