1 Large or 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" dice
8 strips of bacon, coarsely chopped
1 medium onion, sliced
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
6 eggs
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large microwave-safe bowl, microwave potato pieces in 1 cup salted water, tightly covered, on High for 8 mins. Stir and drain.

2. Next in a large skillet, fry bacon and onion over medium-high heat, stirring, until bacon bits are browned but not yet crisp and onion is softened, about 5 mins.

3. Drain off most of fat. Add drained potatoes. Reduce heat to medium and cook 5 mins. longer. Spoon into a buttered 9" pie plate. Top with Cheddar cheese.

4. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, cream, salt, and pepper until blended. Pour over cheese. Set pan on a baking sheet and place in oven.

5. Bake 45-60 mins or until a knife inserted halfway between the edge and center comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes on a wire rack before cutting into wedges.

Barb

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I am not familiar with the use of potatoes in this, but since crusts are a problem for me this sounds very promising!
Thank you!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mmmm - MMM! Those wedges would be good to take for lunches to reheat in the microwave!

Lee

Ralphanator

It's also called a Frittata!
Ingredients

• 8 extra-large eggs
  • 1 cup milk or 1/2 n 1/2
  • 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 4 small red potatoes, diced
  • 1 cup diced smoked ham or Canadian bacon
  • 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, for finishing top
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 bunch chives, chopped
Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, Gruyere cheese, salt, and pepper until foamy. Melt butter in a cast iron pan over medium heat. Add the onion and potatoes and cook thoroughly. Pour the egg mixture over the top. Pull the edges away from the sides of the pan with a spatula so the eggs flow to the bottom of the pan. When the frittata is half set, add the ham.
Transfer the pan to the heated oven. Bake for 10 minutes until puffed and golden. Shower with grated Parmesan and serve garnished with sour cream and chives.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I've got to try this, thanks! That is, if I can ever get everyone off me to make your Baked Potato Casserole again! :lol:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
It's also called a Frittata!
Ingredients

• 8 extra-large eggs
  • 1 cup milk or 1/2 n 1/2
  • 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 4 small red potatoes, diced
  • 1 cup diced smoked ham or Canadian bacon
  • 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, for finishing top
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 bunch chives, chopped
Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, Gruyere cheese, salt, and pepper until foamy. Melt butter in a cast iron pan over medium heat. Add the onion and potatoes and cook thoroughly. Pour the egg mixture over the top. Pull the edges away from the sides of the pan with a spatula so the eggs flow to the bottom of the pan. When the frittata is half set, add the ham.
Transfer the pan to the heated oven. Bake for 10 minutes until puffed and golden. Shower with grated Parmesan and serve garnished with sour cream and chives.

Make sure to post this in its own thread, if you haven't already, so you can get credit on the recipe contest!!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh yum, yum, yum. That sounds so good. We have some friends who are very weight-conscious. Very nice people (and very thin, almost cadaverous), but constantly yapping about "low fat" this and "low-calore" that...you all know the type. We were invited to their house for dinner one night and she served no-crust quiche made with skim milk and low fat cheese...yuk. As she served it, she said "And because there's no crust, no one is going to get fat!" I said, "Oops - one of us already is! Bring on the crust..." We had alfalfa popsicles for dessert. Really.