Do you remember these?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Back in the 1960's Swanson had good TV dinners. Mom was a single mom working 2 jobs. These meals were easy on hectic days.

I loved the large variety of entrees, vegetables, potatoes, desserts and you got soup!

swansons-1.jpg

swansons-2.jpg

swansons-3.jpg

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I remember them being advertised, but I don't believe I ever had one.

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
We never had those. My dad would not eat anything like that. He wouldn't even eat casseroles. My mother was cooking for a family of 7, so they were much pricier that just cooking something from scratch.

When I finally moved out on my own, I did try some. I never thought they were very good.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
The meat loaf was my go-to favorite.........

When the woman who was to become my first wife invited me to dinner for the first time, her idea of cooking me dinner was a Turkey Swanson TV Dinner...... she burned it ! Later that evening, she accidentally spilled a cup of hot tea in my lap ........... Lordy, I should have gotten the message........ Woman gave me four of the happiest years of my life...... unfortunately , we were married for seven .............:bonk::bonk::bonk:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Woman gave me four of the happiest years of my life...... unfortunately , we were married for seven .............

Been there, done that :mrgreen:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I like Marie Callanders. They come out perfect in the microwave.

:thumb:

Marie Callanders are my favorite! The problem is that my local grocery stores freezer case is at the far back of the store and most days I can’t walk that far :(. The vegetables, fruit, milk and bread are close to the front so they’re easy to get to.

Schwans stuff is good and they deliver. The delivery guy brings my order in and sets it in the kitchen. He’s been with the company 26 years. Back then he delivered to my Mom, then to my brother when he moved here after Mom was gone, and now to me since I moved back after my brother passed last year.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Marie chicken pot pie for dinner tonight. 2 for $5.00 on sale.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Jim, two questions: 1) can you get Marie Callendar products through your store's delivery service? 2) does your store have the battery-powered seated carts for handicapped people?

Lee

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Jim, two questions: 1) can you get Marie Callendar products through your store's delivery service? 2) does your store have the battery-powered seated carts for handicapped people?

Lee

No and sometimes. Only one and its in use often when I go :( Even when I’ve used it getting up and down to reach things just wears me out.

If I go to the City couple of grocery stores have curbside pickup by appointment. Call your order in and they give you a day and time window to pick up your order. Just a long drive and they never have everything.

On a good day it hurts just to move around. On a bad day I just stay in the recliner and read.

I’m not very mobile. Inner ear is messed up so no sense of balance. Circulation problems in one leg causing weakness and constant pain, venous ulcers and at times venous infections. Back problems too :(

Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I considered getting Schwans again, but they are waaaaay too expensive.
Besides,once you start buying from them, they always come knockin.
Lol

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
No and sometimes. Only one and its in use often when I go :( Even when I’ve used it getting up and down to reach things just wears me out.

If I go to the City couple of grocery stores have curbside pickup by appointment. Call your order in and they give you a day and time window to pick up your order. Just a long drive and they never have everything.

On a good day it hurts just to move around. On a bad day I just stay in the recliner and read.

I’m not very mobile. Inner ear is messed up so no sense of balance. Circulation problems in one leg causing weakness and constant pain, venous ulcers and at times venous infections. Back problems too :(

Geez, Jim, I'm so sorry that you are going through all this! Makes me appreciate all the more what you do for NCT!

Lee

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Cobwebs cleared away to extract the following information.

It was Kips Big Boy in Texas. I only remember one in Dallas maybe on Mockingbird Lane? In Houston on Westheimer and I think there was one on the freeway close to Hobby Airport. I think they all were closed by the 1980’s.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Now that I’ve thought about it seems like there was another Dallas Kips on Lemmon Ave close to Love Field.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
In New Jersey it was Bob's Big Boy. Not many left. I loved their onion rings.

bobs-logo-1.jpg

bobs-roy-2.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I believe all the Big Boy restaurants in Ohio are Frisch's.
I did eat at one years ago in California that was a Bob's.
Indiana's are Azar's?
I'd have to Google to be sure.