The easiest pulled pork ever.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

ingredients:

1 tube of pork tenderloin
8oz's of Coke (Coca Cola) (I used diet coke since that is what I had)
1 bottle of BBQ sauce.

Instructions:
Put pork tenderloin, coke and BBQ sauce in slow cooker. Bring to boil and back down to medium heat and cook for 9 hours or more.

Take pork out of slow cooker and pull apart in oven dish. Pour juices from slow cooker over pork. Bake on 350 for one hour.

We had this at my sister in laws and just tried the recipe ourselves. We let it cook overnight and it smells and tastes great. So easy. Even I can do it. :yum:

Attachments

• IMG_0999r.JPG
    IMG_0999r.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_1003r.JPG
    IMG_1003r.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_1004r.JPG
    IMG_1004r.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_1006r.JPG
    IMG_1006r.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_1007r.JPG
    IMG_1007r.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 398

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It is good but I'm also hoping for add ons / tips to make it even better and I know you guys are just the ones to spice this one up.

On the directions .... I got to wondering if maybe she meant to add more BBQ sauce from a bottle instead of what the pork was cooked in. Do ya think that would make much of a difference? What else might one do to spice it up a tad?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sprinkle BBQ rub on the pork before you put it in the crock.

Lee

homecook

Doc, when I make my version of pulled pork I use a pork butt in the slow cooker. It's an old family recipe we've been doing for years. It's not original by any means. lol

5-7 lb. pork butt
3 lb. coarse chopped onions

Let cook for 10-12 hours on low., When it's ready to shred, drain some of the liquid and add a bottle of ketchup and 3-4 T. vinegar. You can also add a can or two of green chilis.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We had talked of a rub for next time.

Thanks for the idea Barb!!! :thumb:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
It sounds like you have a lot of 'sweet' in there. I'd add some vinegar and some 'hot'.

You could also just add a good pinch of dried red pepper flakes, or a few dashes of tabasco or hot sauce, or some chipotle or ancho chile powder.

But I wouldn't do them all at once!!! :dizzy:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Looks great Doc! :clap:

The only thing that bothers me is that the recipe uses a Tenderloin, the most tender part of the pig, and pricey (per pound) to boot.

Cooking it for 9 hours in the CP and then an hour in the oven is overkill for such a tender cut of meat. Tenderloins are far better grilled or broiled.

But, the overall recipe is perfect for the cheaper, tougher Pork Butt. I’d do the same thing with a pork butt next time, but use real cola as the real sugar is important for caramelization. Also, add a dash of Apple Cider vinegar (1/4 cup - so reduce the BBQ sauce by 1/4 cup) and some Frank’s Hot Sauce (3-4 Tbsp).

I don’t think cooking it in the oven after a 9-10 our stint in the CP is necessary, but you could if you’re looking to evaporate and thicken the sauce.

Otherwise, just drain the meat (use a colander or tongs to pull it out) and catch the sauce. Then on the stove top, boil the sauce for a bit to thicken it - as it’s reducing, taste it, and add more seasoning like cayenne, red pepper flakes, vinegar, cracked pepper, etc. I usually don’t use liquid smoke for anything other than jerky, but you could add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of liquid smoke to the sauce as it is reducing to give it some smokey flavor. Or maybe smoked paprika instead.

Once the sauce on the stove top has reduced by 1/4 to 1/2, pour it back over the shredded meat.

Also, instead of putting all the drained meat back in that sauce, keep some out “dry” and try serving it on a bun with cole slaw and a generous splash of North Carolina Sauce (vinegar based sauce). That stuff really soaks into the bun making for a lovely and almost soggy treat! Plus the cole slaw adds a nice crunch - think of cole slaw to pulled pork as you do lettuce to a hamburger!

http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the tips SS and Keltin. It sounds truly mouthwatering the way you described the dry with the cole slaw and splash of North Carolina Sauce Keltin. :thumb:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the tips SS and Keltin. It sounds truly mouthwatering the way you described the dry with the cole slaw and splash of North Carolina Sauce Keltin. :thumb:

Well, be careful......it's a bit addictive! Be prepared for a nap if you go that route! :lol: :thumb:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Doc uses Sweet Baby Ray's.
Always knew there was a reason to love him LOL
Looks fab daahlink..

Mr. Green Jeans

But, the overall recipe is perfect for the cheaper, tougher Pork Butt. I’d do the same thing with a pork butt next time, but use real cola as the real sugar is important for caramelization. Also, add a dash of Apple Cider vinegar (1/4 cup - so reduce the BBQ sauce by 1/4 cup) and some Frank’s Hot Sauce (3-4 Tbsp).

I've switched hot sauce loyalty from Franks to Tapatio. About the same amount of BTU's as Franks but more flavorful. This looks perfect for a pork shoulder though the COke would act as a tenderizer. Good call!