Getting a New Home Computer Today!!

Shermie

Site Supporter
I contacted Acer online, and was told that to repair it was about $200. They didn't mention about the usb ports being on the motherboard.

But if they are, and they tell me that the whole motherboard has to be replaced, then I'll just buy another laptop computer. That one is still at home.

The other one needs the headphone jack replaced. A friend of mine who has been servicing them is taking care of that one. I'll see how it all pans out.

Embryodad

My new computer is now home, set up and running!!

No more constant on-going aggravating problems as with those aggravating laptop pc's!!!

I love that it has a much larger monitor and many more features than with the laptops!!! Now, I'm going to work on getting a new laptop for use when traveling only!!!

Ha Ha Ha ....Sherman, I'm so glad you got that NEW computer on line and running....

I seriously didn't see this thread until now, and I read the part LOL where you said you got it, but didn't want to hook it up and run it till later. I laughed my tail off.......

Thinking that...when I was a kid, if I got a New Cap Gun or actually any toy, I would have to hahah sleep with it first before I would use it and get it dirty or munged up! hahahahaha...:laugh:

I could remember as a kid....those you know..gum ball machines; and I would cash in empty soda bottles; or make money shoveling coal etc.
I'll never forget how we kids tried and tried for this little miniature cigarette lighter. It was all fancy and had stars or stripes, and we tried and tried.....as much as even shaking the machine to get it near the shute so it would drop.

Well Low and behold...My brother came home screaming...I got it ...I got it...The lighter...
We knew it was something that Mom would frown on letting us have, but we filled it with a thimble full of fluid from dads tobacco stand.

We took it to bed, and we knew it was a danger to strike it in the house......but what the heck....one strike wouldn't hurt.
SOoooo We tried and tried and the darn thing (all 2 cents worth ) would not light..
Mom came in the room to check on us while we were asleep...and just then...holy heack broke loose. There was her broom flying after us, and bro was under the bed crying whilst she screamed...what did I tell you about lighters...and you kids have it in bed??? That's it...

She I guess smellet the flint and the fluid that was dripping out of that cheap thing we wasted our money on.

But see,..... we got something like that, and just had to sleep with it; because it was like a treasure to us. LOL

So it just struck me funny when I saw what you said about setting it up later.

The only thing I sleep with in bed........NOW...... is a Hoagie or a bag of pretzels or chips. LOL :biggrin:

Shermie

Site Supporter
After evaluating Windows 8 for a few days, I discovered that I don't like it at all!! Programs and apps just wouldn't open!!!

I had to do a complete recovery of the computer by formatting the hard drive to get rid of Win 8, and happily reload the factory-installed Windows 7.

Windows 8 is a piece of crap!!!!!

Every other operating system by Windows has been a piece of crap!! It has happened with Millenium, Vista and now Windows 8!! Like people were saying, Windows 8 is way too blasted confusing!!!

Kylie1969

My husband has just bought and installed Windows 8 and he is loving it

I must admit it does look good and has a few new features and nifty things

Sherrie, maybe something went wrong with the installation?

My hubby bought a new SSD drive specifically for Windows 8 so it was all clean and fresh

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i've seen rather negative reviews of that. thus reject the offers fer windows8.

Kylie1969

Yes, there have been some negative reviews, but it is sometimes when things are new this happens..I think people need to give it a go :)

If people ignore Metro, they may like it more

It was really designed for both tablets and desktops

Shermie

Site Supporter
It is sad now, because all new computers now have that crappy software!!

I think that they rushed it out on the market too quickly and didn't study it long enough!

Microsoft has a very bad habit of doing that. If they want their Windows software to be successful, then they need to spend as much time as needed to allow a complete thhorough testing of their products.

Embryodad

It's just like I stupidly clicked on the offer to go from using IE8 to IE9 browser

It messed up my computer so badly...I could not even find the file to un-install it.

I went on for months....asking on microsoft forums etc. etc. and finally it was fixed by a windows update. I was not the only one that was affected either. Grrrrrrr!!!

I heard..somewhere?? That CHINA is working on a foolproof Operating System that will blow Microsoft and Apple out of the water...

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's just like I stupidly clicked on the offer to go from using IE8 to IE9 browser

It messed up my computer so badly...I could not even find the file to un-install it.

I went on for months....asking on microsoft forums etc. etc. and finally it was fixed by a windows update. I was not the only one that was affected either. Grrrrrrr!!!

I heard..somewhere?? That CHINA is working on a foolproof Operating System that will blow Microsoft and Apple out of the water...

UNIX already does that.

As for Vista and Windows 7, both of those have been fine for me. Each was an improvement over XP. I hate the way microsoft changes where the wigets are that do a specific task but overall most new releases turn out to be a good thing once the bugs are worked out. I rarely get on the bleeding edge. I let the new stuff get all the issues worked out then I'll give it a shot. No doubt, Microsoft has often used their customers as their beta testers. I simply don't have the time or desire for that.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>I could not even find the file to un-install it.
Control Panel
Windows Updates
(history)
Uninstall

in theory one can "roll back" updates.
it's a theory only; it's been known to not work so well.
which is why I personally abandoned IE - and, I'm not the first in line to "update" my browser - let them other dummies test out the theory . . .

>>CHINA is working on a foolproof Operating System
indeed. but at the moment it is all smoke & mirrors. that aside, would love to see it.

