In case of Emergency it would be good to

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
In case of Emergency it would be good to know how to:

identify edible plants

food storage "in case of emergency"

Does anyone have hints on identifying edible plants or on how food should be stored for 'in case of emergency' situations?

Mith

Doc, I picked up a 'survival handbook' a while back. Made for an interesting read, and identified many edible plants.
I doubt you'd find enough to sustain yourself without alot of work, but you'll probably find some nice fruits for free.
Once you know what you can eat you might even get a taste for it, I dont have to walk far to find something I fancy eating. About this time of year even the stinging nettles are quite sweet (but pick them above dog pee height....)......

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome aboard Mith!

glad you found us!

Good advice on the nettles :yum:

Mith

Jim, I just had to ask my egg question, but couldnt resist...

I got told about the nettle height, didnt want to try it myself ;)

Cheers

Nica

Doc, I picked up a 'survival handbook' a while back. Made for an interesting read, and identified many edible plants.
I doubt you'd find enough to sustain yourself without alot of work, but you'll probably find some nice fruits for free.
Once you know what you can eat you might even get a taste for it, I dont have to walk far to find something I fancy eating. About this time of year even the stinging nettles are quite sweet (but pick them above dog pee height....)......
Hey Mith........welcome. I was going back and reading older posts and noticed you had commented on this thread. Sorry I missed you earlier.....glad your here. If you cook as well as you invent and build I'm coming over for a meal!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good bump Nica. I hope we get Mith to share a recipe or two.
We could call it cooking British style. :D

Nica

Good bump Nica. I hope we get Mith to share a recipe or two.
We could call it cooking British style. :D

Hey Doc.....I'm for that. :thumb: Maybe you, Jim S. and I could pitch in and get him over here! Nothing says we have to let him go back!
icon10.gif

He's a keeper...don't matter if he's welding or cookin!

Last edited:

Mith

Nica, thanks for the welcome (I must visit this site more often, I usually only drop by when I'm having trouble thinking of something interesting for dinner)
Yup, I cook too, but not nearly as well as I weld :D
I'll admit that I have more disasters in the kitchen than I do success, you should have seen my first attempt at making custard the other week. More lump than liquid :yum:

Locutus

Pinto beans and corn. they ckeep forever, and in combination, give you a com;lete cprotein, as well as carbs. :tongue:

Black beans and rice. Same as above. :thumb:

Locutus

This weekend, I went to a surplus store in Idaho falls and came home with 2 cases of MREs. :smile:

YUM! :chef:

Locutus

In case of emergency

It would be good to have a bunch of friends and relatives who are devout Mormons! :D:D:D:D:D