Ingredients

4 Chicken Thighs (skin on)
1/2 Cup Soy
1 Cup White Vinegar
3 Cloves Garlic (smashed)
1 Bay Leaf
Cracked Black Pepper to taste

Preparation

Place chicken thighs in a pressure cooker. Whisk together remaining ingredients and pour over chicken. Seal pressure cooker and place over high heat. When valve begins to rock, reduce heat (but allow a gentle rocking of the valve). Cook for 30 minutes once the heat has been reduced and then remove from heat to let cool. Serve with Stir-Fried Rice or egg noodles.

Chunks of Pork can be substituted for the chicken.

You could also cook this in a crock pot or a regular pot on the stove or in the oven. naturally, adjust your cooking times as a pressure cooker cooks very fast.

Deelady

I've alway wanted to try to make this dish again, one I made years ago just tasted simply of vinegar to me, knew it couldn't be right. Copied and pasted...thanks :D

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
It is a vinegary dish, but we’re vinegar nuts and like the taste. I’ve got other recipes that are heavy on the vinegar, and I love snacks like pickled eggs, pickled sausage, etc. Vinegar is good stuff! :lol:

The soy does help to cut it down though.

Deelady

Well I love it as well....today I put some on fresh cut french fries ....yum

but for the chicken it was obvious I did something wrong, because it was ALL I tasted!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Well I love it as well....today I put some on fresh cut french fries ....yum

but for the chicken it was obvious I did something wrong, because it was ALL I tasted!

Excellent, another vinegar lover!!!! :clap:

But you’re right, vinegar isn’t ALL you should taste. I hope you like this rendition of it!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I was about to say I have no pressure cooker, glad I can do it in a pot! Not a huge vinegar fan here, can I just cut that in half or something?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I was about to say I have no pressure cooker, glad I can do it in a pot! Not a huge vinegar fan here, can I just cut that in half or something?

Yes, you can cut the vinegar, but Adobo chicken is typically heavy in it.

Instead of 1 cup vinegar, try 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup dry white wine, and a teaspoon of freshly ground or sliced ginger.

If doing it in a regular pot, play around with browning the chicken first in a little bit of oil as well before adding the liquid.

YeOldeStonecat

I'm a fan of it heavy on the vinegar.

I usually do drumsticks.....I'll sprinkle pepper, thyme, ginger powder on them..and sear them in a deep pot (olive oil on bottom) to brown the sides...even almost crisp on the skin.

Then I'll pour in an entire quart of vinegar, and 1 small bottle of soy sauce. Toss in some chopped garlic, sliced onions, more thyme, and sometimes some chopped ginger.

Cook covered for approx 35-40 minutes.

Serve over white rice.

AllenOK

I've done this once or twice. I'm not crazy about white vinegar. I know it's traditional to make Adobo chicken with white vinegar, but I prefer to use rice wine vinegar. The taste isn't as strong.