MS Windows - in all its variants - is, to its detriment, the predominant OS. Apple isn't all that far behind, anymore. virtually every "important" Windows file, residing in its default location, is an 'open book' to malware. installing / keeping MS software in a "non-default" location is seriously effective anti-hack/anti-malware solution.

as the 'leader' Windows is the target of malware / etc - and sad to say, Apple is catching up on that account. once upon a time the Apple OS was so minor a player it didn't even rate the efforts of the malware cretins. once, but no longer true.

Unix flavors are very robust and popular for servers, not quite so popular for individual PC's - regardless, if /when it does gain a major share, the malware nutcases will attack it as well.

in the end, it's incredibly simple. in order to "update" / "improve" anything, at some point the malware twits need to trick the user - with authorized account credentials - into a mouse click. and "fooling (authorized) users seems not to be an especially difficult task.

the solution is quite obvious: create a secure operating system that - once installed - is totally idiot proof and never needs updating. neat idea, not likely to happen anytime too soon.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'm NEVER hgoing to jump to something like that so quickly!!

The other man's grass is always greener!!!

Embryodad

I guess I super clicked when the windows pop up came up and said IE9..... change now for faster / better / easier / yadda yadda yadda.. and I bit.

Little did I know it was the Trial version of IE9

Well... I got used to it, and after 3 months...I get a notice of the COMPLETE version is now ready for download.

I figured..$h**...I better do it; so this way I will be finally downloading the browser that had already been de-bugged.

It would not install...I tried all their fix kits and their
KB- 835623425392675438 operation readiness bull crap, and still it would not install.

after 2 months...finally..overnight....updates finally installed it all by its little ole self. Well Hallaluiah..... !!!!! Finally

The thing was, I couldn't go back to original previous IE8 because nowhere, was the IE9 update to be found. I wasn't the only one either. I went on the forum Microsoft etc. and there were tons of people that could not find the file. Maybe because it was a trial version???

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I suspect we've all "super" clicked at one time or another, without fully reading what it is all about and later find out it was a major OPPS moment. :yum: We get so used to clicking the stew-pid pop ups that we click just to get rid of them but sometimes they have a gotcha. I hate that. We just want to get to whatever we were trying to get done and not mess with pesky pop ups.
I do use pop up blocker but still, some apps know how to get around that.

We all should have more than one browser ready to go on our computers.
Firefox is my go to browser. It is by Mozilla, no non profit organization run out of a new England college (can't remember which one).
IE works, but I rarely upgrade it unless it is not doing something I need it to do.
Opera works okay also.
I am not a fan of google Chrome only because, much like facebook, they keep a lot of your browsing history and sell it or use it to bring you pertinent pop up or banner ads. All browser companies might be doing more of this now as I searched for something while on firefox and now most of the pop up ads by google on my forums show that item, over and over again. Arggg. Drives me crazy.

Shermie

Site Supporter
That's true, Doc!!

Some of those blasted pesky pop-up ads just seem to skirt their way around whatever defenses that you have set up for your internet browsing!!

And when you want to see a video, not only do you also get those aggravating ads first, but the volume is so friggen loud that it friggen startles you right out of your chair!!!!!

Last edited:

Embryodad

I suspect we've all "super" clicked at one time or another, without fully reading what it is all about and later find out it was a major OPPS moment. :yum: We get so used to clicking the stew-pid pop ups that we click just to get rid of them but sometimes they have a gotcha. I hate that. We just want to get to whatever we were trying to get done and not mess with pesky pop ups.
I do use pop up blocker but still, some apps know how to get around that.

We all should have more than one browser ready to go on our computers.
Firefox is my go to browser. It is by Mozilla, no non profit organization run out of a new England college (can't remember which one).
IE works, but I rarely upgrade it unless it is not doing something I need it to do.
Opera works okay also.
I am not a fan of google Chrome only because, much like facebook, they keep a lot of your browsing history and sell it or use it to bring you pertinent pop up or banner ads. All browser companies might be doing more of this now as I searched for something while on firefox and now most of the pop up ads by google on my forums show that item, over and over again. Arggg. Drives me crazy.

Usually DW's computer is loaded with open stuff. She could go to sleep at night, and I check her laptop, and she's got like 13 to the most I counted as 17 different sites open.

Plus I tell her...close the last one first, but she doesn't. She will close the middle and jump all over the open items and closes them at random.

That's why I clean out and do a disc check every two days or sooner on hers. LOL...

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Doc, do you use any of the Mozilla add-ons? I run a few and now get virtually no popup windows. The Netflix ones used to drive me nuts when reading newspapers online. The addons took care of them.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 97

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I do not run any of those. I disabled Java with no ill effects. The top two I'll need to add. :thumb: :tiphat: Thanks.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Sorry, guys, but I just couldn't use or keep up with all of those "bells & whistles.

Even though my new computer is blazingly fast and it has lots of bells & whistles, I only use what my dear friend recommends for it.

I love that it has the built-in memory card reader!! The whole bundle package makes life so much easier, and fun to use!!! I DID however, get a new speaker system for it, to greatly enhance the sound quality from it. Called Gigaware, these spesakers are excellent with rhe 2 desktop spears and the subwoofer!! Also, it has a separate volume and bass control as well as a headphone jack!!

And it IS true - the less complications there are, it makes my life that much easier. We've learned over the years from a dearly departed long-time friend of ours about computer knowllege and use. He worked for Fidelit instruments as their computer wiz kid.

Last edited: