Red peppers are on sale! Need inspiration!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
For only 99 cents a pound!

I don't want to make relish, and I don't want to make stuffed peppers.

What are other recipes/ideas for red peppers????

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
24e715ea-e24a-4a83-9470-80f13386d06d.jpg

I don't do chili peppers, so I subbed red bell peppers. It's mighty tasty!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohpw2e5_4jA&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL0EE6EE9F291533DF[/ame]

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
we're fond of stir-fry - peppers play a role there -

slice 'em up and freeze them. I do that with my garden peppers - sliced or diced in a thin layer on a cookie sheet, into the freezer. the faster they freeze, the better.

after they've frozen, break up any 'masses' into strips and store in a ziplock style freezer bag - the freeze-in-a-thin-layer thing allows you to pull out what you need versus a single quart size frozen 'lump' of peppers.

speaking of which,,,, it's pizza tonight. dough is rising, time to pull out some peppers.....

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Cooksie, your post made my mouth water! Thank you!

Never thought of freezing them, ChowderMan! Good idea!

Lee

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Pepper Crunch Salad

2-1/2 cups ea of 3 different colored pepper, total of 7-1/2 c peppers, cut into 4 & then cut widthwise
3 Tbsp chopped dill
3 Tbsp chopped parsley

4 tsp mustard
6 Tbsp orange juice
3 Tbsp oil
4 tsp honey
2 tsp lemon juice
salt to taste (generous)

1/2 cup chopped roasted cashews
1/2 cup chopped salted roasted almonds
1/2 cup whole pine nuts, optional
1/2 cup chopped roasted pecans, optional

Slice pepper into strips. Put in bowl Add dill and parsley and mix gently. Set aside. Mix all dressing ingredients in small container. Shake well. A few hours before serving, pour over salad and toss to coat, to allow veggies to absorb the flavor of the dressing. Top with any or all of the nuts.

If peppers are fresh, this salad is still perfect a day or two later.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow! What a different and delicious idea, CM!

Excellent!

Lee

CharlieD

When red bell peppers on sale I make this, well, how should I call it, flavor enhancer for soups/meats, etc.

3 bell peppers
3 hot peppers
2 parsnip roots
1 whole garlic
1-2 t. spoons salt, works as a preservative

Wash and clean everything, if you like it hot leave the seeds in the hot pepper, I do not, put everything thru a meat grinder or food processor. Keep in preferably glass jar. I add this stuff to all my soups, stews, spaghetti. Last Sunday I picked up 10 red bell peppers on sale and 10 hot peppers and about 4-5 parsnip roots. I made a gallon of the stuff, it will last me probably thru whole winter.

BTW I love Mongolian beef. My all time favorite.

Leni

Peppers are one of the few veggies that you do not need to blanch before freezing. Clean them and slice and then into freezer baggies for winter.

Fleur peppers are drying nicely. Will ship then to you before much longer. Anyone else want some?