Paula Red Apples

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I know some of you have mentioned these, but since I really only like Macintosh apples, I didn't pay close attention.

However, Macs aren't out yet and, since the supermarket had a good price on small totes of apples, I chose a variety that LOOKED the most like a Mac: Paula Red apples.

They are a natural mutation of the Macintosh (thanks again, Google!) that are harvested earlier.

Very good apple! Sweet, juicy, maybe even a little citrusy.

They will do nicely until my Macs are out.

Lee

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Just caught the typo - thanks, Peep, I fixed it.

Lee

Attachments

• Paula Red apples.JPG
    Paula Red apples.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 1,102

Johnny West

I have a story to tell about getting apples in New Hampshire.

I'll shave it for tomorrow.

Out here in the NW I never see Macintosh apples. My favorite are Fireside from MN and WI and are not available either.

Johnny West

I just ate a Paula Red and it was quite good - tart and refreshing, especially after eating leftover wings and ribs. I bet they would be fabulous sliced and with some Cabot cheddar cheese.

Saliha

I just today made a pie using these Paula Red apples. It was tasty (almost eaten already, few hours after the baking).

Johnny West

That was a wonderful looking pie. I showed the picture to my son and he said "Very nice!" He's a chef and makes all his own pies and desserts.

Johnny West

I've been drying veg and fruit and bet that would work. I've read all the Louie l'Amour books and he was always taking about a dried apple pie. I want to make one of those.