Vera's Caesar Salad Recipe

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
This makes enough salad for 4 people as a first course, or two as a meal.

1 large head romaine (not hearts, not enough leafy green on them)
2 garlic cloves
2 anchovy fillets
1 lemon
1/4 c olive oil
1/3 c freshly grated cheese
1T worcesteshire
1/2 T mustard
Freshly cracked black pepper
Croutons

Chop and clean the lettuce. Put into large salad bowl.

Mince the garlic and anchovies together. Place in small bowl. Pour olive oil over the blend. Add the worcesteshire and mustard. Blend well. Let sit for 5 minutes. Pour over lettuce leaves. Crack an egg into the same bowl and whisk till frothy. Pour over lettuce leaves. Juice entire lemon over lettuce leaves. Toss gently. Add grated cheese and black pepper to taste. Add croutons. Toss again. Plate and top with additional cheese and freshly ground pepper
August2010082.jpg

I omitted the croutons tonight....pasta, meatballs, semolina bread and cupcakes is damage enough.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I absolutely ADORE Caesar salad, and this one is making my mouth water like crazy!

Lee

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
The flavours are wonderful together...and the lemon lightens drastically. It never feels heavy on the fork or in your mouth.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made this tonight, but just used 1/2 a lemon.

And made garlic croutons out of some stale hot dog buns.

Delicious, VB! :wub:

Lee

Attachments

• Vera's Caesar Salad.JPG
    Vera's Caesar Salad.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 175

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I adapted this one from The Silver Palate good times cookbook. I just omitted the 2 hardboiled eggs, and I made croutons from a couple of white sub rolls, instead of pumpernickel bread.

Similar to Vera's, though less lemon, more EVOO, minus the Worcestershire and mustard.

Delicious!

Lee

Caesar Salad for 2

1/2 head Romaine lettuce (use a whole head for 4 people)
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 T. fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
2 anchovy filets, minced
1/2 cup freshly grated Parm. cheese
croutons

Whisk the dressing ingredients and keep in fridge for an hour or so. Pour into the bottom of a large salad bowl. Discard garlic. Add the lettuce and toss. Add the cheese and toss again. Season with sat if desired, and freshly ground pepper.

Serve with topped with croutons.

Attachments

• Caesar salad.JPG
    Caesar salad.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 157

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I adapted this one from The Silver Palate good times cookbook. I just omitted the 2 hardboiled eggs, and I made croutons from a couple of white sub rolls, instead of pumpernickel bread.

Similar to Vera's, though less lemon, more EVOO, minus the Worcestershire and mustard.

Delicious!

Lee

Caesar Salad for 2

1/2 head Romaine lettuce (use a whole head for 4 people)
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 T. fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
2 anchovy filets, minced
1/2 cup freshly grated Parm. cheese
croutons

Whisk the dressing ingredients and keep in fridge for an hour or so. Pour into the bottom of a large salad bowl. Discard garlic. Add the lettuce and toss. Add the cheese and toss again. Season with sat if desired, and freshly ground pepper.

Serve with topped with croutons.

That's basically how I make mine. No Worcestershire sauce and no croutons usually.

Johnny West

For tonight's dinner I put together The Joy of Cooking caesar salad dressing and have the romaine on ice water to crisp up. I have to have at least 6 anchovies on my salad. :wub:

Johnny West

Yes, I love anchovies, and on pizza, too. :mrgreen:

Here's tonight's salad and have enough left over for tomorrow. It gets wilty but I don't mind.

Attachments

• ########C Salad.JPG
    ########C Salad.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 118

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Mine is pretty close to Vera's, except I do use a raw egg and the lemon juice in the dressing itself and sometimes a pinch or 2 of sugar if the lemon juice is particularly bitter, sort of rounds out the flavors. We also shave our cheese with a vege peeler, more of a parm punch. We like to marinate chicken in lemon juice, a bit of W. sauce, garlic, S and P, and some oil, grill, then slice and put on top. One of our go-to meals that we make every so often. I always make our croutons too, though I do try to use dark and light breads.

Johnny West

For tonight's dinner I put together The Joy of Cooking caesar salad dressing and have the romaine on ice water to crisp up. I have to have at least 6 anchovies on my salad. :wub:

I use Irma Rombauer's original recipe from cookbook we got for wedding present in 1972.

Fresh grated parmesan is always best as is the raw egg. I elected not to do it since it was only me eating it last night. I cut back on salt and add extra WOR.

1/2 Cup extra virgin olive oil
3 Cloves garlic minced
1 Whole Egg Slightly cooked
1 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Fresh Ground
5 Filets Anchovy finely chopped
1/4 Teaspoon Coleman's Dry Mustard
3 Tablespoons Vinegar Red Wine
3 Drops Worcestershire Sauce
1 Whole Lemon Juiced and strained
3 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese Freshly Grated

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I also use raw egg (or coddled if I have time) and lemon juice.