How to save YOUR money!

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Save your money so you can buy something! :w00t2:

1. Just ask. When you call your phone company or your cable company, ask them what discounts they can offer. Many people don’t receive any discounts because they just don’t ask. If you know someone who gets a discount, ask for the same discount. The same thing can be done for credit cards. Call and ask for a lower APR or a longer introductory period. The worst that can happen is that they’ll say no, and much of the time, they will say yes.
  2. Know what you want. Ask for something specific. Feel free to ask for want you really want, but be reasonable. They can’t give you everything you want for free, but they can probably give you a lot more than they already are.
  3. Keep a record of any problems you’ve had. You can use these problems for leverage - ask for discounts in exchange for any inconveniences or problems you’ve had. Many businesses will apologize profusely and offer something in return.
  4. Talk to the retention or cancellation department. These departments sometimes have more power to give discounts and waive fees, and by asking for them, it shows that you’re serious.
  5. Point out better deals. If you have Comcast and SBC shows a better deal, let Comcast know and ask if they can match it! If FedEx has a cheaper rate but you usually use UPS, ask UPS how they’re going to keep you. Often, when you point out what the competition is offering, the company that you have been working with will go out of its way to give you a similar deal.
  6. Promise your loyalty. If you do a lot of business in a particular area, ask a company for a good deal. Promise your return business. “We mail X packages per week and we’d like to keep doing business with your company, but we have found better rates somewhere else. Can you beat these rates?”
  7. Get names. Getting a customer service representative’s name can help in a number of ways. If the customer service rep is not helpful, remembering the name can make sure that you never have to talk to that particular person again. If he or she is helpful, keep the name for any future questions or favors you might have.
  8. Go up the ladder. If a customer service rep doesn’t help you out, feel free to ask for his or her supervisor. This doesn’t have to be in a confrontational manner; you can ask politely for the supervisor and explain to the supervisor that you aren’t getting what you need.
  9. Explain that you don’t have the money. This won’t work for everyone, but certain professions invite sympathy. If you are a teacher, a non-profit employee, or a church employee, you might be able to pull this off. A casual, “Oh, you see, I’m a teacher in X neighborhood and I spend so much on my classroom supplies that I don’t think I have the extra money for that fee…” often gets a sympathy discount!
  10. Threaten to cancel. This can be tricky, because some people will just take your request to cancel at face value. However, many representatives will try to talk you out of canceling by offering discounts and perks.
  11. Use coupons. When you shop online check Deal Locker for coupons and those credit card bills won’t be quite as high when they come next month.