Cilantro: Love it or loathe it?

Do you love or hate cilantro?

• Total voters

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I just read an article that talk about a study finding that like or dislike of cilantro may be genetic. It prompted me to wonder how many of our members love or hate cilantro.

Cilantro article

Personally, I used to hate it, but it grew on me and now I like it, so I'm not so sure about the genetic thing.

How about you?
If you don't like it, what is it you don't like about it?
How does it affect your treatment of the various ethnic foods that use it?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
We think it tastes like tar or something along those lines. I replace with Italian parsely

Not a big fan of cilantro, or Mexican food. Living & dining in So California, it's hard to get away from. Some chefs/cooks put it in everything. It has a very distinct flavor, & can overwhelm the dish if it's not used properly. I like Pad Thai noodle and coconut lime chicken soup, but go easy on the cilantro, please. I've tried to sub it out w/ italian flat leaf parsley, but the end result is different. If the dish calls for cilantro, I use it sparingly, but would rather pass. It really depends on the dish.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm not a fan of it but will eat it. It has a bitter taste to me but if in small amounts I don't notice it if mixed with other ingredients.

Calicolady

I agree with the soapy taste. Even the dried tastes nasty.
I delete it from every recipe.
I once bought it - years ago, thinking it was italian parsley of some sort.
Boy, did I learn it wasn' t.

I just read an article that talk about a study finding that like or dislike of cilantro may be genetic. It prompted me to wonder how many of our members love or hate cilantro.

Cilantro article

Personally, I used to hate it, but it grew on me and now I like it, so I'm not so sure about the genetic thing.

How about you?
If you don't like it, what is it you don't like about it?
How does it affect your treatment of the various ethnic foods that use it?

There have been several serious studies done re: Cilantro, & it's definitely been proven that many people have a genetic aversion to it. To them it has an unpleasant "soapy" flavor. In fact, the late great Julia Child had this aversion. Then there are folks who don't get the "soapy" taste, but simply don't care for it much; same as, for instance, folks who don't care for dill. It's not unpleasant; just not a personal preference. To the rest of the populace, Cilantro has a somewhat orangey-citrus/spicy flavor - very complementary to many Mexican & Asian dishes.

I personally love the stuff. Grow it, buy it, & use it generously. Husband can take it or leave it, so I tone Cilantro down when it's actually being used "in" a recipe rather than a garnish.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I voted for "can't stand the stuff", since it has always tasted exactly like plastic to me.

But my Colombian neighbor makes some sort of pice de gaillo with cilantro in it and I LOVE that!

So, like SilverSage, I'm trying to develop a taste for it. As of yet, it's slow going.

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I actually like coriander which is the seeds from cilantro. I use it often in some dishes.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I actually like coriander which is the seeds from cilantro. I use it often in some dishes.
I also like coriander and use the whole seeds in my pickling/corned beef spice blend. I also use a grinder spice blend with the whole seeds in it for spicing many foods.

GotGarlic

I didn't used to like it, but it's grown on me, too. I don't like tasting it by itself, but as Bobby Flay said at a cooking demo we attended, "Cilantro is meant to be combined with its friends!" :wink: It adds a nice dimension to many Mexican and Thai dishes that I really enjoy.

QuirkyCookery

I don't use it too too much, but I absolutely *love* it for pico de gallo.

If you're not familiar, it's a fresh salsa of diced tomatoes, jalapenos (or serranos, I believe?), fresh cilantro, and lime. Usually looks something like this:

images

Soooo good. And can't be done without the key ingredient of fresh cilantro. My mom and sister both enjoy cilantro.

And as for the soapy taste, I can't really recall that exact comparison, but I have definitely had bad cilantro that just didnt' taste good at all, so maybe it's a difference in variety?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I agree that it's the key ingredient to good pico. I also like it in charro beans and tortilla soup. I have to vote love it. When I tear some off, I just love that aroma.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
We're been growing our own for years and years. The unique flavor makes many old favorites something new to try. It goes with tomatoes like crazy. :)

K

Kimchee

Love the stuff! After I have stripped the leaves for a recipe, I eat the stems.
Yum!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Neither me or DW like it. We've both tried it in different dishes, and opt out now when we even smell it. I also use fresh parsley in its place.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
The last time I bought it was to make Guts' rice dish.
Very little did I use in the rice,but used it to garnish- then had the whole bunch that was left, which went to the trash can.
I did love it in the rice tho!

Leni

Love it. I don't use the stems though. I grow it year round. As CC said it's hard to get away from south of the border food here in SoCal. I happen to love it and make it frequently. It's very flavorful and for the most part very healthy.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I think it supports some recipes tremendously but I have to be careful because sometimes it tastes like soap :yuk:

abi_csi

I love coriander and try to have a constant supply of it at home. I think because I eat lots of asian food and they go so well together