I am in a quandry - Looking for opinions.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
A couple months ago, I bought a Google Nexus 7. I loved it. My reasoning was that it would be easier to read than my handheld as I work and around the house. It is WiFi only and affordable.

Anyway, WiFi was not as available as I thought it might be. and I returned it. I have a laptop at home and used it during the post Sandy time when I had no Internet at home. It was OK just big to carry around.

I find myself craving the Nexus for around the house and in the wood shop. I am wondering about the WiFi hotspot feature of my Droid Phone. Since it is always with me anyway, it could get me on the Internet with the Nexus. I just do not know if there is a cost involved in all of that.

I am unwiling to spend what an iPad or other tablet with Internet costs.

Does anyone have experience with the mobile hot spots?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have a mobile hotspot on my iPhone. I use it when I'm on the houseboat or as a backup to my home cable network. Works fine. It also works with my Kindle fire so I'm sure it would also work with a Nexus, if you bought another one.

If your droid is already a hotspot there should be no additional charges.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
my son has an iPhone; got stuck without internet access for a while; used the phone as a hotspot.

the cost was outrageous - on the order of $10/day.

basic lesson: the technology is there and it works - just be extremely careful about cost.....

also, check if NetZero is available in your area - it's a separate box/gadget/device - but plans start from free; $10/$20 for heavy usage; up to $50/month for a whole lotta' usage....

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, that is expensive. You son must've used a lot of bandwidth.

I pay $15 extra per month and get 2 gigs of bandwidth. That suits me just fine.

K

Kimchee

Perhaps you could get some sort of WiFi signal booster, if you are mostly
using it around the house?