Chicken Marsala

AllenOK

I did this as a menu special last week. I thought I had a pic of it, but sadly, no.

Preheat the broiler/oven and a saute pan. Take a boneless, skinless, chicken breast. Pat dry. Dust in seasoned flour. Add about a tablespoon of clarified butter to the pan. Brown the presentation side (skin side) of the chicken breast for a couple of minutes. Flip, put the pan in the oven/broiler to finish cooking.

Preheat another saute pan. Add a tablespoon or so of clarified butter. Swirl to coat the pan. Add some julienned shallots, a pinch of Italian Seasoning mix. Saute over medium heat until the shallots are limp. Carefully deglaze/flambe the pan with 2 T of Marsala Wine. Add about 1/4 c of heavy cream. Bring to a boil and reduce slightly.

When the chicken is done, plate the chicken, and spoon/ladle/pour the sauce over top. Garnish and enjoy!

NOTE: If I was making this at home, I'd nix the flour. Season the chicken, brown, and when the chicken is done, remove the chicken from the pan, then use the same pan to make the sauce. I didn't do this at work, as the first two orders, the flour that came off the chicken in the pan burned. After the first couple of orders, I ended up making about a quart of sauce, and held that hot, so that all I have to do is saute the chicken, plate, and ladle an oz or so of sauce over it. Speed and consistency are everything in a restaurant.

BTW, I was told over the weekend that this dish will be going onto are "new" version of the special menu. The "new" special menu will be a month-long affair, in addition to our "core" menu.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Allen, this sounds so much easier than the recipe I have used. Mine called for pounding the breast thin, browning it, and then letting it simmer in the marsala sauce for about 10 minutes as the sauce reduced. This sounds much better and easier since it's hard to get enough chicken for 8 or 9 people into one big saute pan. Thanks!!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congratulations, Allen! Sounds as if you are really making a significant contribution at your work! Nice to have a boss that appreciates your talents!

But, Allen .... no mushrooms????

FM, I make mine the way you do yours, but since I'm only cooking for two, it's one of my go-to easy dishes (that tastes as if you slaved over it for hours :chef:).

Lee

Calicolady

Chicken/Veal Marsala is one of my favs and easy and fast
I do thin/pound the meat to even out pieces. I don't broil my pieces though. I do it all in a pan, with shrooms.
I do chicken first, remove, then do the shrooms and sauce in that pan.
Very tasty.
I haven't done them in awhile. Thanks for the reminder.

High Cheese

Saucier
Can you, or somebody, please explain what this experssion means.

He didn't remember if he took a picture of the dish or not, when he checked he realized he never took one.

Chicken Marsala.

The first thing I learned making a good marsala is to use a boat load of marsala wine.

I used to make mine with whole breasts but prefer to pound them out now. I dust with flour and partially fry in oil. I remove the chicken and add the shallot, mushroom then deglaze with marsala and chicken stock. Finally, I return the chicken back to the pan, give a little shake to bury the chicken in the sauce and shrooms to finish cooking. The flour in the begining is the thickener for the sauce.

Edit: I just remembered, I also did them stuffed with cheese and spinach then covered in a marsala and mushroom gravy.

AllenOK

*Slaps forehead!

D'oh!

I completely forgot about the mushrooms. I used a mix of sliced button and slice shiitakes.

AllenOK

To bad fresh porcinis/cepes are hard to get on this continent. I be that flavor would be amazing! I might have to get some dried and reconstitute.