Count down to 2013 Turkey Day!!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
USA - T- 13 Days!

What will be on your table (whether it be your table or the table you will be visiting)?

2013 Thanksgiving Menu

Appetizers/Soup
Stuffed Mushrooms
Pigs in blankets or Green olive poppers

Entrée
Roasted Turkey
Stuffing
Easy candied Yams (first time run of LuckyT's recipe )
Broccoli, Cauliflower & Carrots
Brussels sprouts
Sautéed Mushrooms
Mashed potatoes
Turkey Gravy
Cranberry/Tangerine Relish
Cranberry sauce

Dessert
Apple pie
Pumpkin pie
Homemade Whipped cream

Beverages
Assorted soda
Sparkling cranberry apple cider
Coffee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
As usual, LS, you have an impressive menu!

How many people will be at your table this year?

It will be my Dad and my friend/ neighbor, Kathy, for dinner this year. Just the traditional:

- not sure about appetizers yet; we used to be elaborate, but we don't have the appetites we used to, so will be looking at lighter fare this year

- stuffed turkey (sausage stuffing)
- garlic-mashed potatoes and gravy
- green bean casserole
- maybe some mashed or roasted cubed turnip (rutabaga)
- celery and olives (natch)
- canned cranberry jelly

- Indian pudding and vanilla ice cream for dessert

Lee

LADawg

Down here in the Deep South we, at least most of the folks I know, don’t have what ya’ll are calling stuffing. We have cornbread dressing, and man is it good! Here is the recipe that we use. My wife came up with this recipe after many, many long distance telephone calls to my Mother and Thanksgiving visits with my Mother and Daddy. You see, my Mother had very, very few recipes that were written down. She just cooked and it always turned out GOOD! Well, anyway, most of the time.
Don’t be afraid of the amount of Chicken Broth used. The Dressing needs to be very moist.

HOYTE’S CORNBREAD DRESSING
This recipe is made in three steps. Each step will list the ingredients and instruction for that step.
Step one: Making the Broth
3 Pounds Chicken Parts, backs, wing tips, necks and maybe a couple of thighs
7 Cups Water
1 Carrot, large and sliced into 6 or 8 pieces
1 Onion, small and coarsely chopped
2 Celery Ribs, coarsely chopped
6 Whole Peppercorns or 1/2 Teaspoon fresh ground Black Pepper
1 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
2 Bay Leaves
Place all ingredients in a large stock pot. Bring the pot to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 2 hours.
Remover from heat and allow the broth to cool for 30 minutes. Strain the broth and place in a covered bowl or dish. Place in the refrigerator over night for the fat to solidify. Skim the solidify fat from the broth before using it in making the dressing (step 3).
Note: One Cup of the skim Broth should be reserved to make gravy.
Step Two: Making the Cornbread (Best made in a Cast Iron skillet)
1/4 Cup Solid Shorting
2 Cups Self Rising Cornmeal Mix
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 1/2 Cups Buttermilk
3 Eggs
Place the Shorting in the skillet or baking pan, place in the oven. Turn oven on and set the temperature to 450° . While the Shorting is melting and the oven is getting up to temperature, mix Cornmeal Mix and Baking Soda in a heat resistant bowl. Add Buttermilk to a separate bowl. Add the Eggs and beat to mix well. Just as the shorting has melted and the oven has reached 450° , pour the Buttermilk/Egg mixture into the Cornmeal. Stir to mix well. Remove melted Shorting from the oven. Pour the hot melted Shorting into the Cornmeal/Buttermilk mixture. Stir to mix well. Sprinkle a little dry cornmeal into the skillet or baking dish, add the Cornmeal/Buttermilk/ Shorting mixture. Place in the hot oven (450° ) and bake for 20 minutes. Cornbread should be a golden brown. Remove from oven and turn on to a cooling rack. The cornbread should cool for at least 30 minutes before going to step 3.
Important Note: Take special note that there is No Sugar used in making the cornbread. If some pre-made cornmeal mix is used to make the cornbread it will be sweet and the dressing will not be any good.

Step Three: Making the Dressing
3 1/4 Cups Chicken Broth, from Step One and with fat removed
6 Tablespoons Onion, finely chopped
3 Tablespoons Celery, finely chopped
5 Slices White Bread, torn into dine size or smaller pieces
Cornbread from Step Two
1 1/2 Cup Water
1 Egg, raw and well beaten
2 Eggs, Hard Boiled and coarsely chopped or sliced
Salt* and fresh ground Black Pepper to taste
Place Chicken Broth, chopped Onions, and chopped Celery in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer. covered for 15 to 20 minutes. While this is simmering it’s a good time to tear the Bread Slices into small pieces. Place the pieces of Bread Slices in a very large mixing bowl or pan. The bottom half of a roasting pan is good to use. Pour the hot Chicken Broth over the Bread crumbs. Mix well. Crumble in the Cornbread, add the Water and mix well. The mixture should be very, very moist. If you think it’s not moist enough add a little more Chicken Broth or Water one Tablespoon at a time. You can always add more, but you can not take any of it out. Stir in the well beaten Egg and mix. Add the chopped or sliced Boiled Eggs and mix. Season with Salt and fresh ground Black Pepper to taste and mix.
Pour the mixture into a greased 9” X 13” baking dish. Cover with Aluminum foil and seal. Bake in a 400° oven for 20 minutes. Carefully remove the
Aluminum foil, increase the oven temperature to 450° and continue to bake for an additional 12 to 15 minutes. The dressing should begin to crust over and become a light golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 8 to 10 minutes before serving.
*Notes: Salt is used in cooking the Chicken Broth, so caution should be used in adding Salt to the dressing, but a very good dusting of Black Pepper is needed.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
"Important Note: Take special note that there is No Sugar used in making the cornbread. If some pre-made cornmeal mix is used to make the cornbread it will be sweet and the dressing will not be any good."

I agree with the "no sugar." I use Gladiola cornbread mix, and there is no sugar in it. Now to redeem myself :mrgreen:, I do cook the cornbread in a cast iron skillet.

Yeah, Peeps always has a huge spread planned :applause:
Turkey breasts are on sale, so I'm going to get two of those but probably only cook one. Cornbread dressing is a definite, but that's about as far as I know for now.

I'm going to look around at carrot cake recipes and may make carrot cake cupcakes.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thank you Lee and Cooksie.
Only the 4 of us. It really isn't a lot of food. I make a small amount of each thing (except pies - 1 of each). Plus we need meals for several days.

Shermie

Site Supporter
WOW!!

That's a lot of stuff, guys!! Happy cooking.

If I cook at all, it'll be just turkey parts, a starch and a vegetable, plus one desert. :eating2:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Just heard on the news this morning that Butterball has cut back on their turkey by about 50%!!

There will more than likely be a turkey
shortage this holiday season! :wow:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I did my cranberry/tangerine relish yesterday.

Today is usually prep day.

BUT there is a water line break somewhere in my neighborhood. Which means the water is coming out VERY slow and I don't really trust using it. The water will probably eventually be turned off for HOURS!!

All I have done is my relish.

I didn't want to be up all night but I guess I will be.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I had to make a run this morning to get the "forgotten" items :bonk:, so I can made the carrot cake cupcakes this evening. I also picked up some Sister Schubert's rolls...yum!

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Going to be just us at home and likely will make some soup and not much else. I am on restricted activity and diet till at least Monday or I have to go in the hospital. I promised the doc I would be good and just watch football.:D

CharlieD

Ones in a life time opportunity for me. Thanksgiving falls on the first day of Chanuka. The last time it happened in 1885 or something and the next time in the year 79XX. Unbeliavable.

However I am so tired, I have no energy to do anything. I bought a small turkey breast, just for the family, my parents are coming over and here is the plan:

Turkey soup of a sort, have not really decided what. Most likely it will be my take on Italian wedding soup.

Latkes, definitely potato and zucchini, maybe also apple latkes for dessert.
Turkey breast, gravy, a little bit of mashed potato, one of my daughters will not touch latkes or anything else for that matter, I will also have to make chicken schnitzel for her. I know, I know, I am a wimp.
Stuffed mushrooms. My wife will make dessert, she promised sugar cookies and chocolate cigars. Sounds yum. Oh, yeah, I will bake bread.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
thanksgiving-turkey-gif.gif

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Everyone-
We had the typical Thanksgiving menu-Turkey/Ham. Ect.
but-we have a new neighbor who moved in across the street
from us. He is a Chef and him and his wife brought over a
huge prime Rib. (this is still pretty much normal Thanksgiving menu)
But his wife stole the show. She brought over a
BLUEBERRY CHEESECAKE.
I love my new neighbors!
I will invite them to netcookin soon.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
-stuffed turkey
-'taters
-gravy
-baked macaroni/cheese
-corn
-peas
-cranberry sauce
-crescents
-appys- ham/creamcheese/dill pickle bundles; cashews; almonds; cheeses, pepperoni, etcetera
-potato salad
-pumpkin, lemon meringue, & apple pies
-beverages
-candies
-eggs
other foods, too.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
DH and I don't eat a lot and ate as usual.

Honey Suckle White Turkey
Mased Potatoes and Gravy
Green Beans and Cranberry Sauce